Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£5.94+ £1.26 shipping

on 13 January 2017
I thought this a little muddy for my old ears, so bought the John Eliot Gardiner with the Monteverdi Choir and English Baroque Soloists which I now prefer.
on 15 August 2017
I don't know where my copy of Mozart's requiem went - I still have the case but no CD. This is a good replacement and I have played it a lot. I'm not too fond of the solo soprano's voice but the rest of the singers and the Berlin orchestra are fine.
on 24 June 2013
A good recording and very moving. Sensitive and blending joy and sadness.One of my favourite works ever. Excellent value. and a recording I shall treasure.
on 19 September 2017
Who can fault Mozzie? I can however fault Music Magpie for supplying a badly scratched and sticky cd. Not the first time.
on 23 April 2017
I am using this CD to aid learning a vocal part. No complaints.
on 27 January 2013
I have always loved this classic album - who could argue with it's Mozart afterall.
My vinyl edition was sounding the worse for wear so this was the practical way to continue the pleasure of this music.
on 28 May 2017
Very good, one of the better recordings
on 28 May 2017
Exactly what I wanted
on 20 August 2017
tick vg
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 December 2014
This is obviously a big-scale, traditional Requiem but it is in no sense inert or plodding; its energy is mainly attributable to the drive and commitment of Karajan's favourite chorus, the Vienna Singverein, who sing with crisp bite and attack. The acoustic is big and churchy and the orchestra set rather far back compared with the soloists and choir but that suits me. Karajan recorded this three times, in 1961, 1975 and 1986, and all have their merits but this must surely field the finest team of soloists, featuring of team of his regulars all of whom have splendid voices, better than that the quartet of ten years later (Tomowa-Sintow is again the soprano but not as fresh). However, in contrast with the choir, they seem rather restrained and over-dependent on smoothing out their vocal lines; the effect is lovely but is there such a thing as excessive legato in singing? In any case, they combine beautifully and are in tune in both senses of the phrase, even if sometimes I'd like a bit more urgency and expressiveness of the kind Solti or de Burgos elicit from their singers.