Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 May 2000
Andrew Litton directs an extremely sympathetic Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, which balances accompanying and tutti passages with extreme mastery. The sheer extravagance of the solo part reflects the ability that Litolff himself possessed, being a renowned pianist throughout Europe. No lesser a pianist could accomplish the demands of these concertos, demonstrating why Peter Donohoe is currently one of Britain's most respected pianists. The combined technical and musical brilliance present in this recording, particularly notable in the two Scherzos, make it argueably one of the best currently on the market.
on 7 August 2009
Not being an expert on classical music I bought this CD because of a snippet I heard on Classic FM. I had never heard of the composer but am an admirer of Peter Donohoe and our local orchestra.
Except for the little I had heard previously, both concertos were new to me but both appealed and had tunes I could hum. Thoroughly enjoyable if you like romantic music!!
on 7 April 2006
when i first hear tha almost manic dedication of this composers music I was breathtaken, how could a man who in a sprinkling of moments had brought together not only a new romantic interpretations, but ad libbed into a whole original, but collective set of symphany. Littolf for some uncompreshensible reason almost unknown, yet his works incorporate an enigmatic cheekiness and such a diverse range of innovations that you can't help but sit back and wonder where this man came from and why he is not more celebrated. Peter Donahoe has not only revived a fading genius but bought with his performances the kind of inspiration that we all hope and expect from our grand esperantal performers. These perfomances are truly legendary and will provide a conduit into the music of a seldom encountered and barely classified French genius.
on 15 February 2010
I had heard one movement from this CD on classicfm and decided to buy a CD with it on spec. It is great - not a quiet romance but a joyous one sort of running in the fields and trowing petals in the air and jumping for joy in love type romance.

Great listening
on 11 April 2013
Wonderful recording. I knew the movement that is most often played and bought the CD for that reason, but the rest of the movements in the symphonies are also very good and I like them better each time I Iisten to the CD. Peter Donohoe is a superb pianist. A really enjoyable CD and well worth buying.
on 14 November 2012
This is the best CD I own! Wonderful music, brilliantly played by Peter Donohoe and the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. I highly recommend this CD to anyone who loves classical music performed with awesome artistry.
on 12 September 2011
I have looked for this particular piece of music for years.This recording is superb.I will have many happy moments listening.
on 22 March 2009
The Romantic Piano Concerto, 14

I am not a great lover of piano music, more a violin lover really. However I kept hearing this music played on classic fm radio. Its a joyous piece played. I think with gusto, and I truly am enjoying it. I knew nothing about the music or it's composer when I bought it. I can thoroughly reccomend it, my husband is now beginning to say 'change the record! please'
on 14 October 2012
Many years ago, it was famously Moura Lympany playing Litolff's Scherzo from Concerto

Symphonique No 4. Sadly this never made it to CD. Now Peter Donahoe's is the

acclaimed version, and very worthy it is too. The playing is faultless, as too the

orchestration by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Andrew Litton.
on 19 January 2015
Buy it for Track 6 alone - a stunning 6 minutes and 29 seconds of the famous Scherzo. As with most of what is played on Classic FM, this is the only really worthwhile and tuneful part of the larger works.