Customer reviews

Worst Case Scenario
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 December 2015
...my brother gave me a cassette tape many moons ago with this album on one side, and Weezer's debut on the other - I became a big Weezer fan (and still persevere - ever hopeful), although I never saw or heard any more dEUS, until now...

...not sure what act of serendipity led me to this CD - maybe a local (Northern Ireland) news report mentioned a 'worst case scenario' - but find it I did, and am so glad that I did!...

...the title track is clearly brilliant, complete with initially subtle then rather blatant FZ sample (also a big FZ fan - saw him twice live, and have virtually every official release...plus many less official ones)...

...still love the bogus lo-fi 'field recording' elements, reminiscent of Captain Beefheart (no surprise there) - it all stands the test of time very well...

...other reviewers are more eloquent, but we almost all feel the same about this one (I actually feel sorry for 'Mr 2 Stars' - someone in need of serious enlightenment)...

Joe
on 28 December 2012
Probably one of the most eclectic and interesting records of the 90s. The band goes through different moods and styles and delivers a record that keeps you interested from the beginning to the end. I highly recommend it. Don't give up if the first songs scare you, dEUS are able to go from weird sounds to beautiful and catchy melodies effortlessly. I don't know how to classify this band but this record is without a doubt a piece of art.
on 28 June 2015
not keen on the album
on 12 March 2010
It lightens my heart to see all the 5-star reviews here but none of them are wrong. I've bought every dEUS album since and although they are all good, this is a genuine masterpiece. At the time I'd heard nothing like it and it still blows my mind how good it is. I recall them in an interview with MTV describing themselves as a pop band. I don't know about that but any description I offer will be clumsy, ultimately futile and I'll leave it to better people than I. All I can say is that it sits in my three top favourite albums along with Miles Davies and Morphine. I can't recommend it enough. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it now.
on 2 September 2005
'Worst Case Scenario' set out dEUS's stall of fusing modern jazz with leftfield art-rock. As bad as that may sound, it's actually an incredibly innovative album. For all the free-jazz dynamics, warped guitars and John Cale-style strings, the band didn't forget to write some great tunes, as the brilliant 'Hotellounge' proves. It's not a compromising listen, and anyone who views, say, Radiohead as too alternative may wish to avoid it. However, there's no denying the quality of tracks like the blistering psychotic rock of 'Suds & Soda' or the creepy funk of 'W.C.S.'. dEUS put Belgium on the map in musical terms, just after grunge had petered out, and 'Worst Case Scenario' stands as one the rock landmarks of the 1990s.
on 21 January 2000
Worse Case Senario leaves the listener with an almost tangible sense of joy. Dark and yet ultimately optimistic, no-one understands the inner psyche and the torment of existence in musical form like dEUS. To the average 'consumer' of music this will be nothing but freaky, to those who know music, it will be freakily amazing.
on 26 October 2007
Every single second you spend reading this is one second you're wasting. This album remains an incredible breath of fresh air. I had never ever heard anything like it, and to this day, even the band themselves have done nothing that can touch it.

Think of it as an existential fluke we're lucky to be able to hear. The precise combination of people that led to this album is something that no longer exists - they've all moved on to separate projects, and has each gone down (to some extent) his own rabbit hole.

HERE - However, is something equally sublime, punky, literary, jazzy, and rocking. I could start going on about each track, but honestly, I'd be spoiling the surprises that lie ahead of you. Suffice to say, were you not certain that this is ONE CD by ONE band, you'd think it was a compliation of the most incredible bands you've never heard.

I kid you not.

Buy the damn thing.

You are SO going to be grateful.

on 2 February 2010
Played it to death in 1994. Still playing it to death in 2010. Without doubt one of the finest pieces of music ever recorded.
on 29 November 1999
In an age of guitar bands and DJ's, dEUS stand alone, but man do they stand tall. This is a class set of recordings that will blow you away. Artistic to the end they have compiled one of the best CD's to date. Listen, and you will surely be hooked.
on 2 March 2015