Customer reviews

on 21 December 2016
First of all I apologize for the mistakes I willl probably do and I hope my opinion will be understable by anyone who is interested in.

I personaly discovered this drama few weeks ago on the french tv and I was amazed by its excellence.

The music is so preponderant in this drama and I appreciate it so much, that I found logical to buy the soundtrack.

I admit that it is a good album and I really enjoy listen to it. Forte piano is a nice instrument and Melvyn Tan is a great perforer, but...

When I purchased this cd, I was looking for being able to listen to my favourite pieces anywhere.

Unfortunately I can't, because most of them are just resumed in a few notes of music on a forte piano, or they are not played at all. For example, all the dances in Merryton's Ball and especially those of Netherfield's Ball (arrival in the ballroom, dance with Mr Collins, and of course, the dance with Mr Darcy which is really gorgeous... )

I wish they were recorded in the same orchestrated version as in the drama. I also particularly regret the music played by Georgiana in Pemberley while Elisabeth and Darcy exchange an intense look. What a pity because this music is splendid.

So many pieces are missing and others are played several times with slight variations, which gives the all album a little monotony. It is so sad, because Carl Davis's music is fantastic...

Would it be possible to record an other album, perhaps a luxury or collection one, with the missing pièces in the same orchestrated version as in the drama ? I am sure a lot of people as myself would appreciate and would be interested in bying it... Please think about it...
on 2 November 2005
The music from the Pride and Prejudice 1995 tv series is good music in its own right. I really love the title theme. However, if you have watched the tv series enough times, then the music is inextricably tied to what is going on in the drama, and this serves to intensify the feelings evoked by the music.
This CD is great to own if you love the TV series, as listening to the CD almost makes you feel like you are watching it again!
It is a way of re-experiencing the emotions of the drama.
on 16 December 2009
The music is just like in the drama but without the talking obviously. The only music that I felt was missing was the music that Elizabeth and Mr Darcy first danced to at Netherfield Ball and music like the barley mow. I realize that (and what I mean by not reading the small print) what I was expecting was ALL the music from the drama, and I thought that as Carl Davis and his orchestra played those pieces in the drama I listed earlier they would be in it, so I was disappointed. So apart from the missing pieces, I think that it is an okay c.d.
on 8 June 2009
If you don't mind hearing the dance music in solo piano form only, this album will be a pleasure to listen to and take you right into the world of the BBC production of Pride And Prejudice.

All the major pieces are here, from the spirited opening title music, to Mr Collins' and Lady Catherine's theme.
My favorites are the cues taken from the Pemberley scenes and the final proposal and marriage. I have shed a tear whilst listen to this CD, it's that good.

The music is played really well by a small ensemble. Inside the booklet, we discover interesting information about the instruments that were used and the performers themselves. We also discover what inspired Carl Davis when writing the music.

All in all, a really good package. And it can be listened to easily in one sitting as it clocks in at a concise 55 minutes.
on 29 November 2000
This is my favourite CD! A must-have for all who are obsessed with the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. The music just suits the film perfectly and the special tone of the pianoforte adds much to the beauty of the sound. I almost fancy myself in the past when I listen to it! I believe, I have to take pianoforte lessons so that I can play it myself!
on 11 May 2014
Purchased this soundtrack after purchasing the dvd box set of the series. So glad I did. Very nice tunes that send me back to watching the dvd straight away. Some are quieter and serene others are lively and jolly. I can listen to it again and again. The music fitted the program very well I thought
on 28 April 2013
As it is a while since this series was on BBC, we have forgotten many of the lovely short pieces of music. I really do enjoy listening to this CD as it brings a period feel alive,not to mention a temptation to bang their heads together.
on 3 March 2013
What a lovely soundtrack! Each track helps you remember scenes from the film which is a personal favourite of mine. I've listened to it so many times already and can tell I will listen to it many more times to come.
on 28 February 2015
I have wanted a copy of this for ages; I frequently read the book and continually enjoy the 1995 television series and now I have this wonderful soundtrack.What more can I say? Marvellous.
on 5 February 2013
Wanted to have the music in car to remind me of the highlights of the series but loved the series love the soundtrack