Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£16.53+ £1.26 shipping

on 11 March 2004
Weak material, bad mixes, yeah, we've all read about that Presley mid-60s artistic dilemma: although the movies and soundtracks were doing less business, they still rolled along (sometimes *rocked*).
The "Spinout" sessions didn't yield a much better sound than what we heard on the previous "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" - Elvis and quartet too far forward, rhythm section too far back, echo too "dry".
The racing car flick does have some committed vocals, however, on the contemporary Rock and Soul title tune, supported by some interesting (what sounds like) Leslie organ playing; on another uptempo song given a nice movie production number, "Adam And Evil"; "Stop, Look, And Listen", also done by Rick Nelson and Bill Haley; and "I'll Be Back", the finale, a good 4/4 walkin' blues, actually in the "Money Honey" vein.
Too bad that "Smorgasbord" and "Beach Shack" are typically flimsy, somewhat embarrassing cuts which degrade the whole affair.
You can't blame the star or the musicians who include D. J. Fontana, Floyd Cramer, and Homer "Boots" Randolph, legendary figures who perform terrifically. To repeat, the lyrics and the mastering are the real problem. And here we have the actual session, not expanded with strong "Bonus Tracks" as on the original vinyl.
"Double Trouble" was the next project, and again we have a few fun (uptempo) items like the title tune, "Baby, If You'll Give Me All Your Love", well-presented on film, plus the jazzy medium-tempo after-hours "City By Night" dragged down by titles the fans can easily name by now. The CD sound ofcourse is a vast improvement over the original 12-inch, but once more the sonics lack resonance. The historian can appreciate the fact that the above-named musicians are heard gain on this set.
on 7 May 2011
Spinout is excellent in my opinion. I think it should've been a number 1 album. Spinout is an excellent song, I think this is his most underrated album, a time in which I think critics and fans looked for the bad and never saw the good. Never Say Yes and Adam and Evil to me are also excellent. I like every other song on it as well. It's pretty much all rock and roll and I love rock and roll sung by Elvis. Double Trouble is more like 4 stars to me. I like some songs on it, There's So Much World To See, City By Night, Long Legged Girl, to name a few. I hate when people even bring up Old Macdonald, really I know Elvis shouldn't have sung it but he did, live with it. It's probably the best version of the song, yet everybody bashes it. I just wish Elvis would've sung it with a little more energy, you know really rock it out, but it sounds alright. To me the worst song is I Love Only One Girl. I'm a huge Elvis fan, but that song I just don't like. Maybe it's the instrumentation or the lyrics, but whatever it is, I just could never get into that song. Overall, I love both soundtracks. Spinout to me will always be one of Elvis' most underappreciated works. Double Trouble is above average for an Elvis movie soundtrack. I can listen to this all the way through hitting the skip button only on I Love Only One Girl. 20+ songs, only skip one song. I think that qualifies as an excellent album, but this is coming from a diehard Elvis fan.
on 26 May 2010
there's not much in the way of fire and enthusiasm in these songs.
If it were not for the King himself singing them, I would not own it.
on 14 August 2013
2 original albums from ELVIS's movie years with perfect remasterd sound. Not very popular songs, but still a must for each true ELVIS fan. TCB
on 9 December 2010
I prefer to review albums on there own but as most people will buy these two as a double feature I will do them together.
Firstly the combined running time of these two albums is I think only 35 minutes that is because R.c.a have short chnaged the fans by not including the original bonus tracks of both albums total of 6 songs, 'It wont be long' is included which was a bonus track on 'Double trouble'( you can get the other tracks on the Elvis box 60s masters).
SPINOUT= This is the better of the two albums and I would give it 3 stars as a stand alone album there does seem to be an attempt to give Elvis some fairly decent songs to sing ,though nothing really stands out its not a bad album to listen to, bonus tracks on original album are worth a listen. Overall an average film soundtrack which wont have you reaching for the fast forward button.
DOUBLE TROUBLE= As I recall not a bad film same cant be said for the soundtrack its nearly as bad as 'Girl happy' only 2 decent tracks on it 'could i fall in love' and 'City by night' the rest is rubbish. Released as single'Long legged girl ' has to be the worst Elvis single ever and as it only got to 49 in the English charts its seems the record buying puplic though so as well ( after this Elvis started getting good songs to sing' Guitar man 'came next). .Who ever gave Elvis 'old macDonald' to sing should be ashamed of themselves its terrible , a total waste of Elvis's talent.
As a stand alone album I would only give this 1 star and only because of 'Could i fall in love and 'City by night' otherwise it would be 0 stars.
on 2 July 2016
Always nice to find Elvis soundtrack cd's
on 10 January 2016