Customer reviews

Into The Purple Valley
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 August 2017
Great CD, Ry Cooder at his best.
on 7 February 2008
I came back to this album recently, not having heard in more than 30 years and was so pleased. It doesn't age, it's superb with such effortless singing, playing and downright funkiness etched right in.

Do yourself a favour and add it to your collection.
on 8 October 2015
Classic Ry album. Very prompt delivery from seller.
on 5 June 2016
brilliant
on 22 December 2016
On recommendation from my dad for my girlfriend's dad, this is a fantastic album! A particular favourite is Hey Porter!
on 12 November 2016
Excellent,prompt service!
on 3 September 2016
who doesn't admire Ry Cooder
on 11 November 2016
as expected
on 26 April 2013
The playing as ever is consumate. His second album continues from "Dark Was The Night" to "Vigilante Man" - another essential Cooder staple.

My gripe with this album would be the choice of some of the other songs. "FDR in Trinidad" strikes me as a really odd choice to add to an album.I also think there are much better straight blues/gospel songs than "denomination".

This is purely a personal opinion, and you may notice I've still given the album 4 stars.

Similarly to my review on the first album, I would recommend some of his eighties and "noughties" albums first, as his ability to pick more coherent material to my ears improved.
on 10 December 2011
If you're curious about old Ry, I suggest you visit Youtube and check out RC and co. performing Maria Elena - 6min 26secs of one of the best collections of musicians I've ever seen (I saw this tour - not this gig)
Where do you start with such an enormous back catalogue of such diverse music? My own current favorites are 'Into the Purple Valley', 'Showtime' and 'Buena Vista Social Club', but I change my mind every so often!!
This album (plus 'Ry Cooder' and 'Boomer's Story') show why he declined offers to join the Rolling Stones etc etc. Despite all the recording sessions he did for other artists before concentrating on a solo career (Little Feat, Everly Bros, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, Captain Beefheart, Taj Mahal, Van Morrison.....the list goes on and on) Ry's best work has always been with him in charge.
I would place him alonside Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Louis Armstrong, Jimi Hendrix, The Beach Boys, Neil Young and Frank Sinatra as popular artists of genius (other artists may pop in and out of this list, but, for me, these are the best.)
I think of Ry Cooder as the musical equivalent of those magic eye pictures - once his music comes into focus, you'll wonder why Ry isn't mobbed wherever he goes (I remember hearing of Eric Clapton hooting and hollering and shouting out reqests at an Earl's Court gig of Ry's - we all do it, it's like one of your best friends his become famous!
Ry Cooder doesn't fall into any specific musical category, he searches the world for little-known talent and let's their ability do the talking.
If 'Into the Purple Valley' with its tales of an America's past doesn't hit home with you after 2 or 3 plays, I apologise. If it does hit home, I also apologise - his back catalogue will cost you a fortune!