Customer reviews

Mumtaz Mahal
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 February 2012
Despite sounding like an Indian restaurant, this album features Taj Mahal the US blues musician playing together with Indian musicians Vishwa Mohan Bhatt on mohan vina and Narendra Ravikiran on chitra vina. I enjoyed the instrumental pieces "Coming of the Mandinka" and "Rolling on the sea" which are exotic and melodic and at times it is hard to pick out just which instrument is playing. It has always been accepted that blues evolved from African music but perhaps here is a connection between blues slide guitar and these two Indian instruments, also played with slides.

The other tracks are from Taj's blues and gospel repertoire, I found Robert Johnson's "Come home in my kitchen" way too long and I thought the Indian instruments actually detracted from the rhythm and flow of Taj's performance. "Mary don't you weep" worked a bit better but the melodic flow of "Stand by me" was also disrupted by the additional instruments. "Johnny too bad" was probably the most successful song but frankly I much prefer Taj's solo versions of these songs. Although there is no doubting that Bhatt and Ravikiran are very accomplished musicians, I thought that their contributions sounded very hesitant and under-rehearsed and while this may be an interesting exercise I think that ultimately it isn't a success.
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 22 August 2009
I bought this after hearing the version of Johnny too bad on the radio some time ago. The rest of the cd is not as good as that particular track (but not many tunes are). I can recomend the rest of the cd is as well. Great stuff.
|0Comment|Report abuse