Customer reviews

Skid Row
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 April 2017
Great driving music. Sebasian Bach is great, talented......
on 1 March 2006
i remember hearing this for the first time,i was 11 years old,it had just been released,i was into guns n roses and motley crue,this was an album my cousin lent me,when i heard the opener 'big guns',i knew i was in love with this,there is not and i repeat there is not a bad song on here,classics such as '18 and life' and 'youth gone wild' are on here,this album is pretty much 17 years old and it still sounds timely and vutal and superb,skid row had the attitude of guns n roses and the riffs to match,this is a sensational debut,its a snazzy album,did i just use the word snazzy there?,its filled with cheeky innuendos that i didnt understand as a boy,i guess thats why my parents looked on in shock as i recited the lyrics around the house,anyway,get this,you will never ever regret it,hail skid row,i love you and always will
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 April 2017
My hands-down favourite Skid Row album is this one's follow-up, 'Slave to the Grind', which is much heavier and less melodic, however, I still hold a real soft spot for this American heavy metal band's self-titled debut of 1989.

With virtually every track worthy of repeated plays, this was a very impressive, and confident first record, which spawned a number of memorable hit singles. The first is the punky, anthem-like 'Youth Gone Wild' which all teenagers can relate and singalong-to during their rebellious period. Second is the classic '18 and Life', a dark and heavy story-teller of a troubled young man, a relative loner who turns to drink. and ends up in jail after shooting his friend. The third and final is the power-ballad 'I Remember You', which stands tell amongst the finest of Eighties love songs, and is probably the most commercial offering. This is a reflecting story of lost love, which is not only beautiful, but something that I think most of us who have ever been in love or cared deeply about someone can relate to.

'Big Guns', despite the relatively weak lyrics, is a catchy track with a shout-out chorus, which works well as the album's opener. ''Sweet Little Sister' is a humorous song about an older brother singing about his younger siblings' secret life, and 'Can't Stand the Heartache', although more pop flavoured than the rest of the tracks, is still a nice glam-metal track. For me, these three are the best of the album-only songs.

I do think it sad that such a great band like Skid Row will forever be associated, to anyone who isn't a fan, with little more than a few catchy tunes and 80's hair, because they deserve much more than that. I'd personally put these guys in the same category as Guns and Roses, especially with all of their attitude, and the album 'Slave to the Grind' will very much appeal to fans of GNR at their peak. 'Skid Row' is a solid debut from start to finish, which will also be of interest to fans of other contemporary bands like Motley Crue, Cinderella, Bon Jovi, and Ratt, and is one of the very best from it's era.
on 24 January 2006
One of the best debut metal albums EVER! The guitar licks smoulder and Seb Bach's throaty screams just drip with passion and power,the songs are tight roaring anthems about teenage life on the streets.The anthemic 18&Life is for me,what got me into the band:a passion soaked metal ballad that you need to sweat to!!
The punky edge of Piece of Me,Big Guns,and Youth Gone Wild resonate attitude that can't be faulted or ignored.Dave "the Snake" Sabo should be up there with Slash and Ritchie Blackmore as a genius guitarist,his solid riffs and crystal clear solos get under your skin and stay there!!Memories of hot summers in the 80's,as a teen myself,living the wild life,with Seb and Nikki Sixx(Motley Crue)as my icons!!
A shame they only made two brilliant albums before Subhuman Race and the acrimonious split.Still in the words of the album's ballad I Remember You,Skid Row..always will.Please please reform.metal isnt like this anymore,and characters like Sebastian Bach are much missed.Go buy two copies,you will wear one out eventually!!
on 20 October 2002
Sebastian Bach wasn't a shy bloke (I don't think it was his real name!). But for a short time he and his band struck a chord on both sides of the Atlantic, especially over in the US of A.
When they released this debut LP, a mini GNR-type explosion of hype erupted and easily impressed teens like me took notice. Seb was a pretty dude but a cool one as well. The chicks loved him & the guys wanted to be him. I was jealous.
When Skid Row released this LP, the hype was in overdrive & it became a bit of a rock monster. For some reason I truly believed that I was a Youth Gone Wild (despite my bank job & tidy long hair), and Ricky (from 18 And Life) became my hero. These 2 songs are now genuine rock classics.
Skid Row became overnight heroes and, until grunge spoiled it for everyone, they ruled the (rock) world.
Enjoy this LP before the sands of time make it impossible to find at even the most obscure of 2nd hand stores.
on 19 July 2006
It's interesting reading all of the comparisons between the big bands, and particularly the comparisons with Roses. I was lucky enough to be at Wembley in '92 when Skid Row were supporting Roses. It should've been the other way round, Skid Row were awesome, kicked Roses ass. And I was there to see Roses. This album is the very best.
on 22 July 2007
i remember when i was just 14 yrs old that was back in 90 late 90 i think it was sept 1990, anyway i went to this shop that i liked just cause it got rock cassettes so i bought it cause i was looking for hard rock cassettes and i found this tape. i went home and for the 1st time in my live since i got Iron + GNR + Motley i have to mention this i bought this album together with Dr feelgood. back to this album which now i have it on cd its killer vocals what got me into skid row then the twin guitars this is cd that since 1990 i got it on 2 tapes then moved to the cd back in 96 i think this is a cd that im sure no metal head will dislike its got its killer riffs and the best vocal from that era. also check out the 2nd cd by the skids its another masterpiece.
on 20 February 2004
The initial reason for which I was drawn to this album is mainly because of my various other musical preferences such as "Poison", "Kiss", and "Slayer". By complete chance I heard "18 and life" on a MTV2 show and of course I was now inclined to buy this album.
At first I was wary that it was going to just be another metal band spawned from California in the 80's but this turned out to be the biggest misconception I have ever made in my 14 years of being. After hearing the album "Slave to the Grind" in all it's thrash metal glory, I thought I was onto something good with Skid Row's debut album. But, again i was wrong. I was not onto something good, but something absolutely phenomenal. Especially for a debut!!!
With the whole album barely reaching 40 minutes in length, some may say this is a fault. No. In this case it is most definitely short and sweet. Pure masterclass from start to finish with Sebastian Bach and the gang.
The album kicks off with the two anthemic songs "Big Guns" and "Sweet Little Sister" and continues with the perfectly crafted "Can't Stand The Heartache" (by no means a ballad!!) and "Piece of Me". Following on from this we have "18 And Life". Not only the best song on the album, but possibly one of the most prodigious metal songs ever. Beginning with a soft acoustic intro, it follows onto a complex and purely excellent song. You really do have to hear it to fully appreciate the complete brilliance of it. From here we rock on to "Rattlesnake Shake". A good song.(Of course!) "Youth Gone Wild" is next on the bill with it's compelling and catchy riff, which brings vague reminiscences of Motley Crue's "Too Young To Fall In Love". The next two tracks: "Here I am" and "Makin' A Mess" string the album album together very nicely. Next up is the acoustic ballad "I Remember You", which to be honest sounds far too mature for a debut album. Especially from the posse comin' straight outta California. A lovely song none the less. "Midnight Tornado" brings the album to a close in only the classiest rock and roll way. You will find yourself tapping your feet and playing some good old air guitar without even realising it!!
In conclusion to this review can I really do anything but tell you to order this CD right now?!? In all seriousness though, there is not a bad track to be found on this album, and the quality of the whole work is astounding for a debut album.
There is no way to describe this album other than:
" a true metal masterpiece "
on 18 August 2007
I was first given this album to listen to by a friend of mine when I was about 10 or 11. It blew me away then and it still blows me away every time I hear it! Sebastian Bach's vocals are absolutely amazing and the crunching guitar riffs rock like a hurricaine!

How Heavy Metal should sound!
on 19 March 2009
Must say this band and album still sound as good now as when i first heard it on a tape walkman ! This is a must buy for any fan and one of the better debut albums from a time when there were a number of "throw away" rock bands - This stands out as superiour