on 30 August 2017
It's pretty much classic Tom but slightly more sober than some later recordings - very much appreciated as a part of my Jazz Blues collection.
on 12 April 2017
Pick it up, put it on and look forward to great music.
on 7 August 2017
OK
on 14 December 2016
I love, love, love this.
on 16 October 2017
very lovely album
on 12 April 2017
Classic.
on 26 October 2010
I have always loved Tom Waites music,...but this is my very favorite to date.
His voice in this album,is so clear and pure and the lyrics sublime.
Buy It!
Give your ears a treat.
on 17 April 2006
This is Tom Waits' first album, he was 24 when he wrote it and I am at a loss to come up with many other artists (Dylan?) who have expressed themselves with such a mature voice at such a young age.

The album is beautiful from start to finish. It is melodic - full of haunting strings and piano chords. It is sentimental without being saccharine - perhaps it is the smokey bourbon voice which does it.

Standouts for me are Ol'55, Martha ("I remember quiet evenings trembling close to you" - swoon, swoon!) and Grapefruit Moon.

The outstanding thing which he achieves though is putting together a collective of songs which are so evocative. Whilst Waits has stood the test of time and experimentation this is something which has stayed with him throughout his career and can be seen as much on his most recent offering, 'Real Gone' as it can be on this.

This is the best place to start if you plan to get into Tom Waits as it is his first and probably his most accessible. It leads you quite neatly to 1974's 'The Heart of Saturday Night' where his ability as a storyteller becomes more accomplished.

Listen to the lyrics, listen to the music, listen to it again and again. Tom Waits is an absolute genius.
on 5 January 2000
Tom Waitts - Old Gravel Voice :) I heard this album at a friends house one dark evening a good few years ago and was stunned by the emotion held in it's groove (yes it was on vinyl). It is simplicity itself but it can drag up feelings that you thought were gone for good, feelings of sadness and joy. It invokes memories of love lost, love found and love remembered. If you like your music moody and deep then this is for you.
on 6 September 2007
I was gobsmacked to read one reviewer here saying they "can't see the attraction". This is one of my (and my wife's) most frequently played albums. This was our introduction to Tom Waits and though we have many other albums from across his varied repertoire, this is the one we enjoy most; some of the others impress, others interest, and others have their moments, but Closing Time will always be THE Waits album for me.

Hope this helps to introduce someone else to a huge talent.