Customer reviews

The Very Best and Beyond
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 August 2016
Of the many rock bands that ruled the airwaves in the 1970's and 80's, one that is often forgotten about is the English/American Melodic Rock band Foreigner. Fronted by powerhouse singer Lou Gramm and underrated songwriter/guitarist Mick Jones and featuring a revolving line-up around those two members (with Gramm ultimately leaving the band in 2003), Foreigner were a commercially and sometimes critically successful band that scored countless rock and pop hits, all compiled into the CD "The Very Best... and Beyond", a fine introduction to those unfamiliar with Foreigner's music.

Just about all of the band's greatest hits that are represented on this disc. Selections from their 1977 debut LP (the anthemic "Feels Like The First Time" and "Cold As Ice"), 1978's hard rocking "Double Vision" album (the driving favourite title track and the high-energy "Hot Blooded"), 1979's Roy Thomas Baker-produced "Head Games" (the title song, "Rev on the Red Line" and the underrated hard rocker "Dirty White Boy"), 1981's mega-hit "4" (the smash hit soft-rock ballad "Waiting For A Girl Like You", the R&B-inspired and Junior Walker-featuring "Urgent" and the truly astonishing rags-to-riches story "Juke Box Hero"), 1984's "Agent Provocateur" (the gospel-inspired classic "I Want To Know What Love Is" and the worthy follow-up "That Was Yesterday") and 1987's "Inside Information" (the band's last great anthem "Say You Will" and the easy-listening ballad "I Don't Want To Live Without You") all make this album and all stand the test of time as being great songs of not just the era but of the rock and pop genres.

In addition to many of Foreigner's greatest hits, "The Very Best... and Beyond" also has three songs made especially for this compilation that are fine additions to the band's catalogue. The first is "Soul Doctor", a high-energy rock song similar to "Double Vision" and "Hot Blooded" that is exuberant and loose. Following this is "Prisoner of Love", a mix of the energy of "Cold As Ice" and the pristine of "Say You Will" and a song that it been released at an earlier point in the band's career would have been a big a hit as some of more recognisable songs on this disc. And last but not least is "With Heaven on Our Side", a power ballad and great sing-a-long number in the tradition of "I Want To Know What Love Is", rounding off three very fine additions to the disc.

The only minor nitpick I have is a personal one. Like any fan of any band, when a compilation comes out it means that several songs that are personal favourites of yours are not present. And for me, while there is no song that I would not have put on this compilation, there are several songs that would have fit well on this disc. Whether it would be "Starrider", "Long, Long Way From Home", "Fool for You Anyway", "Blue Morning, Blue Day", "Night Life", "Break It Up", "Luanne" and "Tooth and Nail", I feel these songs would have made fine additions to the track list, but again this is just a personal gripe.

Otherwise, I would highly recommend this compilation to both Foreigner fans and to newcomers to their music. You will get a taste of the band's many different experiments in the rock and pop genres and the new songs situated at the beginning of the CD fit in alongside the greatest hits. A great overview and compilation from a forgotten band that produced some great songs in their day. Highly recommended.
on 31 July 2017
Great CD, good quality music just a shame about the crack down the case!
review image
on 17 June 2009
I first came across "Foreigner" after hearing their haunting ballad "Waiting for a girl like you" which apparently climbed to within the top ten in the British singles charts around 1981, and I thought was less popular and I now know that this track was in fact a top global power-ballad hit and slightly less popular in the UK, at the time!

Only this week, I bought this compilation by Foreigner and on listening to the first three tracks, I was not entirely inspired until the fourth track after which there was around ten good tracks with my top five being: "I want to know what love is"; "Waiting for a girl like you"; "Feels like the first time"; "Cold As Ice" & "Urgent" in this Album excluding my less outstanding earlier tracks: "Soul Doctor"; "Prisoner of love" & "Heaven on our side" later ones with "Head games"; "Double vision"; & "That was Yesterday".

In a another review, I reminisced about Foreigner's global hit: "Waiting for a girl like you" in the context of Qawwali music within and Pakistan's classical singer Sajjad Ali turned his songs into Pop/dance numbers which set new trends in Pakistani pop music in terms of softer, slower, ballad style songs!

Overall, a good compilation and I recommend the more discerning fan/customer to definitely buy Foreigner's Definitive Album on the Rhino Label as a better & more comprehensive collection of their best hits.
on 18 May 2012
It took me a while to catch up on my Foreigner, but when I did it was this excellent single disc CD. It had all the ones I knew and wanted plus some I didn't but was glad to have.

A huge band in their native U.S. (37.5million albums), much less so over here, but helped enormously by the classic 'Waiting for a Girl Like You', which I bought as a 45 and just loved the shimmering keyboards (played by Thomas Dolby) and laid back but still powerful vocal style. It reached no. 8 in the U.K. singles chart.

Rocky numbers with great hooks and tunes, always played superbly, such as Juke Box Hero, Urgent and Cold As Ice. I photograph bands and Soul Doctor is an often covered number in pubs that always gets 'em going - both the band and the audience! 'Urgent' features an earthy sax solo by Junior Walker.

'I Want to Know What Love is' must be one of the all-time great power ballads - mock them if you must but this is absolutely great, with excellent vocals from Mick Jones, (who also wrote the song) soaring to a climactic crescendo. This was a no.1 hit in the U.K. Whilst 'Feels Like the First Time' is a popular track, I'm not so keen on the wavering effect of the keyboards but it is a good song.

Some of the tracks toward the end aren't as strong but they're not bad either, though I'd leave them off my own Ipod selection. I don't know how this compilation compares with others, but as it was all I wanted, I haven't tried to compare.
on 5 February 2018
Came in a good state.
Music excellent.
on 16 February 2018
excellent product , excellent service
on 24 February 2018
Great album
on 25 November 2017
Just as described. Would highly recommend
on 25 February 2018
on 21 April 2017
great condition , just what we needed before we go see them .