Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle New Album - Foo Fighters Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 September 2017
I have loved this album for years...a punky, rocky blend of tunes that is impossible to ignore and really quite easy to listen to. There are some real classics on here such as "Longview" and "Welcome to Paradise" but really there isn't an album filler here.

I think it works even better on vinyl and the sound quality and pressing is very good.
on 12 April 2017
great album
on 8 June 2017
Son loved it
on 23 July 2017
Excellent cd. A must have
on 22 October 2012
Love the music on this CD, and it works fine on my CD player at home. Yet when i put it into mine (and my dads for that matter) it doesn't play and it cant be burnt. We've tried it on ITunes, WMP ect yet none of them work. Is this the same for everyone or shall i return it?
on 3 August 2017
‘Dookie’ was Green Day’s major-label debut. The production is slightly rough but it adds to the punk sound, but the bass guitar is really clear. The songs are consistently great and extremely energetic; even the slower moments like “When I Come Around” or the acoustic intro to “F.O.D” have you nodding along. There are many fan favourites on here such as the aforementioned “When I Come Around”, in addition to “Longview”, “Basket Case”, “She”, and “Welcome to Paradise” (a re-recording from Kerplunk). ‘Dookie’ is often considered a classic and I think it’s with good reason; it’s consistently high quality and really infectious.
on 12 June 2000
After Kerplunk i didn't think it could get any better - it did. This album contains some of the best songs i have ever heard. Welcome to Paradise and Basket case are two of the best, with Burnout and Having a Blast not far behind. i have found with so many albums there are always songs which you can tell were made to fill space - in this there are none. All songs are well written and in not one place do you feel bored. Brilliant - if you don't have it BUY IT!
on 22 January 2015
Music is good, classic greenday really. The problem is with the disk. I could not listen to the first 4 tracks due to crackling. I researched and found that it is common with the certain producer. Therefore greenday- 4 stars and the CD- 2 stars
on 3 March 2001
This cd represents everything people associate with Green Day. The witticism of the lyrics and power of the guitar lines makes for really compulsive listening. The smart rhyming lyrics of Basket Case as well as Tre Cools masterful drum fill intro followed by a sound that you just have to mosh to make it the most popular (and almost certainly the best) song on the album. Whilst When I come Around with its slow, melodic guitar line and bass line make it one of the most catchy tracks Green Day have written. The pure genius of Welcome to Paradise's bassy feel combined with incredible drumming and witty lyrics have to be heard to be believed. These are the best three tracks on the album. However, whilst Dookie carries Green Day's greatest ever tracks it does not come up to the consistency and light-hearted feel of Nimrod. It is more separated and detached. I have still given it five stars however, and I would say if you have never heard Green Day before, buy this album before any other - you won't be disappointed.
on 22 October 2008
It's the first time I've revisited this album for a while. I don't really think of myself as a Green Day fan anymore, but this was the first record of theirs that I heard. I then bought them all up to, and including Warning (which I thought was terrible). I won't be buying American Idiot.

So I just thought I'd peruse the reviews while listening to it; there's a lot of talk of punk, but I don't see anyone mentioning The Clash anywhere... or any of Green Day's predecessors. That really shows the generation that Green Day appealed to. I'm pretty sure I was 16 or 17 when this came out, and it became standard listening for myself and all my friends. I started my first band, and we would cover Basket Case and Welcome to Paradise. So it was pretty important.

Listening to Dookie now is a fairly refreshing experience. It brings those 6th form days right back to me, but it doesn't leave me feeling like I can't enjoy it anymore. It's still a breathless, relentless and pulsating album. I don't think there's a real weak track on it. Sure, it's pretty much the same idea from start to finish, but that's what punk is like, by and large. And this album has lots of endearing subtle moments. Billie Joe makes tunes by slightly slurring his words so that you often don't know what he's singing, but do know that you like the sound of it. Mike's bass jumps and bounces all over the place, giving your brain a little bit of variation to focus on, and Tre's drumming is insistent and inventive. Then you've got some well considered backing vocals at critical times - see "She" for the best example - and some amusing stories.

Essentially you've got all the elements that make up a Green Day album, but here they are more honed than on earlier records, and less tainted by commerciality than later ones.

So where does it fit? For me, the best Green Day album is Nimrod. That one has more variety, and some awesome tunes. Dookie is probably second best, Insomniac third (that one is pretty much identical to Dookie, but without the hits), after that I can't really choose between the 1039 and Kerplunk... I just know that Warning is the worst.

So, Dookie: it's good.