Customer reviews

Daydream
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 June 2008
Daydream was Mariah's 4th studio album released in the fall of 1995, by this this time there was pressure on her to try and match, or even exceed the success of her last album `Music Box', and did she accomplish this? well the answer is yes, but she didn't just make another hit record that was nominated for numerous Grammy's, or that went on to sell tens of millions of copies, on this album she took more creative control than ever before, and there's plenty of evidence of Mariah developing not just her style, but as an artist.

Classic Mariah ballads make up a large percentage of this album, but this time around they have more of an edge, and they are deeper and more emotional, and for the first time guests are present, including contributions from Boys II Men and Jermaine Dupri, who appear on the songs `One Sweet Day', Always Be My Baby' and `Long Ago`.

In my opinion some of the best tracks on the album are firstly the incredibly moving `Open Arms', one of my favourite Mariah songs of all time, it reminds me of a war song because of all the lyrical references to the idea of being apart, hence the lyrics `living without you living alone / this empty house seems so cold', apparently the song was a reconstituted version of something similar to this written back in 1981, although I'm not sure, `I Am Free' was also another one of my favourites, it's basically about having been freed though love, again very very successful lyrically, the dreamy and drifting `Underneath The Stars' what can I say? I Have 99.9 percent of the time found Mariah and Walter Afanasieff collaborations to be a success, so i think that says it all, `One Sweet Day' was also very much a stand out track for me, a true ballad and one of the best, the collaboration between Mariah and Boys II Men was perfectly matched and worked a treat, `Always Be My Baby', `When I Saw You' and `Forever' were also among my favourites.

The fact that after the album had been nominated for various Grammy awards, but failed to even gain a single one is completely unimportant, because this album has already won the best prize of all, well for a start it's without a doubt timeless, and not just that it's also the fact it was brought to us by a superb artist who knows how to write songs, and knows how to captivate her audience in a way no other artist can, a certain triumph for the one and only Mariah Carey.
on 2 December 2015
Quite possible Mariah's best album. Vocally it is her best along with Butterfly and the production is just impeccable. Fantasy has become a pop classic and its remix is now credited for popularising mainstream hip-hop collaborations. Both Fantasy and One Sweet Day were huge at the time, both debuting at #1 and making Mariah the first female singer to achieve this, the latter, in fact, still holds the record for spending the most weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The "real" tracks, however, are the ones where she gets personal. It is with Daydream when Mariah started gaining a little more control over her music - 'I Am Free' more or less anticipates this freedom. 'Looking In' is arguably a story of Mariah's life too. 'Always Be My Baby' has become a song that Mariah never misses in concert; it is the perfect pop song. 'Underneath The Stars' is Mariah's own favourite song and sadly the video was lost before it could ever be released. 'Open Arms' is obviously a cover and displays greatly her vocal abilities, same with 'Forever,' where seemingly impossible belts are sung effortlessly. 'Melt Away' is a sweet song, always left in the shadow of the other tracks of the album. Here Mariah shows off her lower range, which is just as impressive as her upper register.Overall, this album is a must-have. Not only it is a record-breaking record which has marked the industry, but offers incredible vocals from Mariah Carey's musical peak.
on 7 March 2007
Mariah Carey's Daydream album is her last great record in my opinion. Her songwriting is fantastic and strong here, songs like One Sweet Day, Underneath the Stars, Forever, When I Saw You, and Looking In are songs you will hear over and over again. There's a beautiful cover of the Journey hit, Open Arms. The album closer Looking In is such a haunting and brutally open song, "Well here I am for all of them to bleed but they can't take my heart from me, and they can't bring me to my knees, they'll never know the real me." The song I Am Free took me awhile to like it but it has a great message. Hits like Always be my Baby and Fantasy should have you jumping for joy, very catchy and addictive. It's really sad that Mariah doesn't make pop albums anymore, she's too busy churning out pathetic hip-hop albums with her rapper posse doing all the work for her. I highly recommend Daydream, and her previous albums: Mariah Carey, Emotions, MTV Unplugged,...
on 4 November 2001
This Grammy nominated album is one of Ms Careys smoothest albums, the title says it all, Daydream and in fact thats what this album is. Her best uptempo songs to date came with album including the fast and upbeat fantasy and her 50s inspired always be my baby is one of the best songs of her career. Then we have the smash hit One Sweet day, possibly the best death song ever written/sung, and her laidback mid tempo underneath the stars, one of the other best songs on the album. Her cover version of Journeys classic songs 'Open Arms' might raise a few eyebrows with Rock fans and makes one wonder why she would touch this classic, and then there are more laid back ballads like Forever and Melt Away where you get caught up in the moment. If you are one to drft away in the moment and a daydreamer then this album is recommended
on 1 May 2009
This is easily a favourite of Mariah Carey's album, but comes second to Music Box. Great singles including Fantasy, one sweet day and always be my baby, this album goes down as being one of the greatest albums of the 90's with over 10 million albums sold!
on 9 August 2008
10. Forever. 10/10
11. Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix). 9/10
12. Looking In. 9/10

OVERALL GRADE: 10/10
Mariah Carey sure knows how to construct an album. She places herself between R&B and Adult Contemporary. From the brilliant dance of "Fantasy" and "Always Be My Baby" to the smooth R&B of the Boys II Men duet "One Sweet Day", this is one of her best.
on 14 October 2012
One of Mariah's stronger albums - fantastic! This album and the Butterfly album are for me the best of her career to date.
on 22 September 2010
This for me is a favourite wether your a Mariah fan or not this album is so sublime and washes over you with the feeling of silk. Mariah's song writing and change in direction make the album what it is where as previous albums sounded rather contrived And dull Daydream is fire and ice rythm and blues and so much more a fantastic album by a very good artist.
on 12 April 2014
This is one of the best Mariah's album, her voice here was so perfect and her songs were amazing! It has many highlights like : One Sweet Day (Song of the Decade -90's- for Billboard) , Underneath the Stars , When I Saw You , Fantasy etc
If you like Mariah Carey YOU MUST have it
on 19 January 2010
This is one of the best albums Mariah Carey has done, if you like to listen to all the old tunes then this is the one to buy
** Lots of slow tunes **