Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 February 2015
A sublime recording. I have had copies of it at various points in my life including Canada, Italy and the UK. I had the pleasure of listening to Szeryng and meeting him in Siena in the 1980's and my mother had known him since the 1950's. This recording would probably have become the definitive recording had it not been for the jealousy of Itzhak Perlman who castigated Szeryng in life and does so to this day. This recording is proof of what breeds such sentiments from peers and professionals. Szeryngs intonation, phrasing, bowing are all unique but truly it is his 'naturalness' which makes him superlative. I cannot recommend this recording without stating that Deutsche Grammophon did not sign up performers lightly. A beautiful testament to Bach.
on 16 September 2015
Having never quite got on with the Sonatas and Partitas, despite my being well aware that they are masterpieces, I got these Szeryng performances, a violinist I have long admired, in the hope of coming to appreciate them better. Well, it certainly worked. The performances are magnificent, and utterly changed my view. Someone how Szeryng humanizes the pieces, while being technically perfect. It is invidious to comment on other recordings, but I have Perlman and Milstein - both very highly thought of by many - but the former I found a bit bland and the latter too stern. I've been playing the Szeryng, Bach a lot - and that hasn't happened before. He was of course a great player across a whole range of repertoire, although shamefully, some of his recording are hard to find these days. Anyway this recording is very strongly recommended.
on 3 July 2014
Outstanding performance. Usurpassed depth of vision and clarity.
on 19 November 2012
Henryk Szeryng is not a glamourous name among recording artists. A winner of some international competitions and an émigré from Poland to Mexico, it is said that he was "discovered" by Arthur Rubinstein, who was his compatriot, leading to their artistic collaboration in the 1960s (as some RCA recordings can testify).

Having enjoyed listening to his recordings of Brandenburg Concertos (with Neville Marriner) and Bach's Violin Concertos for some time, I recently bought the present 2-CD set. Although there are many recordings of this masterpiece in the catalogue - and I have listened to many of them (Milstein, Perlman, Grumiaux, Podger, Abraghimova, etc.) - I think this set is one of the outstanding versions currently available.

Apart from his full and beautiful sound, Szeryng possesses an aristocratic style and poise. I am not a musicologist and do not have technical expertise, but, I feel his choice of tempi is judicious. There is no sense of rushed playing for the sake of showing off his technique. The overall architecture of each sonata and partita appears to have been carefully worked out. The Partitas with dance melodies are most beautifully played. The listener will be struck by the purity of his tone and lack of mannerisms, and will be able to appreciate the inner beauty of the work.

The recording, made in 1967, has been expertly re-mastered. At the low retail price, this set is a bargain.
on 3 July 2010
Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin is an exceptional music on its own, and Henrik Szeryng is a very special and exceptional violinist, in my opinion. His interpretation of Bach is very unique and it is my favorite. I highly recommend this CD.
on 21 January 2013
Fast delivery and as described, thanks.
on 15 August 2011
This is the interpretation that I keep coming back to for solo violin Bach. A flawless Chaconne - absolutely one of my favorite works. I cannot recommend this enough.
on 3 April 2010
I have this on vinyl and do not believe it can be beaten for prcision and aoul., so I knew what I was getting when I irdered it.
on 27 March 2011
Back in 1972, in Paris, I went to a Bach recital given by Henryk Szering. The discs under review revived many memories but beware like the Goldberg variations the Sonatas and Partitas go on for ever, 2 complete discs. Recommend play one and have a break preferably with a little pianoforte in between,the Goldberg will suffice. Szering's playing on the disc is faultless and a must for Bach lovers. If one is lucky enough to play a string instrument this recording goes into the top drawer of one's collection.
on 28 January 2013
Poor service that took more than ten days for the CD to arrive.A classical approach to playing Bach with no modern tricks.