Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 February 2015
A brilliant live recording of Traffic at their most Jazzy (for want of a description!) I've got this on Vinyl, Cassette, CD and was being lazy I got it on download! Always been one of my favourite discs - I went through 3 cassettes in my ancient car player. The whole group was on top form when they recorded this.
on 12 October 2016
The music should attract five stars (see Paul Middleton review) but the quality of the recording is poor, no remastering.
on 2 June 2017
Despite not being remastered, a lovely album to hear again, thankyou...
on 5 June 2017
Great live album especially Low spark.
on 1 February 2009
As live albums go this is one of the best. I've got most of Traffic's other studio albums on vinyl (and CD) and listen to them regularly (especially John Barleycorn). I'd never heard this one before so I bought it a couple of months ago (Oct 08) and alongwith Hawkwind's "In Search of Space", this is one of only two albums on my desktop as a shortcut.

It's on my desktop, it's in my car and I wish I'd known about it years ago.

If you have any doubt as to whether to buy this or not - go for it. For the sake of a few quid, this could easily become one of your favourite albums.
on 7 August 2017
This one sems to generate mixed opinions, which surprises me (particularly silly comments about comparing it to Winwood in the Spencer Davis group and insulting Traffic as a 'pick up band'). For me, if I was sent to the proverbial desert island and could only take one Traffic album with me, it would lead to much hand-wringing, but this might well be the one. Effectively a live best-of from the Barleycorn-Low spark-Shoot out era,ie their best, 'On the road' features somewhat extended versions of several classic tracks. Yes, the playing is a bit loose, as in what bands improvising will do, and yes the studio versions are at least as strong, but who cares? This is timeless, original music.
on 20 February 2011
This album is a must for any music lover let alone admirers of Steve Winwood & Co. The playing and recordings are superb with the Traffic nucleus of Winwood, Capaldi and Wood being augmented by the mighty Muscle Shoals rhythm section and Reebop.
This is one of the best bands ever formed at the top of their game. Steve Winwood has never been better before or since and that's saying something. His guitar work is fantastic as are his keyboards and vocals. Chris Wood's sax is sparse, searching and uniquely wonderful. The drumming as someone mentioned before in another review is sublime especially on "Low Spark".
A thing of beauty and a joy forever, beg, steal or borrow it now!
review image
on 12 May 2013
UNEQUALLED, KNOCK-OUT LIVE ALBUM!
A "TIMELINE" REVIEW...
PLAY 1...Jazz and R'nB - what?? It doesn't sound like Traffic, I expected pop, like "Hole In My Shoe", etc.
PLAY 2...No I don't get it. The tracks are too long... I don't know what's it's all about. (Have I been done?).
PLAY 3...I'll play it again - you never know. Hey! I like "Low Spark" and "Glad/Freedom Rider"! (I get those two anyway!)
PLAY 4...Yes, "Low Spark" and "Glad/Freedom Rider" are excellent. Wait! ...tracks 4 and 5 are al-right now! I get it!
PLAY 5...Yep! Cool album, I love it all! It's terrific, what incredible musicianship, what an incredible achievement live!
PLAY 6...And for the next 40 yrs...visionary...genius...perceptive...worthwhile...appreciated...I never tire of it! (etc, etc).

WARNING! IT MAY TAKE SEVERAL LISTENS TO FULLY APPRECIATE THIS MORE MEANINGFUL, BETTER ALBUM! (*Get 2003 remaster).
on 13 July 2010
Listening to On The Road was like reacquainting with an old friend. Some weaknesses, flaws, but overall a blast from the past. I just wish Traffic had stepped up a bit more. At times they seemed so laid back and poorly rehearsed. They were a great band but somehat overlooked except by a few. And as for Dave Mason, what did he do wrong? His songs may have been too commercial for Winwood but he made his contribution early on and seems to get no recognition, let alone inclusion such as at the celebration for Jim Capaldi.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2017
This somehow came into my possession early seventies, I never bought it. In moments of desperation on a sad Sunday, I'd sometimes play Glad/Freedom Rider but.....really.......
I knew of the incredible promise in the first Spencer Davis album (Dimples, all that stuff), incendiary singing from Steve Winwood, and the follow-up "Autumn 66" with arrangements of a quality and sophistication that very few pop bands were reaching at the time. Real, real music. Again, absolutely stunning vocal stuff, we are talking Sam Cook, Ray Charles here.
Then we get this pile of *****. How on Earth did it get to that from such promise? Again, a pick-up band, Winwood seems unable to hold a band together for more than five minutes. Noodling lyrics, nothing to say except "he's tired", poor compositions, he misses all his bends on the tortoise-like guitar playing and wants to disguise this by playing through distortion and then he's chosen a £20.00 fuzz box to do it. Hours of this.
I don't know or care what happened to my edition of this record. Have it if you like it, I say it's abysmal and doubly wretched from those beginnings.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse