Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 July 2017
This album had the most haunting song I had heard for long time when I discovered the amazing Sarah Mclachlan, I actually discovered it on the OST of City of Angels and just had to find the lady with such the most beautiful voice. I have gone on to get most of Sarah's work and she never disappoints but for me this album is the one I love the most because this was the introduction to an amazing artist
on 2 December 2017
I bought this record because I was so blown away with Afterglow, which as an album is pretty much perfect. I had heard that Surfacing was kind of considered Sarah's most popular or even best album, in general, but I can't agree. Whilst it is ok, and pleasant enough there aren't more than a couple of tracks that really hit the spot with me. If I was going to recommend a single album, Afterglow is most definitely the one I would go for.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 May 2011
I can see that nearly everyone seems to love this album, and I'm certainly no exception. I heard of Canadian singer-songwriter Sarah McLachlan almost by accident, ordered this CD, listened, and fell in love.
Take a dash of Joni, a hint of Tori, an echo of kd lang, mix it all together and add a large helping of Sarah's own huge talent and musical intelligence, and you have a very lovely set of songs to soothe the most savage of breasts.
I saw her live on TV, and was struck by a splendidly offbeat quality as she held forth from the piano, her 'jolie laide' features captivating me with their rangy sensuality, and her singing taking me to places where a singer worth the name should always take a listener.
I dont intend to go through each track on this beautifully programmed collection, suffice it to say that there isn't one moment on this haunting disc that jars or lets the side down, as it were. Sarah's voice soars & seduces in equal measure.
Canada has given the world some of its finest singer-songwriters - Neil Young, Joni, Cohen, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Robbie Robertson, and of course the inimitable Gordon Lightfoot - and now we have the superb Sarah.
Of the two albums I've heard, the other being Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, this is by some way the one to have.

Mesmerising, addictive, sumptuous, seductive.
on 25 April 2006
I've never been the greatest music fan. Sure there are tracks I like, singles I like, but I've never been one to follow a particular artist through thick or thin. In my first year at University in the UK I met a Canadian from Vancouver who had more CDs than I had ever seen in one place at one time. In his collection I found this album and quickly went out and bought my own. His obsession with VW cars I have forgiven, the introduction to the Onion I have elsewhere acknowledged, my lifelong addiction to this album I now admit.

I don't know what it is. Other singers have equally great voices, other musicians have similarly great ability, other lyricists make you ponder as much. There is just something about this album that I love. Whatever mood I am in, from bleak recently dumped depression to uplifting joy, I can play this album and it is appropriate. I like other tracks by Sarah McLachlan and own her other albums; tastes change and other artists come and go but no matter what I listened to last this album is suitable next.

You may be looking for a detailed analysis of musical metre, verse structure or beat arrangement. I have no idea about any of these things (and may have made at least one of these up). What I can say is that this is a superbly personal album from a female singer songwriter that has touched me from the moment I first heard it almost a decade ago, and continues to thrill, excite and sustain me to this day. Give it a try. Then buy all your friends a copy.
on 6 March 2013
The best Sarah CD of them all... without a doubt... you don't need to ask me twice. I sang a cover of the entire CD one time whilst on holiday in Germany since I enjoyed it so much... There's not ONE word to ANY of the songs that I don't know by heart :-) and more importantly, there's not one song that I don't adore!
on 24 September 2017
Not my normal bag but great voice and worth it just for Angels
on 17 October 2017
I've bought this album 3 times. I have lent it to previous girlfriends who never returned it. :-( I never tire of listening to it.
All the tracks are superb. A hidden gem
on 20 April 2009
Some albums sound great the first time through, others a `slow-burners' that you learn to love. `Surfacing' is both of these in one; the song writing is exemplary and when added to Sarah's distinctive voice, vulnerable and yet featuring her distinctive falsetto makes this a `must have' album. Maybe I'm reaching to far however there seems to be something distinctly Canadian about Sarah's music, a freedom shared by Alanis. `Building a mystery' rates as my favourite track and with tracks such as `full of grace', Adia' and `Angel' you simply cannot go wrong. A keeper.
on 14 September 2016
Classic album. Must have for all music fans.
on 30 October 2017
Beautiful voice,such an amazing voice!