Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 November 1999
The only words to decribe this album are that it is a work of flawed genius, but we have come to expect that from The Artist. The album is spread over 3 CD's, each being exactly 60 minutes in duration, with each CD having it's own style. The first CD has some gems like Somebodys Somebody, Betcha by Golly Wow, I Can't Make You Love Me and In This Bed I Scream. The second CD has more of a sexual theme with tracks such as Sex In The Summer (complete with his then pregnant wifes ultrasound playing in the background), One Kiss At A Time, The Holy River and Friend, Lover, Sister, Mother/ Wife (this song was played at The Artists wedding). The third CD on this album is a little odd, with the style ranging from techno through to house, then rap, onto pop and then finishing with gospel! The standout tracks on this final CD are New World, La,La,La Means I Love U, The Love We Make and the fantastic cover of Joan Osbournes' classic song One Of Us. There are a lot of great tracks on this CD, but also there are a few that just don't make it. But Prince fans have learned to appreciate the mans inability to make a completely flawless album. Overall then, I would heartily recommend this album to any Prince fan.
on 4 July 2016
The album was not bad as I thought. It has several good songs, This would be an R&B album by Prince. I would have liked to hear some R&B , rock, pop , and funk in this album. If you like Prince's music, you are going to like this 3 cd album.
on 30 June 2016
Genius. I do not love the explicit contents but the music is always beautiful. The booklet made me really sad. It's full of love for Mayte and their son. The son that unfortunately never was. I loved avery second of this record.
on 24 November 1999
After owning this album for sometime,and speaking as a true Prince fan ,this is a must for all fans.The variety of songs on this three cd compilation is awesome,from the 1st cd containing classic funk tracks such as Jam of the year with the artist playing some of his wildest guitar solos to a cover of What can i say to make you love me is such the variety.From the second cd containing such tracks as The holy river,and the 3rd containing a recent song from a well known tv advert,The Artist again shows that he is not afraid to experiment,be himself and record the music that he wants to record.After recent disappointing albums by his standards,this truly places The Artist back up there with the gods.,
on 2 February 2013
I have own this album since it came out, which is now quite a while and from the start it has been a favourite. It is a real shame that it is so overlooked. This is his 'Here my Dear' album and yes there is some blanks, but there are gems. His covers ( Betcha by Golly Wow on disc 1 and LaLa means I love you on the third) are delightful and touching, using the more fragile aspects of his voice. Disc two has three classic ballads that have stood the test of time for me: Soul sanctuary, the Holy River and Friend, Lover, Sister, Mother/Wife. The third album has the 'hit' (One of Us) which is not my cup of tea sentiment wise, but a good tune nonetheless (slightly spoiled by not being able to get out of my head the image of that dreadful woman who also sang it). Worth a mention are also Right back here in my Arms on disc 1, and My Computer on 3, both good middle of the road Prince songs.
on 25 April 2014
This is Prince unfettered to the tune of 3 hours of music! Although you may appreciate the reason for some editorial input at times, it is nevertheless a wonderful thing to listen to if you are already a fan. I am not recommending anyone start their journey with him here - for me Graffiti Bridge, Batman and Purple Rain are the best way to do that. All my opinion only :)
on 2 June 2004
After a little while with being less than enamoured with Warner Bros comes Emancipation. You expect the unexpected with Prince and here it is. 3 CD's, 180 minutes of music, even the odd cover and all the variety and quality you could ask for. The first CD would be the conventional pop album, the second a love tribute to then wife Mayte (check out Friend, Lover, Sister, Mother, Wife for confirmation that the man was in LURVE !!) and the third more experimental, and the best in my view. Not one for those with short attention spans but for music lovers this is a must.
on 9 July 2016
This is a pure talent, I would have bought so much more of his work if I`d only known it existed, Any way I`ll start now.
on 11 December 1999
Don't be put off by the purples one's previous few albums. This truly is Prince at his best and sees him regaining the form he showed on his brilliant early material (Purple Rain, Sign of the Times etc.). The ballads are beautiful and the other song are fast funky numbers with mean bass lines.
on 21 June 2000
a fantastic collection of songs. Disk one has some classics, Jam of the Year, Get yo groove on and we gets up are just incredible. Disk two just has nothing on it for me. Disk three is in a totally different collection of styles but once u listen a few times also brilliant. Face Down and Emancipation stand out as being especially deserving of merit.