Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 May 2003
A collection of fabulous songs on here but unfortunately for me this CD is slightly marred by the inclusion of US versions of Slap & Tickle, and Goodbye Girl in place of their UK counterparts. These versions are, imo, inferior; Slap & Tickle woefully so, where the sharp edged, synth driven production has been toned down considerably, and in Goodbye Girl the lyrics have been adapted slightly to help American listeners identify with the music (Jersey has been replaced by Boston, etc).
'tis a shame - hence only 4 stars here.
Squeeze had its roots in the same British lyricism and wit as 1970s Elvis Costello. These charming songs succeed through their deft characterizations, clever observations and catchy tunes. There's also plenty of stylistic variety, from the plaintive rock of their second hit Goodbye Girl with its chugging beat through the punky pop of Cool For Cats and their first chart song Take Me I'm Yours with its gritty guitars to the out-and-out country of Labelled With Love.

Further highlights are the melodious, mid-tempo ballad Up The Junction, a stunning break-up song with striking imagery and impressive turns of phrase, and Another Nail In My Heart which has a sing-along chorus. Other great tracks include Tempted and Pulling Mussels From The Shell. This is fine pop music, quirky and absorbing, especially when Squeeze goes into proper story-telling mood as on the beautiful ballad Labelled With Love.

The lyrics are peculiarly British but the songs have universal appeal. Those who like the music of legendary Stiff Records artists like Ian Dury and the Blockheads,Kirsty MacColl and Nick Lowe will love this album which showcases their work from 1978 to 1982. Squeeze emerged during the punk era but far outlived it. An appealing story-telling style blended with musical versatility to create these truly timeless sounds.
on 6 July 2012
Thanks to the previous review by 'A Customer' I was able to order the 'French Import' version, which does indeed appear to come with the non-Americanised tracks how I remember them on my original Elpee. No offence to our friends accross the pond!!
on 15 November 1999
What a happy cd! There are a lot of songs on this cd that everyone knows (again, from the 80's) and I think Squeeze is a band that I will always be able to listen to. This cd has all the greatest songs - from "Black Coffee in Bed" to "Tempted" to "Pulling Mussels"... need I say more? Squeeze had some great hits and I highly doubt you would be disappointed in buying this cd. If you enjoyed this sound then, it is a great cd to get you back in that mood. Whenever I hear any of the songs on this I find myself singing along and dancing in my seat.
on 3 September 2016
Agree with the last review in that the American versions of goodbye girl and slap and tickle lack the pace and punch of the vinyl originals . even more disappointing though is the omission of my favourite track - labelled with love and its replacement with the inferior ' if I didn't love you '
on 21 October 2015
Why is this different to the original 45's and under? Change of lyrics on Goodbye Girl (lyrics for Americans from a British band?) and where is my favourite "Labelled with Love"? But other than that, good to revisit after all these years.
on 30 January 2014
Excellent collection of Squeeze singles from 1978-1982 with virtually all the classic early singles included i.e 'Up The Junction', 'Cool For Cats' and a number of releases that should have done much better such as the superb 'Is That Love' and the bluesy workout of 'Tempted'. I've knocked a star off this review for 1 simple reason - this particularly edition doesn't feature the classic 'Labelled With Love' which is frankly astonishing.
on 13 April 2014
I was so pleased to find this, as I know it so well, having an original vinyl copy but nothing to play it on. So, it was like seeing an old friend from a long time ago. Superb, creative, intelligent sounds, head and shoulders above the forgettable rubbish of most of its contemporaries.
Delivery was prompt and secure, price was a steal. Five out of five from me.
on 10 November 2010
I had this "ALBUM" years ago on tape and loved it, now years on the cd has taken me back - ah good times. This was a great bargain and a great service, so glad i clicked buy now. delighted.
on 7 February 2012
A great collection of classic squeeze songs, I have this album on tape stashed in the loft with all my other tapes and vynle, so I hadn't heard it for years. As good now as it was then when I first bought it about twenty years ago. Great price too, 1p plus postage!