Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 October 2014
I disagree with many of the other comments. DGs guitar shines throughout this album soaring in its usual place. The remastered version sits just fine with the rest of his work.
Plenty to enjoy.
on 7 February 2015
I'm a huge floyd fan and after I had bought all those albums I was left wanting more, so I started listening to some of David's solo work and bought his three albums. If your not sure whether to pick this up all I can say is the tracks 'Murder' and 'Near The End' make it well worth it. I have only listened to the entire album a couple of times, some of the tracks may sound a little dated to some but I quite liked them. I keep returning to those two tracks I mentioned though, they are absolutely brilliant and up there with the very best Gilmour/floyd songs in my opinion.

9 July 2017
I've updated my review and bumped it up a star as i have grown to really love this album, i have listened to it so many times now. The track 'You Know I'm Right' is another stand out, the solo towards the end is fast becoming one of my favourites. The ninth track 'Lets Get Metaphysical' is an instrumental featuring The National Philharmonic Orchestra along side some great guitar work, it reminds me of Ennio Morricone every time I hear it.
I highly recommend this album.
on 29 March 2015
[9] - After the problems Gilmour / Waters & Mason had during the recording of - 'The final cut' - it seemed possible Pink Floyd would never ever record together again so we soaked up their solo projects like a sponge - Roger Waters produced his first solo album 'The pros & cons of hitchhiking' & David Gilmour produced this album 'About face' his second solo album released in March 1984 one year after 'The final cut' & on his 38th birthday....

This album was co-produced with Bob Ezrin & engineered by Andrew Jackson - orchestration Michael Kamen & mixed by James Guthrie -
'About face' is mainly Blues/Rock based with American Jeff Porcaro on drums who is best known for his work in 'Toto' & 'Steely Dan' - It includes Welsh bassist Pino Palladino best known for his work with the 'John Mayer trio' - Although Ian Kewly did the bulk of the hammond & piano parts other keyboardists include the likes of Jon Lord of 'Deep Purple' & Stevie Winwood....

David Gilmour commented on 'About Face' in 2006 saying "Looking back on it it has some great moments but the whole flavour of it is a bit too 80's for my current taste" - I agree with him that it has a flavour of the 1980's but even so it's worth a listen - it's mostly very good.....
on 6 September 2015
Bring back memories
on 9 January 2016
Great album from an outstanding musician and singer.
on 3 June 2017
...Crackin'Album this takes me back to Bedsit Land,In Plymouth..Dave Gilmours 'guitar work is top Notch, as always..it was his second Solo Album..A fine peice of Work..Class
on 5 October 2015
A great music, a great musician, but very poor packaging protection. CD box arrived broken.
on 5 March 2017
Perfect
on 28 April 2017
Love it. Good value
on 22 July 2002
After the great Floyd schism that followed the (in my view) dreadful "The Final Cut", David Gilmour produced this, his second solo album, and showed all those who'd ever doubted it (not me!) that Roger Waters may have got the plaudits, but he was just as crucial to the mighty Floyd.
With an impressive band behing him (including Bad Company's Mick Ralphs on Guitar and legendary session man Pino Palladino on bass), About Face showed Gilmour at his musical best. Not the most pyrotechnic of singers, his voice suits the material so well, and the guitar work is stunning, with simple but clever solos liberally scattered throughout.
Stand out tracks for me are the opener "Until We Sleep", with the its driving bass line; "Murder" - a bit eerie this one; "Let's Get Meta-physical" where DG meets the London Philharmonic and blows the speakers, along with the mind; the Album closer "Near The End" is beautiful, atmospheric and completely unsuitable for anyone suffering from Depression!
Chuck in the Funky "Blue Light"; add a dash of Pete Townsend guesting on "All Lovers Are Deranged", light the blue touch paper and retire to have your mind blown!
Roger Who?