Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 April 2017
Super
on 5 October 2000
Fan's of Byrne will love this. Former Talking Heads frontman David Byrne teams with Morcheeba, Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo and the Balanescu Quartet on this album. The songs on this album range from the stylish single 'Miss America' to the quirky melody of the Sid and Nancy Love Affair in 'They are in Love', to the rock of 'The Civil Wars'. The songs mix Byrne's unique style with that of the contributing artists to form a CD that has many different styles and sounds and yet there is consistency throughout created by Byrne's songwriting and lyrics. Fans of the contributing artists will enjoy this, and the mix of styles mean that many other people will enjoy this. Fans of Bjork, Talking Heads, Blur, and Kraftwerk will find something on this they will like.
on 26 January 2010
Like a lot music fans, I knew David Byrne's work with Talking Heads, but I was unfamiliar with his solo work until I picked up a copy of this cd from a market stall. I bought it because I'd heard one track, 'Dance on Vaseline,' and I really liked it so I thought I'd see if the rest of the album was any good. Any good? It's brilliant. I've since collected every David Byrne album I can find and, though some might think it heretical, I actually think his solo work is superior to the stuff he did with Talking Heads. This is a really tight, well put together, beautifully crafted collection of songs, full of light and shade, making use of different musicians and instruments to perfectly compliment the lyrics. Those lyrics reflect Byrne's quirky, touching, sometimes dark, sometimes humorous observations of modern life, love, politics, commerce and culture. 'Miss America,' 'Wicked Little Doll,' 'Burnt by the Sun' and the exquisite 'They are in Love' are stand-out tracks for me, but every track on the album is a gem in its own right. It baffles me that music this good can be so widely ignored. Of the 2000 or so albums I own, this is one of my ten favourites. That's how good it is. Go on, give it a try.
on 21 July 2014
Byrne's best solo work. His strongest most consistent collection of songs since that other band he used to be in. If anyone asks you to nominate a David Byrne LP to start off their collection, 'Feelings' is the one to tell them.
on 27 February 2016
A good solo album, with a mixture of styles- highlight is Dance on Vaseline.