Customer reviews

Under The Pink
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 February 2016
Tori's second superb album as a solo artist in her own right if you don't include the I Cant Tori Read band album from the 1980's.
Worth getting this re-mastered double CD version for the second disc of B Sides, demos and live rarities.
An unreserved, highly recommended masterpiece from a musical genius.
on 28 January 2016
on 17 November 2015
good album
on 18 January 2016
Was such a big fan when this came out. Wonderful to hear it again remastered. I hear sounds that I didn't hear so clearly before and the songs sound fuller somehow. All the bonus tracks are great too!
on 10 February 2015
As a Tori fan I knew Under the Pink from day one but not the leftover material from that album and Little Earthquakes. More Pink has the best of the rest and as such forms a collection of songs that easily would have made a top album of its own. Great !
on 5 December 2015
Didnt receive my copy, but its a brilliant album for anyone whos thinking of buying it.So 5 stars for the album and 3 for the service(i got a refund.)
on 20 May 2015
If you already have all the Singles or bought other special editions (eg The Australian 2 CD Under The Pink) you'll probably have all these tracks anyway but if not it is well worth a listen.
on 1 January 2016
Great album,a must have
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 July 2007
I admit, when Tori was around in the early 90s, I was amongst those who just saw her as an inaccessable, slightly strange American. I think part of that analysis was due to me not being mature enough to appreciate her music and her creativity (I was only appraoching my early teens, so I was more at home with boy band music). My attitude towards Tori and her music took a dramatic turn when I heard her album SCARLET'S WALK, when I was in my early twenties. Now I love her and her music, she has gone from being a kooky redhead to a goddess, in my opinion. In my world, she is easily the most talented artist that I can think of.

UNDER THE PINK was Tori's second release after LITTLE EARTHQUAKES. In many ways, you can easily find the similarities between the two. In songs such as "God", she once again brings aspects of religion into her music. Even though she challenges God - "God sometimes you just don't come through" - it is done in an intelligent way, a way in which I am sure many people can relate to, whether they have faith or not.
"Past the Mission" sees a guest appearance from Trent Reznor. As on LITTLE EARTHQUAKES which had some songs sampling a male voice aswell as Tori's, the addition of Trent's voice gives the track something more. A depth, perhaps, certainly another layer.
"Baker Baker" is my favourite song from the album. Tori's voice is amazing, as usual, but there is fragility here, almost so much so that ther song could be described as tragic. I read in Jay S. Jacob's biography, "Pretty Good Years", that this song was about the coming undone of her relationship with Eric Rosse. Looking at the lyrics to the song, it seems as though Tori shoulders a lot of the 'blame' herslef:-
"he says that behind my eyes I'm hiding and he tells me I pushed him away that my hearts been hard to find".
It is truly a beautiful song.
The album also examines how women betray other women. Three of the songs are specifically made up of this theme - "Cornflake Girl", "Bells for Her" and "The Waitress". The latter of these being a mix of subdued piano playing, which then builds into a crescendo, almost a mad frenzy, for the chorus.

Although UNDER THE PINK has echoes of LITTLE EARTHQUAKES, there is a definite change between the two. As always, Tori's piano playing is fantastic, absolutely top notch. Personally I think one difference is that UNDER THE PINK has songs which may not be as easily accessible as LITTLE EARTHQUAKES. You may have to listen a few times to some before you get the 'meaning' behind them. This aspect of her music is one I have come to appreciate and love above all else. I like having the pieces with me, taking time over them, getting to know them and seeing different things in them depending on how I feel when I listen to them.
While some people may still see Tori as a strange, kooky redhead, to me she is much more than this. Strangeness, in relation to Tori, translates as genius in my world.
on 14 October 2013
Tori Amos is an artist who cannot be fully experienced only by his A-side songs. She really has a back-catalogue of B-sides and unreleased stuff, which sometimes surpasses the value of the material from her different albuns. In the case of "More Pink", the second CD released only as an extra for "Under The Pink", during its tour on Australia, we have some gems from 'Little Earthquakes' Era put together with gems from the 94's record, giving the listener a chance to fall deeper in love with Amos' emotional art.

It begins with a gorgeous and heartfelt cover for Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You", one of the best renditions from Tori. Then it follows with fan-faves "Honey" and "Sister Janet", just to bring the intense "Take to The Sky" and the EPIC, for the lack of better word, "Flying Dutchman"! All of them are great tunes and if you're a beginner in Tori's craft, these are must-listen-to tracks.

"More Pink" complements "Under The Pink" in a pretty good way, giving the listener a more beautiful and more thoughtful journey. Take it, it's worth the ride.