Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 September 2006
I must admit I hadn't heard much Charlie Parker before buying this album as an introduction to bebops founder and one of the world's finest saxophonists to date. After listening to both CD's in this double set right through various times I was addicted and I'm sure I shall buy much more of his work very soon. Many of the bebop enthusiasts I know agreed that the choice of song's on this album were very well selected and clearly outline the saxophonists different stages in his musical career. I recommend this album to diehard bebop fans and everyone else alike either to hear the amazing musicianship, unpressedented composing skills or just to know where every musician in the world hs gained some kind of influence. Pure Genious!!!
44 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 May 2013
Every track on this album is a ten out of ten but I would suggest buying "In A Soulful Mood". It offers 3 times the number of tracks for less money. Half of the tracks on "The Essential Parker" are on "In A Soulful Mood" plus a massive selection of others all at less money!!!
on 11 February 2010
Top tunes played by a craftsman, still sounds as fresh as when it was recorded.
on 31 May 2013
There are a wide range of excellent tracks though the recording quality and remixing could be better. Still a great album
on 17 August 2011
Good quality tracks quite authentic and as good as the sound from my original vinyl LP "The Bird"! My favorite track is Scrapple from the Apple so brilliantly played and invigorating. Some of the other tracks are so relaxing and so beautifully played-Charlie Parker is and was the best!
on 6 June 2009
The Essential Charlie Parker

A BRILLIANT INTRODUCTION TO THE MUSIC OF THIS GENIUS.
on 6 December 2014