Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 April 2005
I've owned a copy of this album since I was a school boy (embarassingly over 30 years ago).
There have been times in my life when I haven't played it for several years.
But no matter how long since I last heard it, as soon as the first notes ring out...
Quite simply, one of the VERY best live albums. Humble Pie, as tight and as rocking as you could ever imagine a band. Recorded on their last night at the Fillmore (a legendary venue in its time) after weeks on the road, Peter Frampton and the late Steve Marriott mesh together as only the very finest players can.
It seems incredible to believe that Frampton was still a teenager when this was recorded. And tragic that Marriott is no longer with us.
Listen to the build up at the start of "I'm Ready", the power in "I Don't Need No Doctor". And I defy you not to want to sing along to "Hallelujah (I Love Her So)".
This is a "Go To" album. If you're a rock fan and feeling down this is guaranteed to put the smile back onto your face.
22 Comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 26 July 2012
How does one review such a towering testament to the power of rock? A very, very good question and not easily answered - but suffice to say that of all the live albums that I own (and that's many hundreds) this is the one that I will always come back to as it really set the bar height even though it was recorded over 40 years ago!
For those not in the know, Humble Pie were one of those bands that always produced the goods live although their studio output never did quite portray just how good they really could be but, when you have a vocalist/guitarist of the quality and power of Steve Marriott, the excellent guitar/vocals of Peter Frampton underpinned by the powerhouse rythmn section of Greg Ridley and Jerry Shirley, live was always going to be where the band were at, as this album glaringly shows.
The album (originally a double vinyl album) had Four Day Creep/I'm Ready/Stone Cold Fever on side one, Walk On Gilded Splinters on side two, Rolling Stone on side three, finishing with Hallelujah I Just Love Her So and the ever fresh; Don't Need No Doctor to batter the audience into true submission - so whatever your taste in rock, be it power chords, boogie, vocals or fluid soloing all with a storyline to keep you well amused, then this will take some beating - the only thing to just remind yourself is that you will no longer be able to witness it live yourself (except in video form!) - if only time really could stand still!
But, if you are going to play it, then crank it up, and live (re-live!) a gem of a British Rock Band!!
on 14 April 2017
took me back a lot of years
on 5 June 2017
HUMBLE PIE AT THERE BEST,EXCELLENT ALBUM. STEVE MARRIOTT IS TRUE ENTERTAINER AND REST OF BAND DONT DISAPPOINT. PITY ABOUT STUPID BEEP. FILLMORE STANDS THE TEST OF TIME.STEVE AND GREGG WILL STILL BE ROCKIN WHERE EVER THEY ARE ,LOVE YOU X
on 25 November 2015
Brilliant product, real music, classic rock
on 6 April 2001
I first acquired this album back in the 70's when I was still at school. It is still regularly on my turntable and sounds as good as ever. I urge anyone who wants to listen to live guitar at its very best to buy this CD. AND TURN IT UP LOUD!
on 14 September 2007
I bought this when it first came out the 70's and forgot all about it until recently - why I really can't explain. The reviews on this page say it all really - Marriott is astonishing - what a voice and the 'real' pre- 'Show Me The Way' Frampton - well it just shows the talent they had and people forgot. As with all great live albums it feels almost as if you are there 'Four Day Creep' 'Splinters' and 'Hallelujah' particularly are just terrific. Thank God I heard 'Hallujah' and bought it again. If you love Rock and the Blues and genuinely great live bands buy it!
I first bought this as a double vinyl LP back in the early 70s - it really doesn't seem that long ago!

Steve Marriot was always a favourite of mine from the Small Faces through to Humble Pie. I was fortunate enough to see them at Devizes Corn Exchange in about 1972 and they played a very similar set to this. I find this live album has so much more atmosphere than their studio stuff - indeed, this one is 'electric' with Steve on top form singing the 'blues'. This CD version was mastered back in 1997. My friend has a newer remastered version from 2011 - though I find there is no real difference in sound quality which, for a live album of this age, is excellent.

My favourites tracks are the last 4 - those that were on the 2nd LP. These start with "I Walk on Gilded Splinters" (brilliant guitar from Peter Frampton), then "Rollin' Stone", next "Hallelujah (I Just Love Her So)", and finally the brilliant "I Don't Need No Doctor".

Its a shame that Peter Frampton left shortly afterwards - but he did go on to do some excellent self too. And, alas, Steve Marriot is no longer with us. An excellent album of its type - maybe not everyone's cup of tea - but if you like 70s rock, this is well worth a listen. It gets a regular airing in our house!
on 11 February 2016
Had to update my music collection. I've had the vinyl copy of this since 1972. Now have a CD copy too. I adored it then, love it now. Some reviewers have complained that Steve is screaming/screeching/bawling. . . but I don't understand why people would even buy this album if they weren't fans of Humble Pie. I've been a fan of Steve (may he rest in peace, gone far too soon) (and also Ronnie Lane RIP (made some great music with his own group, Slim Chance, though he wasn't in Humble Pie of course) since they were in The Small Faces. They were talented, and this album is one of my favourites of all time. It IS a classic. And those who don't think so should just move along.
on 22 March 2002
There's an old adage about how to do sucessful presentations: "Tell em what your gonna tell em, tell em, then tell em what you've told em.", and use bullet points. Sound advice:
I'm going to be telling you how this is live guitar at its very best.
This is pure rock'n'roll played by four guys at their peak.
Peter Frampton's solos belie his tender years and Steve Marriot just roars with amazing power.
This is one of the 'heaviest', most astonishingly powerful, blues guitar based albums you will ever hear.
The combination of Frampton and Marriot on both guitar and vocals, sets a standard that has rarely been matched.
So in conclusion, one of the all time great live and guitar albums.
Standout tracks