Customer reviews

Cornerstone
Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 30 September 2009
The first Styx album I heard was the one preceding this, 'Pieces Of Eight', a great and varied rock album, and still my favourite by this band. 'Cornerstone', by comparison, disappointed me. Not surprisingly, they share similar production values, but not quality of material. Empty, forgettable love songs, mainly the responsibility of Dennis DeYoung, are to blame. 'Babe', despite its tackiness, I can forgive because it's so memorable, but not the others. The band's true rocker, James Young, has just one song, the raucous 'Eddie', which stands out as a result. Tommy Shaw seems to have one foot in both camps, co-writing the passable 'Lights' and 'Borrowed Time' with DeYoung, while contributing the above average 'Love In The Midnight' himself. He's also behind 'Boat On The River', the only song besides 'Eddie' that doesn't conform to the general style of the album. Mandolin, accordion and a very un-rock rhythm make for a brave effort which no doubt divides the band's fans, but I prefer that to some of the slush elsewhere on the disc. Overall, 'Cornerstone' is just about OK, but in relative terms it's one of Styx's career blips.
on 6 August 2013
One of Styx's best albums
on 19 April 2016
Superb album great songs, melody, harmonies but then u would,nt expect anything less from one of America,s all time greatest bands. Postage and packing first class.
on 29 November 2017
I would like to say thank you
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 March 2015
One of my all time favorite LPs - but I no longer have a record player so this has taken it's place :)
on 23 April 2018
After the magnificence of the previous three Styx albums, Cornerstone came as a disappointment. Being into the harder side of music in general this was never going to satisfy me, and it seemed a conscious effort to go more into the 'mainstream'. In fact after this album I didn't bother with the band for nearly two decades! Too many ballads for me !
on 20 January 2016
I had the LP years ago and wanted to collect it again.
on 18 April 2016
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 May 2016
Everything is alright.
on 21 November 2001
I have to admit I may be a little biased on this album. I'm not a big fan of ballads, and this album is loaded with them (Babe, First Time, to name two), but I always loved the song "Borrowed Time". In my opinion, it's got one of the best intros - the kind you test out new speakers to. The song then loses power, but that intro...wow!
Many have citicized the album for being too lightweight - due to too many sappy love songs, but I guess I'm biased due to growing up with "Babe" and "First Time" (saccarine sweet as they are) being played on those hot summer nights, way back when...