Format: Audio CD|Change

I bought my first Jam single in 1978 and stuck by PW and his music up to the splendid "Into Tomorrow" single way back when. However, I then became disillusioned and admit that I turned into one of the dreaded "his solo stuff isn't as good as The Jam/Style Council" nightmares. That statement was spoken parrot fashion to anyone who mentioned the two words PAUL and WELLER to me in the same sentence. My argument always came unstuck however, if anyone DARED to ask me if I'd actually listened to anyone his solo material...of course we know the answer to that one, don't we?!

Last Summer I was listening yet again to "Our Favourite Shop" and I went through one of those periods where - and men will understand this - you suddenly for no apparent reason become obsessed with a particular artist again; I played the Council and The Jam constantly, read as much material as I could on Weller and generally annoyed my wife for a couple of months. It was after she said that she'd divorce me if she ever heard "The Dreams Of Children" again that I thought, well, maybe now that I'm a mature, easy kind of guy in his early 40's, I should really give Weller's solo stuff a go, so I did. I started with this album, "Wild Wood". I never looked back.

Why on earth didn't I buy this stuff years ago? "Wild Wood" is a joy, beautiful songs beautifully played. "Sunflower" kicks the whole album off and right-away I recognised the guitar refrain. There were others I'd heard before, "The Weaver", for example, so not everything was new to me. "Wild Wood" is acoustic; is laid-back; is understated; is perfect for Summer. It's just a shame that I took 15 years to realise.

Sorry Paul.
on 5 August 2015
One of Paul Weller's best albums. Great mix of rock, blues, soul. I don't think he's made one better solo album (though of course that's a subjective view). His latest offering - Saturns Pattern - comes somewhere near.
on 21 September 2015
As Paul Weller makes it into his fifth decade and a worthy (Sir Paul?) I look back at the seminal album and the great time I had listening to it. Subdued, yet plangent, Wildwood is esoteric without the sturm and drach or earlier offerings.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2010
A truly superb album that has now taken quite a large role in the soundtrack of my life.
I truly hated Weller for splitting up The Jam but I feel that he has managed to redeem himself with this album, there is not a bad track on it and whenever my ipod randomly chucks one out it instantly takes me back to the first lazy hot summer that I spent with my now wife.
Thankyou for becoming one of my heroes again Mr. Weller.
on 12 October 2005
As the title suggests, unless you have no soul, there is no reason why you shouldn't love this album.
You have the perfect mix of beautifully thoughtfull (my favourite, Wild Wood), the up-tempo (my other favourite, Weaver) and the wonderfully mellow and mildly quirky (my other other favourite, Moon on your Pyjamas).
It is also one of the most perfectly pieced and well judged albums I have ever heard (the come down after Weaver is just perfect). This is the paradigm of all that is Paul Weller, even more so than Stanley Road, and is one of the most grounded, natural and honest albums you could own.
Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, should own a copy of this and should play it whenever you feel blue, or when you need to mellow, or if its raining, or on a Tuesday, or whenever!
This is some of the best from one of the best.
on 25 July 2012
This album confirmed teht Weller was back to his best. From teh opening riff of Sunflower to the last strains of Hung Up this is a man at his creative peak. Every bit as good as the following release Stanley Road. worth getting for teh title track and the wonderful "Country". Magnificent!
on 31 May 2009
The strength of the songwriting on Wild Wood is the main thing you take from it after a few listens, Weller really had his mojo back while writing and recording Wild Wood.
There's an acoustic guitar throughout and Weller sings about lost love, time passing, his return to form and even the power of god!!!
The outstanding track for me is "Shadow of the Sun" at over 7mins long its an epic tune, and maybe Weller's finest.
"Moon on your Pyjamas" (Written for his young son) for me is the only poor song on this album, maybe though the fact I don't have kids yet means I don't appreciate it.
Check out "All the Pictures on the wall" "The Weaver" and "Hung Up" all outstanding
Easily in my Top 5 albums of all time!!!
on 24 June 2000
A friend in Harrow first played Wild Wood to me about a week after it was released (was it really six years ago?), and I was captivated straight away. Completely different to anything The Jam recorded, and far superior to anything he ever did with the Style Council, this album set a standard that all Weller's subsequent releases (Stanley Road included) have never quite lived up to. From opener 'Sunflower' to the plaintive 'Country' and oh-so-mellow 'Shadow of the Sun', there is not one duff track. Truly a superb addition to any music collection, you will never find yourself humming any of the tracks but they will still be playing in your mind over and over again!
on 25 August 2006
Mr Weller will rarely turn in a real duffer because of his instinctive songwriting and musicianship.

This was a real step forward with a collection of good and a handful of great songs.

The ubiquitous title track is a timeless classic and is surrounded by other songs where the band soars and some great British R&B (to its original definition) and some Neil Young/Nick Drake flavours break-in.

So you knew he liked the Small Faces but on tracks like "Country" there's a new arrow to the man's bow.
on 3 March 2010
This is without a doubt one of the top five albums of the 90's, maybe ever {in my opinion}.
From the opening track the superb "sunflower" the stunning title track and the classic "hung up". This album gets hold of you and leaves you wanting more.
This is paul weller at his magical best. If you don't yet own this classic album, do yourself a favour and buy it.
This is one you won't regret!!