Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 April 2017
Was extremely disappointed with the track listings felt cheated as not a good cross section of just how brilliant there songs were
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 February 2015
This 1993 import collection might not offer the best of liner notes or indeed the most tracks, but it still ranks in my eyes as one of the best compilations of The Jam's music in terms of price and variety.

Here we have an electric mix of some of the band's best known songs alongside the lesser known, and if I'm honest, I picked this one up intentionally for the title track 'Beat Surrender', which was surprisingly absent on my other compilation. Other classics on also here include the band's signature hits 'Town Called Malice' and 'That's Entertainment', as well as some interesting fillers like 'Batman Theme'.

'Beat Surrender' is a sweet single CD of the famous, and not so famous material from a great British band I've always enjoyed, and who continue to influence.
on 24 February 2005
In my opinion The Jam are one of the best british bands of teh past 25 years. Many of their classic songs such as Thats Entertainment, Town Called Malice and Private Hell are on here. At £3.33 this is an absolute bargain. A great CD at a fantastic price!
on 15 June 2006
If your looking for 'thrash it out' punk such as the sex pistols or the Ramones, you've come to the wrong place. The Jam offer many different types of music on this album, from raw and rebellious lyrics with fast drumming in The modern world, to softer love songs recorded on acoustic guitar.

Buy it, and jam it out.
on 18 September 2016
I'm not the biggest Jam fan admittedly so they fall into the category of the bands for which I buy a 'best of' compilation then perhaps a few albums if I really enjoy the lesser known songs on the compilation. This is a fanastic showcase of The Jam's (and in particular Paul Weller's of course) raw talent honed to (almost) perfection through hard graft and that particularly magical soundstage you get when a really tight 3-piece mixes an abundance of energy with pure songwriting ability. In my humble opinion The Police and Cream pulled off the same 'trick'.

Beat Surrender opens with the wonderful title track - straight in at the deep end with bags of energy and driving you into the rest of the album where we find a mix of well known track you would expect to find on a compilation and (at least to me) lesser and previsouly unheard tracks. It's a great tracklist from start to finish and a wonderful introduction to The Jam.
on 25 January 2005
This compilation accurately portrays a band in transition. From the rawness of "In the City" via the melodic "That's Entertainment" through to the title track "Beat Surrender" it shows how an energy-laden punk band matured into a class act. Whilst I have some time for Paul Weller's solo stuff, I am convinced that the material is not as good or powerful as the the stuff the Jam produced.
on 29 September 2008
I bought this as a gift and the person I bought it for absolutley loves it and tells me I need to get my own copy!
on 28 August 2009
i cant believe that all my Jam albums/singles are still on vinyl .. they are ... this is a great cd covering arange of their hits and not always the most well known ... great value for money ... great band ... great music
When I were a mere lad, back in the days when harvestin' were done by 'and..... The Jam was the band for me, and for that matter, everyone I knew - without exception! I bought more of their "stuff" on vinyl than I care to remember, but sadly, the record player - very nearly as old as me! - has finally given up. I love the way The Jam made music, raw, emotional, and written on the back of a fag packet - buy this album if you know The Jam (in order to ensure the vinyl copy you will have lasts longer!). Also, definitely buy this album if you are a tad younger than me, and missed out on a GREAT time in modern music's history. What Paul Weller does now is regularly excellent, and mature. This? Always excellent, and always going to get you wanting to start jumping!!
on 2 January 2016
Amazing seller and brilliant quality CD which arrived very quickly