Customer reviews

Irish Heartbeat
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£14.89+ £1.26 shipping

on 21 March 2003
The cover does this ground breaking album no justice - a seemingly disparate group of vagrants congregating without purpose. Press the play button and...sheer apotheosis.The Chieftains have played effectively as a backing band to a variety of artistes, but surely Van is their ultimate foil. He brings to the tradition a searing heart-felt soulfulness that transcends genre. Listening to "Carrickfergus",for example, is to experience the trailing off of a Celtic sunset with a genuinely pagan pain. Conversely , the upbeat numbers are riddled with veins of fresh-aired optimism. Utterly indispensable. Forget the novelty of "Unplugged", these guys have been passing the accoustic test for decades and the disc represents the zenith of their troubadour alchemy.
on 13 May 2017
wonderful!
bought as replacement for original vinyl - especially love 'Carrickfergus'
on 26 July 2017
Great to have these two iconic Irish musicians on an album.Ragland Road duo with these two a must for your collection !
on 23 September 2000
From the first time I heard this album in 1990 I was enthralled. There is something magic about the combination of Van Morrison and the Chieftains that engages you forever in this album. Van Morrison seems to encompass all the earthiness and attraction of the voices of the Irish over the centuries in this collection. Carrickfergus is my favourite as I am sure it is probably everyones who has heard this CD. He gives it a tragic and haunting quality which tells the story in the voice as much as in the words.
The Star of the County Down , I'll tell me ma, and Marie's Wedding offset the slower renditions beautifully, so that there is not one section of the album which seems out of balance or which you could ever want to skip over.
I take this CD everywhere, to my workplace and to do my housework. It is so engaging that I could put it on permanent play 24 hours a day 7 days a week and I defy anyone to be sick of it.
on 9 August 2001
This album combines the incredible vocals of Van Morrison with the superb instrumentalism of the Chieftains to produce a unique combination. Van adds his distinctive style to a selection of classic Irish folk numbers. He also includes a couple of his own Celtic style songs. Even if you think you don't like Irish Folk you should give this a listen and your mind could be changed. "Raglan Road" is beautifully sung and would move anybody. The rendition of "Carrickfergus" is the best I have heard anywhere. These slow numbers are interspersed with more upbeat classics to produce a fine album which I have been listening to for years without getting bored. I only wish Van would team up with the Chieftians again to produce another one of these.
on 31 January 2001
on 11 August 2013
i got this album as soon as i heard it on the radio..it was on tape..still got the tape...i don`t need to say/add anymore, thats` not already been said about this album..the songs and music are centuries old on this album. .. from the birth place, of jazz, gospel, and soul music...
on 22 July 2017
Well, this turned out NOT to be the remastered version, which appears to be as elusive as the proverbial leprechaun. Whatever game Van, his agents and the record companies are playing at - "issuing" but not distributing the product - gets right up my nose.
on 18 June 2013
Many years ago I had this on a pre-recorded cassette and I used to play it constantly. Then the tape chewed up.
I have searched for years to get it on CD, without any success. In fact it became a bit of a hobby as I scoured charity shops and CD fairs, again without success. I had seen it online but the price was always pretty high so I was delighted to see an affordable copy at long last.
I quite like The Chieftains and I quite like Van but I really love this album. I quite like Irish music but I love this album.
Every track is great and it is just as I remember it. Some good singalong tracks on it too.
Highly recommended.
on 12 August 2012
This has my all time favourite Van Morrison track, the beautiful "Raglan Road". The Chieftains and Van Morrison is such a good combination. With complimentary styles this makes for satisfying listening. The mix of songs; love songs, celebrations and deep loss and musical interplays is balanced. Stand outs, nearly all. "Irish Heartbeat" an Irish blues that wails its way across the mist. The haunting lost valley sound of "She Moved Through the Fair". The full blown Celtic party of "I'll Tell me Ma". The haunting reminiscence crooned in "Carrickfergus". It is ten tracks of vintage Van Morrison and Chieftains. Recommended.