Customer reviews

So Tonight That I Might See
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 September 2017
fade into you is my fav song on here. love this album.classic
on 7 October 2017
Fantastic album!!
on 4 September 2017
Great album
on 8 September 2017
Excellent
on 27 July 2010
Stumbled across Mazzy Star whilst watching Down In The Valley (Edward Norton/Evan Rachel Wood). Stopped the DVD in order to find out who was playing, it was that good.

Most of the tracks from that film were from their third album, Among My Swan. In my opinion this one, their second, is even better.

For me, the stand-out tracks are 'Mary Of Silence', 'Five String Serenade' and the gently heart-wrenching 'Into Dust'. But it's foolish to pick tracks out. This is an album that creates a mood, an emotion, and for me it's best played from start to finish, maybe when you're someplace in Arizona, halfway between waking and sleeping.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 November 2017
This is such a lovely album and even after all these years I still love to hear it and never get tired of it. I think it's probably my favorite Mazzy Star album and definitely a good one as an introduction for someone who hasn't heard any Mazzy Star before. It's fuzzy, warm, enchanting, drifty and dreamy and almost impossible not to get lost in the album after you hit play. The arrangements and her voice are so perfectly entwined and I find both the music and vocals incredibly visual and evocative. One of my all time favorite songs of hers is 'Into Dust', the second to last song on the album.
on 17 April 2017
Hope Sandoval was one of my little obsessions a few years ago,and still sends the odd shiver down my spine every time I play this and the other Mazzy Star albums.
on 9 October 2011
Never heard of Mazzy Star before, but heard the hauntingly beautiful 'In To Dust' on the advert for 'Gears of War 3' - the song was amazing enough to not only make me purchase this album (strictly on the basis of the 30 seconds commercial) but also nearly buy the darned game too!!

The album is guitar driven, to the point where on several of the tracks you can almost picture yourself in a dimly-lit cowboy bar, beer in hand, and slow dancing with the perfect cowgirl....another reviewer suggests that the album is perfect for love making; I won't go that far, but as a dreamy-cum-chill-out album, it ranks right up there.

The lyrics are often melancholy, but its the rifts and cords which your ear will tune to, rather than the words - which is a very rare achievement for any band/ musician nowadays (where songs are often shouted, rather than sung). Mazzy's voice is amazing.

All tracks flow in to each other and I dare say could, perhaps, sound the same if you didn't appreciate this kind of music. However 'In To Dust' remains the stand out track, although others come close and, dammit, I'm old enough to say that I like something different and this is about as different to my normal musical tastes as I could get and its on that basis that I would encourage you to make this purchase, I doubt that you'll be disappointed...
on 10 April 2001
Forget manufactured, plastic 'bands' who neither play their own instruments, write their own songs or sing live....discover Mazzy Star. This album is classic Mazzy; Sandoval's haunting vocals, hinting of dark events in any listener's life. Roback's folk/country/blues guitar complementing the mood perfectly. Fade Into You opens the album promising an unequalled experience; Bells Ring, Five String Serenade and Into Dust all deliver.There isn't a bum track or a filler on this album. It is a late night, alcohol soaked recording that will appeal to anyone with a serious, thoughtful and mature appetite.Buy it and you'll still be playing it when other bands of the moment are seeking second careers.
on 11 July 2009
... but if I were to go, to wander in the fields in the pitch black night lit with only the huge, hovering moon to protect my path forwards? As I pushed my way through the waist high corn, slightly drunk in the mid summer humidity, if I were in love and yearning another? This album would do just fine as a soundtrack.

Less 'aggressive' and feedbacky than their first album and not quite as acoustic as their last; there are plucked strings, drones and dead-pan vocals aplenty to make this for me Mazzy Star's best and the one I'd recommend you to seek out (at least at first - then get the other two).