Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 May 2017
What a group. Everyone should have one.
on 14 October 2015
Very easy listening. Delivered really quickly.
on 19 March 2004
A week after buying their latest album ( Welcome Interstate Managers ) I got this album. It's another great set of songs, just as good as WIM. The best tracks are Leave The Biker and Please Don't Rock Me Tonight, but there's not one poor track on the album. Fountains of Wayne seem to produce albums where every track is different and I feel that is a big plus for a group. All I can say is go and buy it, in todays world of manufactered music is great to find a band with talent.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 September 2013
Fountains of Wayne are another example of a great band who have released a good handful of albums and singles, and then they record a song that becomes so popular that it seems to overshadow the rest of their work.

'Stacy's Mom' was a big hit for them in 2003, the song had humorous lyrics and after everyone (particularly when I was at school) caught onto it, the song became something of a novelty record, and I fear so did the band to many people.

Almost ten years before that, this American power pop band released their self entitled debut, which contained the hits 'Radiation Vibe' (still quite remembered today, bouncy track with a good chorus) and 'Sink to the Bottom' (far superior to 'Stacy's Mom'). The whole album was great fun and decent catchy pop rock music.

It still sounds great today and more people should know that it's out there. It's alternative music that is fairly typical of the '90's and the quality is consistent. If you happen to have stumbled across the album and are reading this review, if you only like the one song - do not hesitate to buy this CD, because you'll find much more to love here.
on 9 November 2014
I was having a clear-out this weekend. I knocked over a teetering pile of ancient CDs & FoW's debut ended up on top of the heap (in more ways than one). I gave it a listen out of half-arsed nostalgia & was very surprised at how little it has dated. I'd forgotten how fine a record it was/is, not a bad song on it really, though some are obviously better than others. Definitely an album to hang onto, rather than pack off to the local car-boot sale.
on 16 October 2008
i have caught up with these after their heyday - but being a fan of alt rock and pop rock i thought I'd give them a go (especially the cd was only a quid!)

my first impressions are that i was a little dissapointed after all the 5* reviews on here - It annoys me how most people give every album they like 5* and just describe how much they love it rather thanthe music- how can you decide if its for you?

Anyhow - the album is full of breezy accessible pop rock songs in the world of the "I'm a loser - who cant get girls" slacker style.

Overall though there is no real suvstance or anything to merit closer investigation - the songs wear their hearts on their sleeves, the lyrics are fine but ultimately meaningless, the tunes are fine - but not particularly adventurous.

Obvious comparisons and Weezer and lyrically a touch of Westerbergs early Replacements Slacker lyrics. I think my review might not be as favourable as others as i have heard so much of this type of music it doesnt bring anything fresh to me - I certainly have no urge to check out any of their other stuff as the reviews state they are all pretty much the same throughout.

if you are only just venturing into Alt rock then this is a great album to get into - full of easy to listen to pop songs and i have enjoyed having this on inthe background whilst driving, but ultimately it is nothing more than some run of mill US teen movie Geek style songs and some pleasant tunes.

if that is your bag then go for it - if you have heard a lot of 90's rock than this may seem to a bit tired.

overall - not bad album but by no means groundbreaking or mind strethcing.it does what it says on the tin - nothing more. worth picking up coz its so cheap now!
VINE VOICEon 14 November 2007
The lady in the music shop was most displeased when I deprived them of their only copy of this album back 10 years ago. I don't even remember where I heard "Radiation Vibe" for the first time, but it's been th only time I've felt compelled to to go a gig based on one song.

Imagine my joy then when the Varsity in Wolverhampton was filled with guitar pop, and tune after tune left me compelled again to go to my local record store in Selly Oak and get the CD.

(there's not many chances to say I was there at the beginning)

The songs on this album are perfect in form, proper 3 minute songs that don't leave any space to waste. "Leave The Biker" always makes me laugh, and this is an album full of wry observations of American life with a strangely British undertone.
Fountains Of Wayne are somewhat of an overlooked band. Recently they gained a bit of success due to Stacy's Mom and pretty much got lumped in as a novelty act due to nature of the lyrics in the song. While a catchy song, it is by no means the best Fountains Of Wayne have achieved. This album was released in '97 and it's probably one of the best pop-rock albums of the last decade.
Most of the songs are around 3 minutes in length and are bouncy cheery pop songs. Some are fairly reminiscent of Stacy's Mom, most notably Radiation Vibe and Survival Car whereas others are more mellow but still catchy and after a few listens you'll find yourself singing along.
This is how pop music should sound and it's unfortunate that they are not more popular but everyone who discovers this album will know it's true quality.
on 10 December 2003
This album to me is perhaps one of the greatest albums of the last few years. There is a depth to these songs that will slowly reveal themselves long after the initial melodic rush has left you reeling. I disagree entirely with the view that FoW are too ironic/clever or insincere to write moving and profound songs ('Sick Day' and 'You Curse at Girls' I would argue can stand up alongside the finest Simon and Garfunkel compositions - no joke). Even an arguably 'slighter' effort such as 'Drop the Biker' possesses a cruel truth that, I would guess, most blokes can identify with (i.e. why do the most undeserving men always seem to get the most desirable women?) - yet wrapped up in some rather fine riffage.
I won't bore you by describing all the individual songs suffice it to say that there is not one single filler on here - really, this album is that consistent. Additionally there appears to me a palpable sense of purpose in the running order and mood of these tracks that often leaves me with the sense that I've listened to a complete and coherent musical statement (you know, rather like the way Sgt Pepper's makes you feel after you've listened to it from start to finish).
Since this album they were to never scale these heights again. But I suppose that's the price of producing perfection with the first effort.
on 17 December 2004
Fountains of Wayne must be one of the most under-rated bands of today.The only reason i got to hear of them was by hearing Stacy's Mom on radio 2 one day.After getting hooked on that track i quicky looked for the other albums.I have to agree with the other writers when they say there isnt a bad track on this album and the variation in each song makes sure you never get bored.If you havent already got this album then i advise you to buy it.....along with the other two!