Customer reviews

Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 October 2017
great service. cd is excellent.
on 31 July 2017
another great traffic album
on 28 April 2014
prestine contiition
plays like a dream and sounds like pliss..oh how i love vinyl
love the lp ad the supplier
on 18 July 2017
For some reason this seems to be seen as a step down for Traffic. It isn't...it's another great example of their British Americana stylings. Particularly love the grooving of the title track, the fabulous instrumental 'Tragic magic', and the wistful 'Rollright stones', whose lyrics absolutely evoke a visit to them.
on 12 February 2015
How can a band scale the same heights as John Barleycorn Must Die, The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys and Mr Fantasy? Not possible, though this isn't too far behind... i just don't think it has the great songs of the above albums although as on all the Traffic releases, the musicianship is always incredible. It's a very good album and great listening - just for me it doesn't do what the others are able to (some do disagree, I know.) But then, I always say the more Traffic, the better!
on 31 July 2009
I remember when I first heard the title track "Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory", I was in one of those fashionable head shops in London in 1973. It boomed out over the speakers, a fabulous jangly guitar work over an extremely lively african percussion. It had a vitality that I had not previously heard. I wanted to know the title. Got it, bought it when I had enough money to do.

Up until this point, I was a hardened hard rock fan, if an LP did not have a fuzz guitar and a screamy voice, it was not worth a light.

When I got this record on to the turntable and heard the fast-paced opening track, I was hooked. Moved on to the rather spacy Roll Right Stones, a cool sounding sax right throughout the track - this opened the gateway to jazz and I started to explore the best Jazz musicians in LP's which I borrowed from local library. Then I started to listen to other genres such as soul and funk (Parliament, Larry Graham and Sly and the Family Stone).

The album was a complete education for me. From there, I learned a great deal more about the world of music.

I always have it on my MP3 player and listen to it frequently.
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2006
The second of Traffic's 'quirky cover' albums, created by the same line up that brought forth the legendary 'Low Spark of High Heeled Boys'. At the time if you had the first, you just had to buy the second.

OK, so it's not as good, and I think that has always been 'Shoot-Out's problem, it was created in the shadow of a classic, but on its own, out of context, as it were, it contains some good work.

The title track's music is a sharp, tight piece with a rhythm that will not leave your head; pity about the lyrics - all I'll say is vintage late 20th century weird (e.g.: 'Donald Duck began to shout..') - shame really.

'Roll Right Stones' is the album's equivalent of 'Low Spark of High Heeled Boys'. This is a slower, more reflective (some might say moody) work; much inspired by the first 'New Age' themes of the late 60s / early 70s.As with its forebear the excellence of the musicians and their inventiveness spares us any of the self-indulgence prevalent in the 'long' or 'epic' works of that era.

'Tragic Magic' is as tight as 'Shoot-Out' and although is a slower, more remorseless piece, being an instrumental suggests 'Shoot-Out' would have benefited from this approach.

'Evening Blue'& 'Sometimes I Feel So Uninspired' are melodic but bleak and maybe the Traffic vocalists were not up to the task (I recall Jim Capaldi being given the vocal credits for 'Uninspired'), whatever, in content they are both arresting & memorable songs.

So there you are a nearly, not quite, excellent album. Personally it has a lot of fond memories for me, I lost the vinyl somewhere between 1975 & 1982, but bless my dear wife; she bought me the CD for Christmas 2004.

Glad to have you back old friend.
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2009
A much under-rated album that stands the ravages of time very well and retains a contemporary sound. Less folk-influenced than other Traffic albums, with some funky beats, "afro" combo and jazzy rhythms (Shoot Out... & Tragic Magic), laid back jazz (Roll Right Stones/ Tragic Magic) which blend well with the much more bluesy and soulful tracks (Evening Blue and Uninspired). The result is a timeless and polished contemporary rock sound. The songs, the production and musical expertise stand up very well.

There are still some folk and even classical strains, but the album is certainly quality rock that is easy to listen to, ambiental and fluid, and mood-creating. Some critics rated the album at the release time as "uninspired" (references to the track on the album). However, there are no duff tracks and had the title track from the previous album "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys" been on this album - it would have blended in here without a problem - then the album would have probably been much more highly rated!

Quality material! Traffic at their best & certainly, well worth a listen!
on 13 August 2015
Great album from the best band of the 60's and 70's - still sounds brilliant today
on 10 June 2013
By far the best Traffic album. Well, OK John Barleycorn runs it close but ignore the naysayers and the complainers. Shoot Out takes the approach of Low Spark, ditches the extrovert hippyness and produces deliciously long jazz-rock tracks within a melancholic framework. Uninspired it is not. In fact it is precisely the opposite - a wonderfuly uplifting piece of work.