Customer reviews

on 13 November 2009
This album does not quite match the superb "Sneakin Sally Through The Alley" but is certainly his next best recording and is much better than any later stuff. I still remember hearing "Give Me An Inch Girl" on Radio 1 after its this album's release in about 1976 and it was this that first made me aware of Robert Palmer. "Which Of Us Is The Fool" and "Back In My Arms" are also great songs. I recently heard Stuart Maconie and Mark Ratcliffe talking about the best blue-eyed soul singers of all time on their Radio 2 show and could not believe it when Robert Palmer was not mentioned !
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 August 2006
I love this album and never get tired of listening to it. Had it on cassette for years, and last year got it on CD. As the previous reviewer correctly pointed out this is an eclectic collection but I think there is a common thread running through the songs even though there are various styles used.

I don't know whether this soul or funk or rock and frankly I don't care. Its bloody good music. Robert Palmers vocals are as always that wonderful blue-eyed soul that so perfectly fitted this early part of his career.

Little Feat are heavily involved and the influence of groups like The Meters can still be heard in the grooves that are laid down.

I don't think theres a duff track on the album. Favourites well if I had to pick two it would be 'Fine Time' and 'Back In My Arms' which which sort of sums up the album for me, but on another day I'd probably pick two others!

If you like your music with a heavy dose of funk/soul and a sprinkling of Reggae this is an essential album to get.
on 24 June 2009
This seems to be the album that faded right from sight. Pity, as I rate it one of his best.
on 14 December 2002
Not his best effort (that title would have to go to either "Secrets" or "Pride") but still a great album.
His reputation for unusual rhythms and eclecticism was founded on albums such as this, at his smoothest on tracks such as "Back in my arms" and "Here with you Tonight", pure slow funk on Riverboat and Reggae cropping up on the title track. As ever his eclectic tastes can sometimes result in patchy work but when it results in tracks like "Work to make it Work" I won't complain. His clever lyrics once again stand out from the crowd of pop music minnows.
Indispensible listening for Palmer fans but a little demanding for those in search of an album where all the songs sound alike.
on 13 November 2016
With Little Feat,on top form with Lowell George,as the backing musicians and the best bass player ever James Jamerson guesting on bass on some tracks.I bet Robert Palmer was on cloud nine recording this.
on 17 May 2010
I bought the original LP some years ago. I still have it but no medium to play it. So I've missed his music. Getting this is a wonderful blast from the past evoking many memories.
on 8 April 2014
Various reviews have stated that this isnt a patch on 'Sneakin Sally through the alley' but I'm the other way around. Would highly recommend to all Palmer fans.
on 11 December 2014