Customer reviews

King & Queen
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 February 2010
Memphis has produced many great musicians. Sam Phillips' Sun Studio, launched in February 1952, boasted Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Roy Orbison. Beale Street started BB King's career. And then there was Stax/Volt, home to Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Johnnie Taylor and Rufus Thomas. These Stax acts, ably backed by one of the greatest studio bands of all time, otherwise known as Booker T. and the MGs, have left us unmatched rhythm and blues. (Now, I'm not going to get into the argument of which had the greatest studio band, Detroit's Motown, Atlantic's Muscle Shoals, or Stax: I'm just not competent to do so, unfortunately. I'm just going to say that with Booker T and the MGs behind him, Otis Redding has to be on the short list for greatest rhythm and blues singer, greatest Southern soul singer, however you prefer to characterize his music.) "Sitting on The Dock of the Bay," "Knock on Wood," "Try a Little Tenderness," "I'm Coming Home:" the man had range. What he didn't have, on his own, was humor: that's where Carla Thomas, daughter of Rufus, came in. "Tramp" is an exuberant corn-pone-flavored duet: once heard, it lingers in the mind, or at least in mine. It's funny. The rest of this record, first released in 1967, lingers well, too: the covers of several rock and roll masterpieces like "Tell It Like It Is," "It Takes Two,"and "Bring It On Home to Me," are crisp, light-handed, and sure-footed.

People say that the late, great Marvin Gaye never sang better than when he was paired with Tammi Terrell; that's a matter of personal taste, and I wouldn't say the same about Otis Redding and Carla Tucker. I would say they sang superbly together: if you love 1960's Southern soul, you want to get this rare record before it goes out of print.
on 12 February 2015
This is a fun album- it might not be one of Otis' best (I can only speak for/about him as I am a fan and know little of Carla Thomas) and it is a must have, for definite,as all and anything OR is. This came to be the last album that was released in his tragically short lifetime.

Tramp is the real highlight here and makes me smile no matter how many times I hear it, but there are (in my opinion) lesser tracks, like the cover version of It Takes Two... nice as this it would be impossible to try to top the 'original' we know so well. But then, some of the original 60s Motown albums were pretty much mostly one hit and the rest filler (sorry to any big Motown fans there - but you know what I'm saying.) So I say this is certainly superior to them... and if it were Otis Blue and 2 or 3 others it would have been 5/5.

There are a couple of mono tracks among the rest in stereo which is a tiny bit of a shame as I'd have preferred it all mono (or all stereo, except that I think the former is punchier when it comes to Otis albums though) however, that hasn't influenced my rating. If you're a fan - as I am - this is one you can't be without as it is very nice.
on 13 September 2009
This is a transcendent masterpiece from the highest moment of development of American black music. After those few latter years of Stax, nothing ever got as wonderful again. Watching a soul programme on BBC 2, it was moving to see that all those who knew Otis still got really emotional when they talked about him; indeed I teared up a little myself. Carla was a wonderful match-I believe she had just got her Masters in English Literature shortly before this recording. Some of the most hair on the neck raising and emotionally involving, warm, life affirming, joyous, musis I know if
on 19 March 2009
Whether it's nostalgia or appreciation of good music but the album cover recalls my early teens in the early '60's as I became aware to music. Otis Redding & Carla Thomas, Sam & Dave, the Stax label music at its best, before the advent of vocal 'enhancement', and all electonic studio tracking. Listen and enjoy!!
on 14 February 2013
great copy of a classic, well pressed and just sounds as fresh today as it did back in the day.
on 9 April 2016
Great vintage soul from the vaults of Stax records.
on 9 May 2015
Took me 40 years but I finally got it superb
on 20 December 2016
Fabulous classic. One you must hear and own - even for Otis fans who have not heard this one - it really rocks with Carla Thomas.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 January 2002
Its worth buying just for the TRAMP track - I mean two people having an argument down the mic is great fun. There are also the staple tracks that everyone else has covered - but these are done well.
on 7 November 2016
Had it many years ago on vinyl, now I can listen again to some classic soul sounds, with 2 all time soul legends.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse