Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 December 2016
Amazing performance from an amazing artist.
on 6 December 2011
This is a magnificent, touchstone recording of Organ Symphony, which displays glorious BPO sounds in full (how tame and dull it sounds now under Simon Rattle!). The sublime slow movement is played most beautifully with the stunning sense of rapt lyricism. The last movement is one of the most powerful and exciting on records. I prefer this original issue version to the unnaturally clear Karajan Gold remastering.
on 6 December 2011
on 11 March 2010
I have loved the classical organ for the past 40 years and since my schooldays have thought nothing of travelling huge distances to hear recitals by some of the greatest performers of their time, on some of the world's finest instruments. When I was a schoolboy Karajan was my favourite conductor and the Berlin Phil. the orchestra I admired most. The great organ of Notre Dame has also always been one of my absolute favourites and I remember daydreaming a a teenager about how wonderful it would be if all of these could be assembled to produce a definitive performance of this stunning work. When thumbing one day through the latest issue of Gramophone Magazine imagine my excitement when I saw that the impossible had happened. Needless to say the LP was in my collection in 'record' time and it has been one of my most valued possessions ever since.

I think I have heard all the best known versions but none in my opinion comes close for sheer excitement and ravishing sound. As an added bonus it even has the great Cochereau on the French instrument, whose snarling reeds are perfectly suited to this work. I did read one review accusing it of being 'over-the-top' but I really feel that this is often what Romantic performances are about and I find some of the alternatives decidedly wishy-washy in comparison.

Buy it, sit down with a glass of something and prepare to be invigorated, but take care not to spill your drink.
on 7 February 2014
Von Karajan became conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic after Furtwangler. Rumour has it that the orchestra wept (in sorrow) after their first rehearsal with Von Karajan because he absolutely sucked the life out of the music. He has done this with Saint-Saens 3rd organ symphony. Sadly, I'd forgotten that story before I purchased this recording. I've given away...to someone who doesn't know I don't like them!
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2016
Wonderful music, delivery as expected
on 11 December 2016
Excellent!!!!
on 24 September 2013
I didn't know this work until I saw the film 'Babe'. That was years ago, and I always meant to hear the whole work, but never got round to it. I am so glad I finally managed it - the thrill of the last movement is hard to beat.