Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 September 2004
...Shannon Hoon was a true talent who lived beyond his limits and paid the price.
I first heard this album 11 years ago on my return from a year travelling. My brother had bought it and found a band of such wonderous sounds that he couldn't stop raving about them and the vocal talents of one Shannon Hoon. After hearing the band for the first time (and this sounds so corny - but it is so true) I was a fan. The guy can SING! the band work as one and the heartbreaking vocals and sweet sweet harmonies are just a joy to behold.
I would hold this album up against the exquisite Either/Or by Elliott Smith as a true album to make the blues go away and to sip whiskey to with your loved ones as the sun sets in the west!
Just tell me that Change is not the most moving song you've heard. It's heartbreaking.
R I P - Blind Melon, I only wish you'd stayed around long enough to allwo me to see you live.
on 29 December 2001
There is a song on this album to express every thought in your mind. It is truly influential and magical. Shannon's vocals are pure magic and the rest of the band sound terrific.
It is rare to find an album where every song is perfect but this is one of them. There is not a single note out of place and the fantastic interpretation in 'Paper Scratcher' of homelessness touched me deep inside of my soul.
Pure beauty.
-x-
on 19 January 2016
An absolutely amazing album, some of best and most unique music to come out of the 90s. Musicians like those of Blind Melon are hard to come by these days. Each song is unique, the album varies greatly and will be a pleasant surprise for anyone who has just heard the classics such as 'No Rain'. I also recommend 'Nico' as it is also a great album (named after Shannon's child upon his passing). The album is also very well recorded and mastered in the form I have it which is 0777 7 96585 2 7 CD. I think this is the original CD issue on Capitol.
on 15 December 2014
One of the best "grunge" era albums ever made in my opinion....I've owned this album about four times on CD, having lost it to ex-girlfriends or lent to a mate and never got it back.
I would say that this is one of those rare albums that you will listen to the whole way through and not cherry pick the tracks, they sound like they were enjoying themselves when they recorded it and that makes it all the better.
Solid, gorgeous sounds and poignant lyrics whilst never sounding over produced, that's what sets it aside for me, the fact that they sounded like they felt and meant every word.
on 22 April 2013
This is Blind Melon's first release from 1993 and what a great record it is. It is very much from this era, a sort of prog Pearl Jam. If you like great melodies, vocals and awesome guitars / musicianship then this is one for you to explore. You will not be disappointed. If you can, get a copy of this 2LP "Record Store Day" 2013, 20th anniversary vinyl edition. The discs are pressed on heavy vinyl (nice and quiet)and the cover and inners are printed on heavy stock card. A nice job has been done. This version blows away the cd for sound quality and side 4 consists of the previously unreleased "Sippin' Time Sessions". These sessions are wonderful. At a guess they sound like live demos for the album but are very well recorded. At the start of "Tones of Home" there a yapping dog in the room for the first few seconds - it's great. There is alot of energy in them and they show off how accomplished this band were. Recommended even if you have the cd.
on 10 March 2000
This album from start to finish is a masterpiece. Shannon Hoon was a modern day genius, and is greatly missed by everybody that listened to Blind Melon. This was Blind Melon's debut album but they also released the wonderful Soup and the compilation Nico - both wonderful albums. America was obsessed with the song 'No Rain' but don't let that put you off the album! 'Change' is possibly the most poignant, and inturn best song on the album - beautifully crafted. Please buy this and mellow in the album's greatness. Rest in peace.
on 17 August 2013
Can't remember how I came accross Blind Melon, but I just loved the upbeat sound of their lazy hippy music. My favourite is number 7 - No Rain. Listen to the exeprts and see them on you tube. I think thats where I stumbled accross them. I'm playing it now while I write this review and I've got goose bumps. hope you like too. Shame they are no longer around.....
on 30 August 2007
What a terrific album, though I really found it to be a slow-burner. Back when it came out in 1992 I got a copy on tape from a mate of mine. I'd only just rediscovered music back then, and as a result I only had 5 or 6 tapes having eschewed the hair metal crap a year or 2 before when I realised I didn't actually like any of it. So it was 2 years before I discovered music existed that I did actually like.

Every three weeks or so my parents and I would get in the car and drive 2 and a half hours to Newcastle to visit my sister at university. Naturally, I had my walkman with me, and my collection of 5 or 6 tapes that were steadily growing in number. I didn't get much pocket money back then. I always took this album with me, and more often than not it was the first one I chose to play. I think I used to just think of it as preparing myself for one of the tapes I REALLY liked. Strange, I know, but this went on for months until one day I realised I absolutely loved this record. I loved every element: the melodies that you try to sing along to, but actually can't because Shannon Hoon's voice is so high, and his vocal drifts off on some mad run that you just can't reach. The drums that jump from one time signature to another, and never seem to repeat a pattern often enough for you to figure out what it's doing while the bass plays atound the beat but sticks so tightly to it. And what about the guitars? They are unbelievable. Essentially both Rogers Stevens and Christopher Thorn are playing lead guitar AT THE SAME TIME! It's so intricate and delicate, sounds so difficult yet never showy. I always intended to listen to this album with one speaker disconnected, and then the other so that I could listen JUST to one guitar at a time, but after all these years I've never done it cos when I'm about to, I always think, "nah, why ruin it? I'll listen to it properly again".

A few years later I bought the second album, "Soup". On the day I bought it I listened to it 5 times in a row - the only record I've ever done that with (mind you, I was a student myself by then: I had that kind of time). I actually thought it was an improvement on this first album. I actually became so obsessed with it that for a while whenever I started to say anything, I started saying "Blind Melon" first, like: "Blin- er... yes, I'll come to the pub".

Anyway, that record seems to me to have dated a little now. A few months ago a friend came round with a Jefferson Airplane CD, and when I heard it I immediately loved it, and it reminded me of Blind Melon. He'd never heard of them so I decided to play him one of the CDs. I opted for "Soup", and wish I hadn't because there was something less vital about it, and it didn't sound as much like the Airplane as I had thought.

I should have played this first album because it hasn't dated at all - it already sounded old when it was released. And I can still listen to it now and be amazed. It's really stood the test of time with me.
on 4 September 2003
There are arguably many albums that could go down as the finest to never be recognised fully. Metallica's '..And Justice For All', is their best record, which was unfortunatly let down by the production, Pearl Jam's 'Ten' is always overshadowed by Nirvana's overrated, 'Nevermind' and as for Nirvana themselves, 'In Utero' is one of the greatest albums ever written, and The Doors s/t album doesn't get half the attention it deserves. And although it was 2 years since I bought this, I have to say that Blind Melon's debut s/t album is an unsung classic that I've only just discovered. Because if you don't like it straight away, it will grow on you, if not inside you.
I originally bought this, as many will have, for their surprise hit single, 'No Rain' with it's cheery attitude, which hides a much more saddening core, but slowly but surely I learnt to love this. It took me a little while, it might not take people that long, because it really is instantly likeable. Through its rootsy style, 'Blind Melon' contains 13 catchy, beautifully made, often over-the-top in a good way, songs which captivate and delight. Opener 'Soak The Sin' makes you smile through its rocky glory, and at this point you're thinking that the 70's are back and you hope that they're not going away for the next 12 songs either. Well you won't be disappointed, 'Tones Of Home' providing something similar but at the same time very different, with its shiney outside, and its longing menaning, the think-twice but ultimately totally free attitude of 'I Wonder', the contemplative acoustic ballad, 'Change', and the dozey, 'Sleepyhouse', which at the time of release this was something of a refreshing change from the lows of Nirvana and Alice In Chains.
If you like the likes of Skynrd, Led Zeppelin, maybe even a bit of Neil Young with a more upbeat attitude, you couldn't go far wrong with 'Blind Melon', an album and band that you're more likely not to have heard of despite their immense talent, and vocalist Shannon Hoon's Zeppelin-esque vocals.
But the early 90's was a rock revolution for sure, with seemingly every rock style getting some attention, and although 'Blind Melon' did, it wasn't nearly enough, because it was hastily overshadowed by a new generation that rejected what Blind Melon were preaching, for self-hatred and angst. Which one would you honestly prefer?
5 Stars.
on 1 May 2003
With such a distinctive style (Jazzy/country/rocky - does sound gd honestly) and singing voice it is too easy to label this incredibly lifting album similar throughout and ultimately boring when you first listen to it. However, this would be a grosse mis-interpretation of what I beleive to be one of the best albums ever (a line that I realise is thrown around too easily).
Although the lyrics are for the most part rather depressing, the music itself is anything but, the xenith of the album being the songs 'Change' that follows into 'No Rain' (My personal favourite). The more I listen to this album the more I adore its simple charm that envelops u rather than confronts. Like many artist such as The Smashing Pumpkins, Jeff Buckley and Pearl Jam, Blind Melons beauty starts with their lead singers voice - a high, quiet, almost rasping voice that should not really appeal but actually sounds amazing. It does not end here, its levels of guitars and varying musical form make this an overwhelming experience (If one resist to its subtle charm). O yeh, must say that it is really a summer album, if u know wot I mean