Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 August 2000
Too often classified as Crosby, Stills and Nash wannabes, America had a lot to offer in their own right and this compilation of their work from 1972 to 1976 is an ideal starter for anyone who wants to get with their catchy, acoustic, harmonic style. The best known track, "Horse With No Name" was written several years before it hit and is an early ecology anthem. The band's only UK top 10 hit, it is still enduring and a staple for oldies playlists. "Ventura Highway" although not as big a hit is a song that lyrically works on many levels and has even been treatised on the Internet. A criticism of America is that their acoustic approach meant so many tracks sounded the same, but if you listen to the slow piano driven, "I Need You", the country influenced, "Don't Cross The River", the MOR treatment on "Muskrat Love" and the upbeat "Woman Tonight", then you will know that you are getting an album of variety and quality. A 5 star album all the way.
VINE VOICEon 4 November 2003
I am not sure of when America were around, but I have listened to them since i was very young. I have great memorys of listening to this album in the car and on holiday with my parents and i love the music on it so much it's unbelievable.
Each song on here is so individual and unique and really shows where todays music bussiness is going wrong.
The opening song, horse with no name, is my favorite song of all time, and this simple song of guitar and voice is really beautiful. In the summer it makes you feel lively and bouncy and in winter it brings a sense of warmth to the listener, and the other songs are just as beautiful and also have such a wonderful effect on listeners. All the songs on here are of a country style and the vocals are just magnificent. They are soft and soothing and lovely and relaxing to hear. The careful strumming of the guitar will send tingles up your spine and i think everyone can enjoy from this truly brillient collection of songs- which is fantastic to kick back and relax to, to cry to, to get warm to, to remember, tresure and love.
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2009
Clean cut American soft rock

It was some time in the early seventies it must have been somewhere between 1973- 1976 that I went on holiday to a Butlins with my family that is my parents even though I was in my twenties. The red coats did a performance of this great acoustic song that they did on stage and I remembered it when I got home. I discovered it was The Sandman. I was so impressed I looked out for it and followed the career of America.

They were a very tuneful group in the style of Crosby Stills Nash and Young. Every trivia fan knew that they were the sons of US servicemen in Britain and they had a pretty good career with great hits like Ventura Highway and A Horse with No Name.

Sister Golden Hair is a great song and you can't help but like it. Great strumming reminiscent of My Sweet Lord. To me this is American soft rock at its finest.

You can imagine clean cut American boys singing this stuff. Tunes like Ventura highway reeks of California and the sunshine and surfing and the good life. You can't imagine anyone writing a similar song about the M25 and having the same effect unless of course it is the Road to Hell.

It is all about tanned boys straight teeth and large cars in the sunshine down great wide roads.
If will lift your spirit even if you are driving to work down English country lanes in the winter.I treat myself every now and then and listen to it again and again.
on 9 October 2009
At the time in 1972/73 the Anglo-American trio America were really the flavour of the month & after the twilight hours of the 60s had faded were holding the flag of good sounds high. My brother was a big fan & he bought all their singles & LPs, and so had the chance to appreciate them in depth. Their music now (in 2009) may appear initially to not have aged so well, probably as some have observed, because of the simplistic backing of generally acoustic guitars - which by today's standards sounds fairly tinny & light weight. But it is this very purity & simplicity (almost folk rock) which is enduring and as you turn up the volume then it really is still stunning. Their lead vocals excel as Messrs Peek, Beckley & Bunnell each take turns - this adds interest. Harmonies sometimes appear a little bland & too sugary (lacking the energy of say DDDBM&T & Hollies) but they are pretty with flashes between Crosby, Stills & Nash, Simon & Garfunkel, Bee Gees, Lindisfarne, Doobie Brothers, and they really did carve out their own unique harmony style. Lyrically their songs are deeper than you may think subtly touching on ecology/environment, war, nostalgic places & lost loves. Highlights are 'Horse With No Name' (still a great track), 'Ventura Highway', 'Don't Cross The River', 'Tin Man' and 'Sister Golden Hair' which all have a positive vibrant swagger about them, plus the slower numbers 'I Need You' & 'Sandman' (virtually ballads) are also great. There is not a poor track here and those melodies just keep swirling around your head. Thankfully correct chronological order is maintained, allowing the tracks to flow & showing the development of the band. What is most unusual about this release is that it originally came out in October 1975 on LP (hence it's small running time of 38m22s by today's CD standards), becoming an instant million seller (platinum) then. It remained in print until coming out on CD in the late 80s and then has stayed that way ever since. Now 34 years later with the exact same track listing, with always enough sales to keep it going like that, and seemingly still the most popular release in the America catalogue today. Beautiful folk rock country harmony pop.
on 21 November 2014
Classic recording, should suit everyones' taste, i.e., those who enjoy harmony bands like "The Eagles", Beach Boys" etc.
A great one to add to your collection, I particularly enjoy "Tin Man".
on 31 December 2011
I was sat down with the wife, nice glass of wine in hand and decided to have a look through some of my old records and came across some old "America albums", surprisingly she said she had never heard of them so I thought let us listen to a couple of tracks, she loved it, hence we ordered the greatest hits album,I was a bit worried when I saw the words "remastered", I had nothing to worry about it sounded just how I remembered them,maybe because I have just celebrated the big "50"I can't even pick a favourite track as they are all brilliant! ,the price wow,don't know how Amazon do it, hence I have ordered quite a lot more,anyway guys this album is well worth a listen.
on 25 July 2015
I have loved America since their self titled debut album and A Horse With No Name.
The next album, Homecoming, included the great Ventura Highway.
I also have A Horse With No Name And Other Hits and from 1975, a fantastic rehearsal also called A Horse With No Name. This was recorded in Germany and can be found on a rare CD/Video CD and also DVD, but check if it plays in Europe.
Although History has some of their best songs, Don't Cross The River, Lonely People and more, it should not, in my opinion, have been remixed by George Martin and with the best will in the world I really don't like Muskrat Love.
So it's A Horse With No Name And Others Hits for me because I want to hear America at their very best.
on 24 July 2014
Bought this for 'Horse With No Name' track, many happy memories of this song. All the others are just as good. Didn't think I knew the other titles, but they soon come flooding back to me! Timeless. Well worth buying, excellent CD.
on 12 September 2011
If you really feel like chilling out and relaxing, this album will be perfect for you.
All the songs are simply written and all are very slow mellow tracks.
Most people will be familiar with "Horse With No Name" (I always think this was sung by Neil Young), but other stand out tracks are the beautiful "Ventura Highway", "Don't Cross The River" and "Sister Goilden Hair".
As you get nearer the end of the album, you are crying out for something a little more up beat, up tempo, anything slightly less sickly sweet.
All in all, it's a decent album, but I'm off now, to crank up some rock.
on 17 October 2015
One of my favourites, from a time when music was real music, with a melody, and great lyrics, talent, and yeah...what can i say? A super talented band, the music is just as alive and vital now as it was when it was recorded some 38 or so years ago...Great stuff 12/10.