on 5 April 2017
Ok my review is in two parts no 1 content,followed by no2 packaging and quality of the reissue.

No1 Content
The remaster is sublime,it's sound is sonically improved upon the original master.If you have the original then buying any of the reissues of tango in this collection is money well spent. With regards to the bonus disc of outakes,demos and b-sides this is the real jewel in this collection. It's great to hear how the original demo versions have come along into full fledged tracks on the finished album. This is the great thing about the FM reissue programme is the wealth of bonus material and we are not left disappointed here on this deluxe reissue. Finally the third disc could have quite easily been made into two and included a few other obscure edits but we have been left with a single disc of the most important ones. It's great to have these as it's been some time since most of us may have played the 12" singles in our collections (even if the remix is not something that really fits with FM style). Finally the DVD is a little sparse and yes could have easily been a blueray but equally could have included more than just the small amount of promo videos. It's a real shame that for such an important collection FM couldn't have conducted some new interviews on film for us. Also it's great we have the 5.1 mix but I would say more DVD film context would have easily been opted for by fans and maybe release a blueray audio separately instead. Finally the vinyl is nice black and heavy and is almost too good to play. So in a nutshell a few flaws on the content but only is your a real completist wanting everything and the tango in the night kitchen sink too.

Musical content 5
DVD content 3

On the packaging this is the downside,it's too slim. Upon first impressions it's very similar to the new Doors box set and it may save the trees but we should really be getting something more case bound. In theory we are getting a gatefold LP in a hard cover slipcase. Ideally this should be in a whole case bound book style package and instead of the somewhat thin booklet we should be getting a lot more value for money. There is no detail on the sessions and nothing at all on the run down of the bonus content. In fact for such beautiful artwork and also the finish of the LP I must say this amazing album deserves better and more expanded packaging. Also the cds are in poor card cd singles and then they fit into slits for each. This could have been easily put into packaging where each was placed into a different page. The booklet is my main bug bear tho and it's nice and big but flimsy and a real afterthought. Finally this could also have been improved with maybe a card print of the cover (say numbered) and maybe a poster of the cover too as it's such an iconic image. Finally I did look once the box was empty to see if some of my dissapintment would have been stopped by me finding a download code inside but yet again I was left wanting and expecting the simple things that most other bands include in deluxe reissues as standard. A real shame for a band that I have collected everything that they have released.

Last but no least I spent £49 on this release and given the above it's borderline value for money,had a couple of things been added that would have cost the record company pennies in the greater scheme of things it would have been worthy of 5 starts.

Overall packaging 3 stars

Final rating 4 stars
55 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 July 2016
Tango In The Night is a fairly strong album, with some very good singles and some weaker album tracks. During the time there was a lot of animosity in the band and it is easy to pick up on this dynamic in the conflicting styles in this album; the darker, more acoustic qualities of Lindsey Buckingham's songs; the bluesy qualities of Christine McVie's songs and the more ethereal tones of Stevie Nick's songs can all be heard in quick succession which can be quite confusing to the ear. An example of this is the last two tracks, a very sad song followed by a perky song. Despite this, however, there are some fairly strong songs on this album that are still incredibly popular today.

1. Big Love* – In my opinion this is a very sexy song, not because of the moans (both of which were made by Lindsey Buckingham!) but because of the acoustic guitar, a sound that I have always found very sensual. A great song to open the album with.
2. Seven Wonders* – A song that really drew me to Fleetwood Mac. I remember hearing this song in the back of my Dad's car and loving the husky tone of Stevie's voice and the echoing keyboards. It's a song that has been featured in American Horror Story: Coven, which is probably why it's one of Stevie's most famous songs, beside Rhiannon.
3. Everywhere* – Perhaps Fleetwood Mac's most popular song because it's always on the radio somewhere. A beautiful song about the early stages of love, I think; the feeling of always wanting to be with the person but not being able to muster up the courage to express your true feelings. A song that I've always loved (and the live version on The Dance is great!)
4. Caroline – A song consisting of twinkling guitars and a fantastic drum beat. The song itself is probably about chasing after a woman; obsessive love perhaps? It's not a song I've really paid much attention to as I personally feel it's quite weak.
5. Tango In The Night – The title track, and one that Buckingham was actually going to use for his solo album. Another fairly weak song by Buckingham, perhaps he was more invested in his solo career at this point?
6. Mystified – An improvement on the previous two tracks, though sadly for me this is a forgettable song from Christine McVie here.
7. Little Lies* – A vast improvement and a very strong single from this album and Christine McVie. A contrast to Everywhere, which is a very honest song, I think this song is about wanting to hear lies from your partner rather than how they truly feel, which towards the end doesn't go well “We're better off apart, let's give it a try”. I love the tone of Chris' voice in this.
8. Family Man* – A great Spanish-esque song from Buckingham with a great guitar solo (that I could listen to forever!) and castanets. I don't actually know what this song is about, but going purely on the lyrics I think it's about returning to your family, or what you know, when things get hard. Perhaps a reference to Buckingham returning to Fleetwood Mac during his solo career?
9. Welcome To The Room... Sara - A song about Stevie's visit to rehab following her drug addiction during the Tusk/Mirage era. One thing I really love about Stevie Nick's music is how she manages to capture a moment of her life in one song and it must have been hard to really explain what the experience of rehab was like.
10. Isn't It Midnight* – Another great song by Christine McVie, incredibly underrated. The dark guitar played by Lindsey Buckingham and the lyrics which seem to be very reminiscent of a lost love, perhaps in another time things could have been different. I can't help but think Chris is singing about herself when she says “Do you remember the face of a pretty girl?”
11. When I See You Again – One of Stevie's most heartbreaking songs. I feel like it is probably a metaphor for death, staring up the stairs and having many doors to choose from, the doors being life and the stairs being death. The stairs seem like the easy option, the most welcoming in the song.
12. You And I, Pt II* – A complete juxtapose to the previous track which was incredibly sad, this song is very upbeat and wishing that a night will never end. It reminds me of the first time I kissed my boyfriend and funnily enough I never wanted that night to end either. A brilliant track full of happy memories for me.

Overall there are some very strong songs on here. For me, however, the weakness of some of the other songs and the conflicts in style really let this album down. It does provide some fantastic singles and two of Fleetwood Mac's most famous songs in Little Lies and Everywhere.

So should you listen to this album? Definitely. Despite its shortcomings it is Fleetwood Mac's third strongest studio album and worth a bit of love.
22 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 April 2017
Well I have been waiting many years for this to happen, and now it is here. Its a nice package and the main album sounds fantastic a very good job with the re-mastering so glad the loudness war is a thing of the past as this could have been ruined. Obviously those who buy this already like the album so I will not go into to much about all the great tracks that are here. However the Title track really sounds amazing the drums and guitar just leap out of the stereo.
The second disc B sides and out-takes is very nice addition you finally get you and I part 1, which goes into part 2 not sure if this was ever how it was meant to appear on the album. Other B sides are here Ricky, Dead end street all sound very clear.
The third disc my least favorite is all the 12" mixes and I am afraid not really mu cup of tea nice to have but Fleetwood Mac were never a dance group and Arthur Baker remixing Big Love all sounds very dated now and none are as good as the original versions.
The DVD has the 4 videos from the time, Family Man is a mix of Seven Wonders and big Love and Everywhere I do remember does not include the band I remember being disappointed at the time. The album is then presented in Stereo a real lost opportunity here to do a 5.1 mix of the album like with Mirage (which is 5 years older).
The booklet is very nice and the Vinyl version of the album sounds great I have the original on LP and CD so comparing you can hear a remarkable improvement.
All in all this is a nice set, but the two disc version maybe is all you need as I think I could have lived without the 12" mixes.

One star knocked off for the lack of 5.1 mix.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 March 2018
In many ways, Tango in the Night typified the sound of the 80s and indicated (to me at least) that Fleetwood Mac had intentionally changed their sound to fit in with the synth-heavy trends of that era. For someone who grew up listening to and loving the 80s music, TITN was a sensational comeback album after a five year gap following their previous release Mirage (a great album in its own right even allowing that its impact was significantly less than its predecessors). As soon as the drum and guitar sequence comes in and then loops over and over in Big Love it's probably the closest that FM have come to a club/dance song since the tribal brilliance of Tusk. The first track on any album is key and Big Love was the perfect way to signal the start of a new 80's flavoured FM era. Family Man and You & I more or less follow the same template of a great dance groove coupled with a guitar-synth chord sequence that cries "80s" but in the hands of FM are quite brilliant and are worthy additions to their vast array of classic tunes. There isn't a weak track on the album (sure there are songs that I don't love as much as others but that's due to my own personal preferences) and for me TITN is up there with Fleetwood Mac's best long player.

This box set is a little different to the other albums in the series in that there is no 5.1 high res mix and with one of the CDs featuring remixes of the songs that were released at the time. This makes sense given that the 12 inch extended remix of popular music reached its peak during the 80s and the remix CD is certainly a welcome addition to this deluxe box set. The sound on the vinyl is what you'd expect from a FM remastered album - a real treat for the ears. I'm no audiophile but I know what sounds good and TITN was always a fantastic sounding album and even more so with this remastered version.

If you don't own this album and you love good music then Tango in the Night is a must-own. The deluxe version is highly recommended if you want the ultimate version of an absolute classic.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 June 2017
Was really looking forward to hearing this album, so I initially bought this at HMV. When i played it for the first time i decided to play seven wonders which was my favourite song only to hear multiple skips to the point where a whole phrase was missing?! So decided to buy it from amazon only to find that it had the exact same problem ! So after playing both copies on three different record players, it must come down to a bad pressing as it is the only thing that explains how different copies from different stores could have the exact same mistakes. Really dissapointing as they are such an amazing band.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 April 2007
Fleetwood Mac are a group frequently associated with great stylistic leaps, but a close analysis of their work does not strictly bear this theory out. Sure, the early blues material is a world away from Stevie Nicks, but there is a path that one can use to connect the dots. Moving from the blues influences, taking them into an American soft-rock style, they arguably never changed over the course of the 70s, just got better at what they did.

By the 80s, personnel problems had slowed the band's out-put significantly (and for a band with a history of personnel problems like Fleetwood Mac, that's really saying something!) and they only released two albums during the decade; 'Mirage' and 'Tango in the Night'. Strangely, both of these albums are compromised, but in very different ways. 'Mirage' can easily be viewed as an attempt by the band to claw back some of the ground they lost commercially after 'Tusk', smoothing out the edges to such a point where several tracks verge on sounding bland. 'Tango', however, is a compromise in that it was not even meant to be a Fleetwood Mac album...

Lindsey Buckingham revealed a strong appreciation for new wave music in some of 'Tusk's' more idiosynchratic moments, and those experiments come to fruition on 'Tango in the Night'. Even though the sound has dated considerably, it is still possible to appreciate that 'Tango' is a thouroughly "modern" album. There is a sheen to the sound that keeps it fresh and crisp, synthesisers are used through-out the album, but are never too prominent, and many of the melodies have a distinctly new wave feel to them, and are far removed from the 'Californian' tendencies of the earlier Bukingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac. This is a modern 80s album, and is everything that implies.

Songwise, Buckingham and Christine McVie emerge with the strongest contributions, both penning songs and arrangements that are ideally suited to this new, modern Fleetwood Mac. Buckingham's songs are by turns dark and whimsical, retaining a melodic playfulness, as well as a harder edged sense of melodrama, several songs building to quite a dramatic climax (the title track being a prime example of this). McVie occupies the role of the pop writer on the album, providing material like 'Everywhere' and the timeless 'Little Lies'. However, she also gives us 'Isn't it Midnight', which really is the closest Fleetwood Mac ever came to possessing a new wave sound, with some scorching guitar work at the end from Buckingham.

Stevie Nicks, being largely absent from the recording due to personal problems and solo commitments, contributes a mixed bag of songs. Whilst 'Seven Wonders' is one of the best singles she ever wrote for the band, 'Welcome to the Room, Sara' is a bit too whimsical to be entirely successful, and probably would have been more at home on a Stevie Nicks solo album. 'When I See You Again', a slow ballad, is one of the worst things the Nicks/Buckingham era Fleetwood Mac ever recorded. Stevie's voice struggles the whole way through it, attempting to convey emotional intesity, but sounding like a cheese-grater has been rubbed accross her vocal chords, whilst the song takes a long time to make it's point, leaving not much of an impression by either melody or lyrics.

Given the time of it's recording, and the production techniques used, this is probably one of the albums where Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are least prominent. McVie's bass in particular is pulled way back in the mix and possesses none of the 'fatness' on display in songs like 'Dreams' or 'The Chain'. However, his sense of melodic invention is still apparent, greatly enhancing tunes like 'Everywhere'. Fleetwood's drums are also a little less unbridled than the used to be, gaining a tight, metronomic power that is appropriate for the songs. Although he does still get the chance to go a bit mad on 'Caroline'.

This is an underatted album, primarily because it doesen't fit into any easily accepted notion of what Fleetwood Mac are about. It is not a rock album, and it is not a singer-songwriter album. It is a pop album, but - perhaps crucially - it is a Lindsey Buckingham album, played by Fleetwood Mac. Which probably explains why so few of his 'actual' solo albums have been as artistically satisfying.
22 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 March 2017
I haven't played any of the discs yet, so this is just a simple overview of the package that has just been delivered.

First, it's beautifully presented. Having onlly known the cover from CD caase size, seeing the LP cover with all its detail goes a long way to justifying the purchase price on its own. The booklet is slightly lighter printer, enabling even more detail to be seen. I never knew there was a spaceship!

The 12" booklet is good stuff, with a nice article (by David Wild) about the album and how the band members view it these days,full yrics and full credits.

The LP has a picture label on one side and track listings for both sides on the other. I do have a record deck (Sony HX500) but it's the CDs that I will be playing - mainly to avoid possible damage to a prestine LP from my general clumsiness; yes, in some ways this is a Coffee Table Book purchase! However, isn't that partly what the vinyl revival is about? Not the sound quality (think of this LP being played on one of those £80 record players from the high street - makes me shudder!), but the pleasure of owning a decent-sized reproduction of the cover and a nice box set I can pose with...(!)

OK then, what about the music? Well, I've known the album for many more years than I care to remember, and it's my favourite Fleetwood Mac album. Say no more.
on 15 March 2016
I must say that I for one love the music from Fleetwood Mac just fantastic music
Middle of the road music to please many at any time of day or evening
they have many albums to pick from witch I play one after the other
from my collection... Great to chill out to Brilliant music

Five Gold Stars for Fleetwood Mac and there music
from SATAN
review imagereview image
on 31 March 2017
Have to say after years of waiting for this, I got it today and am delighted.
Disc 1 - self explanatory. My favourite Mac album, despite Stevies poor efforts, Christine shone and Buckingham was on fire 10/10.
Disc 2 - Great selection of demos and B Sides etc. Only slight whinge from me is I would have liked more demos, especially as here are some great ones on YouTube. Overall tho can't moan 9/10.
Disc 3 - All the 12" remixes from back in the day. Not one to listen to from start to finish but invaluable and no complaints from me 10/10
DVD - All the promos so again very happy. Stereo mix so also very happy. Only slight whinge is I would have liked more visual content, maybe one of the documentaries that were on tv around the time of the original 87 release. 8/10
Vinyl - nothing to add.
Packaging - awesome. Maybe more interviews in a thicker book but again, can't complain because I'm as happy with this box as a pig in.....
Roll on the next box set. 75 album? Behind The mask? The Dance? Say You Will? Out Of The cradle ( I wish!!!!)
on 3 October 2000
A decade on from Rumours this is an album with a sound that firmly underlines its period of release. Without the gentle love songs of their previous albums this record heads solidly in the direction of big, catchy pop tunes that grab instantly, but dont wear rapidly like a lot of music from the period. As usuall the rythm section of Fleetwood and McVie power the majority of songs and are prevalent on the strongest tracks on this album; "Big Love" and the fantastic "Little Lies". The album is let down possibly by too many songs in this popy mould and the track "Family Man" is awfull. However I would still class this as a great album on the strengths of about six songs which are just exquisite and arguably Mac at their best, and I simply dont tire of hearing. A bizzare album of the brilliant and tacky sides of Fleetwood Mac that is always in my CD box, cheesy, sunny, powerfull and class.