Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 July 2017
Amazing
on 26 December 2009
Great album and the lyrics are VERY powerful. As person below me said, you will find meaning in each song.
And if this tips the scale, you owe me one!
on 30 September 2001
With the exception of Rob Thomas' superb voice Matchbox 20 are'nt here to offer us anything new, their brand of catchy jangling radio friendly American Pop rock is hardly a pioneering concept in modern music but it's undeniably good and lets be honest EVERYBODY loves it. "Real World" is an outstanding opener for the album and with gems like the fantastic "3am" waiting in the wings you know your in for a smooth, ear pleasing ride and just when you think the acoustic ear candy was over the album closes with the beautiful "Hang". The slick production of Matt Serletic combined with Thomas' striking vocals makes for a strong debut from a band with a bright multi-platinum future ahead of them.
on 12 July 2014
I'm a huge Matchbox 20 fan and can honestly say that they've never made an album that even comes close to the brilliance of this one. I've owned this album since its release date and I still listen to it today, as much as possible. I find that I get bored with music fairly quickly so for me personally it's a sign of a great album when I keep listening.

Matchbox 20 have never been a consistent band - for instance, this particular album is full of soft-rock alternative ballads and some are incredibly moving and thought-provoking - they certainly know how to tell a story. However, their second album, Mad Season, is much heavier with fewer ballads - when it came out my first thought was "someone's really p*ssed these guys off."

To me it makes no difference what they release and in what mood they were in at the time, it's all brilliant, and I kind of like that you never know what to expect from them. But there's something about the songs on this album - like they had an initial stroke of genius. Anyone I've played it for has ended up purchasing the album themselves.

It doesn't matter what kind of music you're in to - you will find something you love on this album. Forget the genre 'rock' - I'm a rock nut and I wouldn't necessarily stick this album in one category. There's a bit of everything one here - but you can't beat Rob Thomas' voice; it's so distinctive.

Buy this album - you won't be disappointed - and you'll end up buying everything else they've ever done.
on 10 April 2001
i've been following this band for 3 years now. To be honest this Album is Great, Rob thomas voice is filled with emotion, the lyrics are like a story in every song. my favorites are push, kody, hang and real world The New album is different from everything else previous. Still good but different. Check out their old Band Tabithas Secret, they have 2 previous albums containing early samples of 3am and also classics like love, strain and butterflies, dear joan and forever december. i'm glad to announce that tabithas secret are still going strong wiv 2 original members and have a new album yet to be released called Act 3. Also if you like MB20 then try out these bands - Counting crows, Third eye blind (self titled), stroke 9, Lifehouse and Dexter Freebish. Hope you found this information usefull.
on 23 August 2006
I was first introduced to this album when I was going through a lot of changes in my music taste and I had never heard of them before-that'll teach me for liking boybands for so long!! I didn't know what to expect when I heard it because I was just getting in to Counting Crows at that time and I did'nt think anything else could come close to them!! But I have to say- apart from any Counting Crows albums and the Lifehouse album- it was one of the first albums that I listened to from beginning to end!! I was so impressed!!!

"Real World"- this song made me laugh when I heard it because it was exactly how I felt at that time; the music is wicked and the lyrics are great- "I wish the real world, would just stop hassling me".

"Long Day"- I was so happy when this song came on next because it was just as good as the first song!! Its not quite as heavy as "Real World". Its about being just totally freaked out by nobody but yourself "Its me, and I can't get myself to go away".

"3 a.m."- This is even lighter still, its more acoustic than the first two, and the lyrics are really good.

"Push"- This is my fav track on the album and I recommend getting the album for this track alone!! Everything about this song is just so cool-and you just have to hear Rob Thomas' voice; he sounds amazing.

"Girl Like That"- This one is a bit of a push up in tempo after things being slowed down a little in "Push"; another fantastic song.

"Back 2 Good"- This is my second fav track on the album; I think its about how nobody really talks about things and keeps things to themselves even when they've got a problem. The lyrics are wicked, again.

"Damn"- Another really clever song and its really basic compared to the others in that it really only features the guitar and a light drum for the most part.

"Argue"- Another funny song!! The lyrics made me laugh-very clever.

"Kody"- Another fav of mine and its another more acoustic number-about a young boy named Kody.

"Busted"- I love this song and its really good in its acoustic version aswell. Its about being too blind to see that one or both of you might get hurt in a relationship and denying that you are in love-"We're too cold to be in love, we're too crazy to get busted."

"Shame"- Another more uptempo song after having been slowed down a bit for "Busted".

"Hang"- A great song to finish the album on.

This album is just a fantastic debut for the guys and it will always be one of my favourites because its got everything-a good chane of alternating tempos, some greta music and some great lyrics. The album is brilliantly produced and their frontman Rob Thomas is sounding amazing and is being even more clever than ever!! If you are thinking of getting "Mad Season" and haven't got this album yet, I would suggest getting this album first, because it is their best and it will get you ready for a more mature sound on "Mad Season".

This album is definitely worth a listen and I guarantee that it won't come out of your CD player for a very long time!!
on 27 July 2010
What a great album! it contains some great songs and i never tire of listening to it! rob thomas enthrals you with his voice. you get involved with the emotive songs and feel the pain of the narrator, and somehow identify yourself with some of these stories. not a small feat to achieve, and also so effortessly. This needs to be part of anyone's cd collection!
on 28 August 2004
Every one in the known universe should own this album! There i've said it hold me to it. When "Push" was 1st released in the US I 1st found out about this band, watching late night american billboard charts. I bought the album on import straight after hearing just that 1 song, and i wasn't dissapointed, "real world" grabs you and the rest of the songs won't let you go. "3am" is my favourite song on the album, if not of all time. The song was written by the lead singer Rob Thomas about his mum battling cancer, but is played in such an upbeat way u don't realise the meaning of the lyrics(Fans that have Matchbox 20 VH1 storytellers will know what i mean). You need this Album!!!
on 10 January 2001
After hearing "Push" a few years back I was waiting for more MB20 to grace our music channals but people are uneducated to good music and continued playing crap by boybands (will they never learn?) After downloading a few songs I just had to have the album! With great songs such as "Real World", "Push" and "3am" this album deserves more credit than it has been given. Rob's got an amazing voice which fits the lyrics perfectly. If you like MB20 then you should get some stuff by Counting Crows or Goo Goo Dolls, there's a lot of similarity in their style. Anyway, this is a great album which has some amazing guitar work in the songs, so I suggest you have a listen!
on 8 September 2000
This is without doubt the best album I have or ever likely to have. Rob Thomas's excellent voice is just so powerful. All songs are done with equal intensity and brilliance. I find it hard to compare them to another band in there genre, they just have their own edge of greatness. I have the album Mad Season by Matchbox Twenty, while its a good album it's not merely as good as Yourself or Someone like you. With superb tracks like Real World, Push, 3am, and basically the rest of the songs on the album, I am surprised they havent made an impact on the UK yet. Buy now, you wont regret it, one bit!