on 28 February 2016
I fell in love with this album, and U2 themselves back in 1987 when Bono n the boys posters covered my wall. On the TV was my Commodore64 on the turntable was U2.... hardly a fan at all now, but hey! Great times great memories. I had this on he Walkman during my paperound and as much as it 'takes me back' it still stands as a work o art. Rock riffs, soulful and blues at times, haunting, heartbreacking and tragic at others times this album is still in my top 5 favs and is one of them raraties where there are no duff songs, ironically the 'hits' are the weaker songs. The album paints a bleak picture Bono omce said it was very 'Irish', well ironically i live in Ireland now and couldnt comment on that but fair to say this album made me think Ireland must be an über cool place, again i was a teenager at the time. I be honest the artwork is cool but seen it before..not watched the DVD but the 'b sides' albim is amazing and further brings nostalgia of me flipping them 45s back in 87. An album that meant the world to me back them and delighted to say it still does, if for different reasons.
7 people found this helpful
on 22 July 2017
Be aware if you buy this as an investment and don't open it, one of the discs in mine was out of line within the sleeve and thus stuck with adhesive to the internal sleeve. Unfortunately I only found this out after tearing one of the disc openings trying to rotate it to get it out, then to find it had paper adhered to it. I should have stopped at the first point of discovery of a defect and returned the package, and certainly after removing the disc and finding adhesive on it, but I attempted to clean the adhesive off. It does play tracks 1-15 but not 16/17. As you also get a digital download it is not the end of the world for me as it was not intended as an investment / pristine item, but nonetheless disappointing. I would point out that this is an manufacturing issue nothing to do with Amazon. If I was buying this to keep boxed and pristine it certainly comes well packaged, card outer box, foam inner box then the actual box set is also shrink wrapped.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 December 2014
I am a younger U2 fan and this is there best album in my opinion. Out of the ones I have listened to this is the most consistent and sophisticated. What makes it great for me is the lyrics. Every song is passionate written and I love the variety of topics ,from war in Bullet the Blue Sky to Bono's Māori friend in One Tree Hill. I love how U2 blend rock and blues and in the same way Led Zeppelin did. If I was forced to pick a favorite I would have to say Running To Stand Still. It is pure passion and magic.

The Joshua Tree is a masterpiece and easily one of the best albums of the 80s. If you new to U2 don't bother with the greatest hits and just start here.
2 people found this helpful
on 25 March 2018
Possibly U2's most famous album and the one which brought them to stadium sized live attractions. The additional live cd attracted me to buying another version having seen them on this tour and having a number of bootlegs from the tour itself. The sound on the live cd is excellent and although the show is only one cd long it reflects much of the tour. Well worth purchasing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 September 2012
This is a review of the twentieth anniversary edition. There are no extra tracks.

`The Joshua Tree', originally released in 1987, is arguably U2's greatest album. Bill Flanagan, who has written the sleevenotes, is right when he says that, with this collection, U2 got to the top of the mountain. But whether he's right also to state that U2 were different from all the previous occupants of this rarefied position to use it "as a place to build a launching pad" to greater heights is open to conjecture. (The sleeve design sees the group crowded together in a wide desolate landscape, as if to emphasise their arrival at the top - or, alternatively, an admission that the world is bigger than they are.)

Like `October', there are no mere filler tracks here. If the song structures appear formulaic - in particular Bono's vocal constructions, the production itself and the arrangements allow for much innovation, making each track distinct. For me, two tracks stand out: the opening `Where the Streets Have No Name' (I can't get enough of that guitar!), and (perhaps surprisingly) `Red Hill Mining Town'.

Anyone new to U2 wanting to purchase one of their albums, should get this one.
on 14 June 2015
Amazing album from an amazing band. Where the Streets have no name and With or without You have been redone live but still great. Every song is pretty brilliant really. This was the first album I remember, I heard of the earlier ones afterwards, and I think still the best album. Used up previous copy.
on 19 March 2016
I can remember when this first came out and is perhaps my favorite album by u2 although this was bought for someone else it I think only had scuff marks on the box as its second hand the book incl is good and the second disc is great and thers a dvd of a concert and other material - Great!
on 16 August 2017
Very good.
on 20 February 2018
Excellent quality, reasonably priced & promptly delivered
on 9 December 2017
classic album, great condition, would recommend.