Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 20 March 2012
And another album that I'd had from release date on vinyl and thoroughly worn out....that I'd finally got to the point where a CD replacement was essential.
Falling onto the front door mat early one saturday morning I put the CD into the player, donned a set of cans and transported myself back in time because this invoked all the sentiments of the period including America coming to grips with racism, the end of the hippie dream et al. Yes, indeed, this album is certainly synonymous with the times but notwithstanding, it has also stood the test of time in that this batch of songs is as fresh today as the first time I heard them and I am not really a Neil Young fan! Not a great lover of his whiny thin vocal or his stuttering guitar solos - BUT, taken as a whole this is one very powerful and emotive album that deserves repeated listenings even some 40 years on be it the pinnacle of Southern Man or the evocative Only Love Can Break Your Heart, this album gets under your skin and embeds it's tunes and lyrics into your cortex so that whenever you hear the opening lines of Cripple Creek Ferry, After The Goldrush and 'Til The Morning Comes, you can't but help joining in with the singing....certainly whiles away many a boring car journey.
Iconic and class - and if it's not in your collection along with the contemporary Deja Vu from Crosby Stills Nash & Young - shame on you!
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2004
Thoroughly outstanding from start to finish, this is vintage Neil Young. Harder-edged than the follow-up (and more famous) "Harvest", "After The Gold Rush" contains some classic tracks, including the bitter 'Southern Man', Young's vicious swipe at racist attitudes in America's Deep South, which spawned an equally famous retort by Southern rock legends Lynyrd Skynyrd ('Sweet Home Alabama'). Obviously Neil Young didn't get the hint, since 'Alabama' (on Harvest) was equally scathing, albeit not as powerful as the brilliant 'Souhtern Man'. Young's legendarily off-beat, jagged solo guitar style was pretty much born on this track, and ensures that it will hold a special place in any Neil Young collection.
"Only Love Can Break Your Heart" is a Young country standard, practically unparalleled in the rest of his career. With a real country 3/4 beat, and beautiful harmony vocals (presumably by, amongst others, Danny Whitten), it's almost a mournful lament of a song. (Later covered by St. Etienne to great effect on 'Fox Base Alpha')
Other highlights include the brilliant opener, "Tell Me Why", which really sets the scene for what you can expect from the rest of the album. "Don't Let It Bring You Down" is another top track, although lyrically a bit confused. Also, "When You Dance You Can Really Love" is musically a great song, but what the hell he's on about is a matter of debate! But it only goes to show that even if one part of a song is lacking, it is compensated by the sheer quality of another part. The result is that there isn't a weak song on the album. Even Young's cover version of country standard "Oh Lonesome Me" is thoroughly appropriate and fits right in with the rest of the album. Like the title track on the follow-up "Harvest", "After The Gold Rush" is a simple piano ballad showcasing Young at his most reflective and laid-back, and contains a great lyric which includes "Look at Mother Nature on the run, in the 1970's"
This was my first Neil Young album (I bought it because I had 'Fox Base Alpha' by St. Etienne!), and what a place to start. I loved it then and more than a decade later, it remains one of my top ten favourite albums of all-time. More so than "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" or prior albums, "After The Gold Rush" marks the true beginning of Neil Young the "legend", and no CD collection can be complete without it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 March 2014
We all know the classic tracks and the fact that some 45 years on, the tune and lyrics remain familiar is testament to an outstanding musician and lyricist. In these anodyne times where social comment is less welcome than commercial success, it's refreshing to hear incisive comments about racism. Even the cover tracks have an original edge and I prefer this album to the more successful follow up, Harvest. At less than the price of a Sunday paper, this album is an mp3 must. I've played it over and over since downloading.
on 29 April 2017
Bought for my partner who had the LP version for years. Still sounds fresh and more guitar centric than most would imagine. A great blend of folk and rock that's hard to emulate.
on 14 March 2017
Deserves all the praise it gets.
on 18 May 2017
Great blast from the past. Good price and fast delivery.
on 21 May 2011
Having heard Harvest prior to After the Gold Rush, I thought I'd heard what Neil Young had to offer. Boy was I wrong.
After the Gold Rush features some of Young's greatest folk music, as well as some really great rockers that are far superior to the rock songs on Harvest. There, already I've stated what is the real purpose of this review: After the Gold Rush is better than Harvest, by a mile... or two.
"Tell Me Why" opens up the album nicely. It's catchy, but absolutely not one of the best on the album. This immediately changes on the following song, also the title song, which is an extremely beautiful acoustic folk song. And this is where Neil Young really shines. The title song is not the only acoustic deserve-to-be-classic song on the album. "Don't let it bring you Down" and "Birds" are some of the asolute best songs, I've heard from Neil Young, and it is not difficult to see why the singer/songwriter-genre has turned out to be so popular since.
Neil Young seems to be the first singer/songwriter to really give this much of himself. It's deeply personal and the lyrics are simply masterpieces.
But Young doesn't stop here. Whereas most musicians and bands have trouble mastering only one genre, Neil Young shows that he is also a master of country-rock. "Southern Man" manages to keep the personality of his folk songs, but in a rock package with awesome country/blues-solos.

On the last notes, I'll encourage you all to start out by listening to Harvest (if you're new to Young), as that is Young at his most catchy and straightforward. But it's with Harvest's predecessor, After the Gold Rush, that Neil Young's talent and potential truly shines. A masterpiece, and after only a few listens, one of my all-time favourite albums.
“After the Goldrush” – Re-Mastered - Neil Young

I can’t believe this album is nearly 50 years old – having been originally released in 1970 (and re-released in 1977). Although it’s perhaps not quite so well known as ‘Harvest’ this is my favourite Neil Young album which I listen to again and again. I still have the original vinyl record which I treasure.

Stephen Stills (vocals) and Nils Lofgren (guitar and vocals) feature on the album which in 1997 was given the accolade of bring in the top 100 albums of all time. I particularly like the poignant “Only Love Can Break Your Heart”. “Southern Man” provoked comments at the time for its implied criticism of racist attitudes in the south of the US.

If you want an excellent collection of Neil Young songs, then this album and ‘Harvest’ contain the best there is! It has a deserved place in my music library.

If you have Amazon Prime, then you can stream the entire album and listen for free – check the listings!

• "Tell Me Why"
• "After the Gold Rush"
• "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"
• "Southern Man"
• "Till the Morning Comes"
• "Oh, Lonesome Me" (Don Gibson)
• "Don't Let It Bring You Down"
• "Birds"
• "When You Dance I Can Really Love"
• "I Believe in You"
• "Cripple Creek Ferry"
on 12 April 2017
My first album given to me by my first boyfriend. I still love it. It is classic Neil Young and, in my biased opinion, still the best of Neil Young.
on 10 February 2011
There probably aren't too many casual looks at this treasure unfortunately. It's an album that many of the current crop of "singer/songwriters" could do with listening to. Well worth a punt for anybody.

To those who know the record, I bought this cd on its'first release. Personally, I have never heard it sound so good. I could wax on about all sorts, but the bottom line is if you like or love this collection of songs you have to buy this edition to hear them in a depth and swathe of detail I'm sure many of us won't have heard before, even on the vinyl which was good. I'm drawing a breath, but have come to the conclusion that this sounds better than my first (British) press original vinyl - not a memory, I continue to play and enjoy vinyl. I'm sure Neil Young was waiting for the digital technology to catch up and he has been proved right to wait. Superlative.

Lights out, volume up and you have Neil Young and band in your room. And you are in the room as they recorded the music; you can picture where each of them stood to do their parts. Top class.

The above comments also apply equally well to "Harvest".