Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 August 2009
There are so many things about this album that I remember, from the way I bought it to the effect it had on my father (to my delight) and to the pleasure of listening to it.

I was 13 years old and had saved up my pocket money, when I had enough I gave it to my mum who went to Woolworths and bought it for me. I was on pins waiting for her to come home.

On opening the LP I was sorely tempted to pull out all the pictures there and then - I never did and the billion dollar note is still a treasure as I have kept this album and still have it complete with all the pieces intact 36 years later.

This CD is a must for any fan of this album, Alice Cooper, or in fact anyone who, was a rebellious teenager in the seventies. And if anything was going to personify how different we were from our Elvis-loving parents it was Alice Cooper and his antics with baby dolls, snakes and chickens and fake blood - partly the reason why I initially saved for LP in the first place.

My father hated it, he hated him, hated the things he got up to and my mother was not too impressed either. My father hated me playing my records and this album in particular - I loved every moment of my youth and this music was a very big part of it.

It is one for the few albums of which I love every track and never reach for the remote to press the `skip' button.

From `Hello Hooray' right through to the last track called ` I love The dead' which I made my father listen to, this album is superb. The second CD is a fabulous addition, and I agree with others that it should have been released all those years ago on vinyl. Speaking personally, this album is worth having purely because I can remember playing it for the first time on my Thorn/EMI Stereo on that Saturday afternoon when I got it, and I can remember the pleasure it always gives me when I play it now, and the perverse pleasure it gave me when playing it to torture my parents - the creaking sounds and the plop when the gums, visible only in my vivid imagination, plopped into the water in `Unfinished Sweet' are still as vivid now as it was then, The lead up to, and the end of `I Love The Dead! in particular will stay with me till the day I die.....
on 7 March 2001
This is one of the greatest rock albums ever made and even after three decades is still a vital part of any collection. I now have four copies of it, two original lp's and a previous cd and now this. Let's face it, no self respecting Alice Cooper fan would be without this recording in some form or another and they certainly don't need me to tell them how good it is. So why should they buy this particular edition? Well firstly there is the excellant packaging with cut-out pictures of the band, just like the vinyl version but smaller, plus a small booklet about the album. More importantly it comes with a second disc containing most of the set from the Billion dollar babies tour(Schools out and under my wheels absent) that many of the older fans(myself included) have been waiting for for 27 years. Why wasn't this released in 1974? It would certainly have been a big seller back then. The quality of the live recording is excellant and the original band prove that they are the masters of their craft. This is Alice at their peak, when they were threatening, when the songs were dangerous and about the real horrors and corruption boiling under the surface of the 'civilised' world. Not the nice cosy 'welcome to my nightmare' of later years. The original band may not have played all the notes in the correct order and pristine condition but they were innovative, stylish and more importantly they were a rock group. This is the most important release that Alice has had since 'welcome to my nightmare' and in my opinion it is more so because it captures an original group pushing rock to the limits as never before.
on 12 February 2004
Billion Dollar Babies is less of a recording more of a monument to rock decadence. Scale, inception, packaging all unsurpassed, only secondarily is BDB one of the finest rock albums ever made.
Here in Britain the inner sleeve cornered every tabloid paper, Leo Abse MP, and Mary Whitehouse contrived to effectively stop the band from touring. Tour or no tour it went to number 1 and more worryingly for the rock mainstream dislodged Dark Side Of The Moon from the topping the charts.

So to the music. "Elected" with its megaphone vocal is the first to hook followed by the sparkling "Billion Dollar Babies", a rock'n'roll tango with our very own attic dancing transvestial villainesss exeling herself.
Spellbinding tracks set standards of their own. The magical" No More Mr Nice Guy", a debtor to the Who's "Substitute" told of the flak Alice's parents were receiving in America.
Donovan's acoustic contribution bolsters "Generation Landslide", and "Sick Things" is well________sick! Crying monstress laments loss of human toys. Feeling wronged she resigns herself to a fate of live concrete burial. Cheerful stuff lads.
"Mary Ann2 is a blissful throwback to days of greater innocence as well as a smart but silly piano ballad. "I Love The Dead" is a the corpedelicious farewell.
Where could they go from here? Nowhere they didn't want. There MUSIC WAS NOW OF LEGEND.
Actually they hit the road on the biggest tour in history for the time. The live disc is pure contraband. It manages to reflect the fact that in 1973 this was the one band everyone with any imagination or sense of daring wanted to see.
Live The Alice Cooper Band are much more r&b than on record they reworked their songs for their performances. "Sick Things"benefits most whilst "Dead Babies" loses out. The audience are almost religious in their manner, you can almost smell the inscence. Alice has a voice like hoarse thunder and his rapport with his crowd is masterly.

The show depends on its decapitational climax.
America! A country where even revolutionaries are conservative. Alice Cooper are the closest thing to revolutionaries she will ever see. Fear the blade? He's only worried about his manicured nails. The crowd rise as one man, then gasp as one man, the head is raised for inspection. The King Is Dead Long Live The Queen. Queen Alice! M A G N I F I C E N T
on 14 March 2001
This album still sounds good after all these years. I am 28 years of age so when it came out I was a bit young to here it but a freind of mine has the original on vinyl and I have listened to it many times. The cd takes nothing away from the vinyl and the live bonus cd is a great addition. I would recommend this album to anybody intrested in finding out about Alice Cooper as the music speaks for its self.
on 19 June 2012
At the pinnacle of their career, the A.C. group (plus Bob Ezrin) might have sprayed a mist of silvery, poppy sheen over this Number One effort, but underneath lay some very dark, tongue-in-cheek tales of terror. There's the powerhouse brass of 'Elected', the sinister dolls-in-the-attic Donovan duet of the title track, the pointed lyrics about anti-social brats in 'Generation Landslide' plus the infamous - so bonkers it can't be offensive - 'I Love The Dead'. (The most unsettling track is the very, VERY dubiously titled 'Raped And Freezin'; thankfully it's all about a stereotype turned on its head and the title is only sung once right at the end - nevertheless Alice was sailing close to the wind with this.)

There's a sickly sweet ode to Mary Whitehouse and a daft-as-a-brush tale of a demented dentist that incorporates a James Bond sound-a-like theme. Plus, 'No More Mr Nice Guy', one of their best ever singles, AND an ode to their fans in the guise of 'Sick Things'. (Unfortunately, by then, guitarist Glen Buxton's drug habit had overwhelmed him, and he was present in name only; Steve Hunter/Dick Wagner were the reliable 'fill-ins'.)

The deluxe version is obviously the best one to buy because:

a) it's re-mastered
b) it's got a second live disc

The live disc is from their BDB American concerts in 1973. There are a couple of surprising omissions - like the live 'School's Out' - but overall it's an excellent representation of the A.C. group (well, most of them!) at that time. Certainly it makes a nonsense of some of the then music critics' claims, who sneered that the Coopers were 'all show' and 'no music'. Alice is in fine voice and the band are really tight; Neal Smith's drums, on tracks like 'Billion Dollar Babies', are fantastic - they nearly jump out of the speakers.

There are also a few non-live bonus tracks, such as the rather intriguing outtake of 'Generation Landslide' and the rare 'Slick Black Limousine', which had previously been given away free with the N.M.E. (as a thank you flexi-disc) when A.C. had been voted band of the year. Considering properly mastered live concerts from the A.C. group years are as rare as hen's teeth then it makes double sense to get this deluxe version of the album!

Not one second of filler can be found here on either album, with the band (well, most of them!) playing like seasoned troopers, plus Alice giving it his sweetly, demented best. A true classic.
on 22 July 2004
Billion Dollar Babies (1973.) Alice Cooper's sixth album.
Alice Cooper had released five albums, up to the beginning of 1973, all of which were excellent. From the bizzare-but-still-excellent psychedelic rock of the classic band's debut Pretties For You to the hard and bluesy School's Out, Alice Cooper's band proved to be a damn fine rock and roll quintet that could cover a plethora of styles. Alice Cooper, Glen Buxton, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith, and Michael Bruce had proven their musical genius five times already, and in 1973, the band released Billion Dollar Babies, the album that would grant them their immortal status as rock and roll icons. Is the album overrated, or does it deserve its reputation? Read on for my review.
This album deserves every bit of praise it gets - period. Of the ten songs on the album, five of them went on to become fairly popular. Among the popular songs are the classic rock anthem No More Mr. Nice Guy, which is probably Alice Cooper's biggest hit ever released. And who could forget Elected, Alice classic "I want to be president" song? The song is actually a reworking of a much earlier tune the band released. In my opinion, the original version is better, but this version still rocks. The title track is the true highlight of the album; it's gloomy hard rock as only the Coop could do. And on this track, doing lead vocals with Alice, is none other than sixties pop star Donovan Leitch! Even though this song is basically as "anti-Donovan" sounding as you can get, he does a damn good job on it! The bluesy Generation Landslide is a sequel to the story told in the title track, and it too is excellent. Another fairly popular track is the mini-epic opener, Hello Hurray. It's too bad the band didn't release this song as a single, because I'm pretty sure it would have been a million plus seller. The other five tracks on the album are considerably less popular than these five, but they are no less excellent, for the most part. Raped And Freezin', Sick Things, and I Love The Dead are regular Alice Cooper masterpieces. Even the short little piano-heavy track, Mary Ann, is pretty good. In the end, this stands as one of Alice Cooper's strongest albums. It's no wonder so many fans call it his best and most popular.
In addition to the original CD issue of this album, there is a two-disc deluxe edition available. The deluxe version of the album has the complete original album on disc one, and a hell of a lot of bonus tracks on disc two. The bonus tracks are mostly live concert cuts, but there are a few demos and outtakes as well. The deluxe version costs more than the standard version, but not a whole lot more. Take my advice and shell out the extra cash for the deluxe edition.
Billion Dollar Babies is one of those rock and roll masterpieces that's just so good that it's hard to describe in words. Although not my personal favorite Alice Cooper album (that honor would have to go to 1971's Killer), many fans call it their favorite, and I really can't blame them for doing such. If you're new to Alice Cooper, this should be the first one of his albums that you buy. No classic rock collection is complete without this album - no questions asked.
on 23 September 2007
A must-have for all true Alice Cooper fans. When I first saw this available, I thought to myself, disc two will put all those bootleg recordings of this notorious 1973 tour to pure shame. First you get the 'original' shock rock ground-breaking album with the original artwork. Then, on disc two, you get a nearly complete live recording of an actual 'Billion Dollar Babies' concert. Obviously, a soundboard source. Loved hearing the glam rock opener "Hello Hooray", "Elected", "Raped & Freezin' ", "My Stars", "Sick Things" and the guillotine song {tee-hee} "I Love The Dead". Then there are a couple of tough-to-find songs such as Alice's flexi-disc available-only rarity "Slick Black Limousine" {wish he'd play this song on tour sometime}. Put this on the top of your 'want list' if you don't already have it.
on 22 April 2012
Certainly the darkest of his best rock period and perhaps the best mix of good old rock and roll with the moretwisty stuff. I love the dead still creeps me out and I have been listening to it for more years than I care to remember. Mary Ann makes me laugh still and the dandruff hits the deck for Billion Dollar Baabiies. All in all love this (but not to death)
on 26 February 2001
I first listened to this album on vinyl on its release in 1973 when I was an angry thirteen year old adolescent. The thought of a pop star wielding a boaconstricta on stage and wearing black eye make up seemed peversely interesting at the time. When I discovered his stage show incuded executing dolls and collecting their heads in a basket my liking for Alice Cooper grew to fanatical extremes. The re-release of this remastered CD comes accompanied with a bonus second disc recorded during last years "Brutally Live 2000 Tour" and with the exception of a very subdued audience confirms what an excellent and exciting performer Alice Cooper is. Billion Dollar Babies kicks off with "Hello Hurray" and to quote the line "Let the Show begin Iv'e been ready" he launches into a bitter sweet attack of American society and it's prima donna inhabitants. "Raped and freezing" is a chilling track that along with "I love the Dead"could have quite easily graced the new "Hanibal" film with its shloch horror lyrics. "Elected"oozes satirical criticism of the American Preidential voting system and an almost anti-American Dream viewpoint as does the title track "Billion Dollar Babies" that portrays a whole different meaning to the expression "born with a silver spoon in your mouth". I would defy anyone to listen to "Unfinished Sweet" and still return to the dentists chair. The tooth pulling finale is enough to set anyones teeth on edge."Mary Anne" is the oddity on the album with it almost qualifying to be a ballad but we know Alice is only joking when he reaches the end of the album with "Sick things",a grotesque anthem of horrolific proportion. So there we have it, twenty seven years on from its original release and sounding as fresh and vibrant as in 1973. He may be getting on a bit but Alice Cooper still knows how to shock. Long may he do so!
on 19 February 2013
I had an EP on vinyl when i was young .......... but never really got into Alice ..but theres alot of good clever well played music on here .........will have to get the remastered version (as i did with Nijghtmare)