Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 11 March 2011
I originally had this album on cassette when it was first released and have played it to breaking point ever since. Only recently have I purchased it on CD and I still have the greatest respect for Fleetwood Mac, one of my favourite groups. This album saw a change in personnel since 'Tango In The Night'. Out went Lindsey Buckingham and in came Billy Burnette and Rick Vito. Lindsey Buckingham has a guest appearance on the title track 'Behind The Mask' playing acoustic guitar. This album brings a different sound to the usual Fleetwood Mac style we're used to. And on this album it works really well I think.

There's a country, blues fusion added to the usual mix and although there are some negative reviews on here, I find that the style used on this album in particular, works a treat. I think the strangest track on this album is 'In The Back Of My Mind' where the keyboards are used to good effect and followed up by the rest of the band. My favourite tracks on here are probably 'Skies The Limit', 'Save Me', 'Hard Feelings' and 'When It Comes To Love'.

A different style to this album then, and obviously not to everyone's tastes but I have grown used to it and find the quirky side of this album is a nice addition to the Fleetwood Mac collection. Original, quirky and intriguing.
on 21 June 2012
Re-listening again now I think, as I thought then when I had it on cassette, that this is an album full of great songs that just don't sound anything like as good as they could or should. Consequently it failed commercially when it should have soared. I had low expectations of the new line-up, but bought the album compulsively as a fan and was surprised and disappointed in equal measure because of the poor production, which fails to do the songs justice. What a pity it can't be re-mixed. Nevertheless, the new guitarists, Burnette and Vito, infused new creative energy and sounds resulting in a fine album that is still hugely enjoyable.
on 17 June 2005
This is a return to rock for mac. This 1990 lineup followed onto the Rumours style. The previous album "Tango in the Night" was more poppy and commercial than any other and this follow up returns to the rock! The absence of certain band members doesn't matter as Stevie Nicks and Christie McVie together take the album to Classic status with their fantaatic voices and amazing writing tallents. Nicks and McVie have 2 very different styles of writing and both styles are demonstrated here on "Behind The Mask". A must forany Mac fan.
I have owned this album for years but rarely play it. I revisited it recently and tried to work out why that is. After all, 'Rumours' is an all-time classic and the very good 'Tango in the Night' is still well worth a listen. Is it just that Lindsey Buckingham had left?

No, it's more than that. I get the impression that, despite the injection of two new members, the band had either run out of inspiration with regard to the material it was writing or was yet to find its feet in its new form. A lot of the tracks are collaborations between the band members, and some of them seem to fall between two stools: neither truly personal to the writer nor stronger for two heads being better than one. In fact, my favourite tracks are the ones where a band member has worked alone: the Stevie Nicks ones especially.

And then, to compound the problem, the production is messy. The band is now larger: the production should, perhaps, have been simpler and crisper to compensate. Instead it is heavy, with the drums very much to the fore, and some of the tracks seem over-produced. It all makes for an end product that doesn't live up to the legacy of Fleetwood Mac. I find there is no real stand-out track that brings a smile of recognition to my face.

Before I start to sound too negative, please don't get me wrong - it's not a bad album. It's just not a very good one by Fleetwood Mac standards. There are many groups who would give anything to produce an album like this. But this is Fleetwood Mac and every album will be judged against what has gone before.

'Behind the Mask' is definitely worth a listen, but I predict that many purchasers will end up like me: pleased to have this album in the collection but rarely if ever turning to it.

If 'Rumours' was five stars and 'Tango in the Night' four, I have to mark this lower than both. In the context of Fleetwood Mac's past triumphs, three stars is fair.
on 19 March 2005
this is a very good fleetwood mac album.although it is not as commercial as some of their other albums such as rumours and tango in the night.
it grows on you after a nimber of listens.
on 5 September 2000
This album sees the mac returning to ture rock form, after the somewhat poppy 1987 album 'Tango in the night', 'behind the mask' brings back a more serious and mature musical edge. Nearly as good as rumours, but not quite.
on 29 September 2013
again another good cd by Fleetwood mac a must for all there fans the quality was great and well worth the money
on 29 April 2013
I'm a diehard Fleetwood Mac fan - this album tells another part of their incredible story and I love it!
on 12 November 2014
an excellent addition to my record collection their music never ages.
on 10 November 2014
Quick delivery and good quality item.