Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

This for me is Trip hop at its seminal best, an album that is grainy , harsher and supplying scratchy atmospherics – that goes beyond their first album Dummy. At times some of the tracks seem to lead one down a somewhat dark path, but it’s a path worth treading. Others will say that this album is more of an acquired taste, and compared to their debut album Dummy, far too experimental. None the less for me this is a deliciously wicked album that satisfies my tastes, for those wishing to expand their musical tastes, and enjoy alternative rock then this album is really worth sampling.
on 7 January 2010
This is Portishead's best CD by a mile. I bought this a month ago and have been playing it non-stop. I've since bought their other 2 CDs and and they just don't have the creepy, brooding atmosphere.
on 29 January 2002
Hey! I'm sitting here reading the other views and it seems that people don't like this album as much as Dummy. I'm amazed. This is a far more mature offering than their first album, wonderfully mixing Billie Holiday with messed up mood music. Maybe it's not for everybody, but this is one of my very favourite albums. Think Brother's Quay animation and you are not too far from the aural equivalent.
on 18 June 2000
Although the debut album "Dummy" was better than this album, this one is pretty damn good. The songs 'All Mine', 'Western Eyes' and 'Only You' have all the excellence of the old album, but include more mixing which some may not appretiate. I do though.
on 31 October 2012
Of all the albums to come out of the Bristol scene in the late 90s, Portishead's second album most closely approximates the sound that triphop seemed to be trying to achieve. Darkly it broods, a great haunted house of an album, full of long shadows and creaking floorboards and discord lurking around every corner. Yet like any good ghost story, its effect is spellbinding and finds its perfect complement in Massive Attack's Mezzanine, that other totem of triphop. Largely neglected, like the middle child that it is: for me their best.
on 25 October 2000
The litmus tests of how much you gain from any album must be how often you listen to it, and do you listen to all of it. I have owned this CD for some time now and it has consistently been at the front of my collection. Unlike many other CD's in my collection I can not abide to pick out my favourite tracks before moving onto another disc. I do have my favourites of course but they are appreciated best in the context of the album as a whole. The dark rich and complex production is thoroughly absorbing. Don't "listen" to this album - feel it.
on 14 August 2003
Whilst many may lament the demise of Portishead in the light of this second album, I would endeavour to argue that this self-titled second offering represents a far more mature, more brooding, and ultimately more satisfying listening experience than Dummy. It's hard to single out any tracks for special praise for this is an album constructed to be listened to as a whole, and as such each song stands out. Please buy this album and give it the chance to grow on you. It's worth it.
on 24 April 2003
I loved their first album. And thought they could do no better. Than I placed this in and was floored. This was just such a great step up. I am not an advocate of altered states of mind through chemical means and this album proves you can achieve natural highs with the application of applied frequencies of sound, this is a drug, a good drug with a good high and no signs of withdraw over here though I keep playing it over and over and over again.
on 3 December 2002
Do not believe the nonsense that this is not as good as " Dummy ".The band have matured and honed their craft.
"Dummy" was a collection of great tracks. "Portishead" is a brilliant ALBUM !!!, not just a collection of songs, but an evolving thematic masterpiece.
Musically, lyrically and production wise this is as good as it gets.
on 11 February 2016
Portishead as an album is great there music is brilliant but with Beth Gibbons vocals it takes there music to a different level , once you've heard this you will want to hear every album they've ever made .