Customer reviews

Black Caesar
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 December 2009
This is one of the very best Blaxploitation soundtracks and one of James Brown's best albums. Often overshadowed by Curtis Mayfield's 'Superfly' and Isaac Hayes' 'Shaft', this album is equally the match of them. James Brown turns in some of his best vocal performances particularly on 'Mama's Dead' where his impassioned vocals sound so very genuine. The lead track, 'Down and Out in York City' easily ranks alongside the defining songs of the genre ('Across 110th Street', 'Theme from Shaft' and 'Superfly'). As expected from James Brown's early 70's work, the J.B.'s add plenty of funk.

'Down and Out in York City' appears on Soul Jazz Records Can You Dig It? The Music and Politics of Black Action Films 1969-75 - a fine overview of the Blaxploitation genre.
on 22 May 2017
Was fairly pleased with this James Brown Soul soundtrack. I actually ordered it after someone reviewed it on Amazon and rated it highly.
But personally I preferred his other Soul soundtrack "Slaughters Big Rip Off."
on 21 January 2003
This can be reviewed variably. If you like blaxploitation soundtracks, it is one of the best examples of the genre from one of the most successful films of the genre. It has some truly stunning tracks, like "The Boss", aswell as some great funky instrumental passages, evoking the era perfectly. However, for the casual listener these might be seen as mindless filler. I believe it's a fantastic funk record, but I'm biased and could never give James anything less than three stars.
on 15 January 2013
I'm a huge James Brown fan and this had passed me by except for the sample of 'The Boss' used by Nas on the great 'Get Down' track from the 'God's Son' album.

Truthfully, it's wonderful. It has everything you'd want from a JB album of the 70's - soulful in places, funky everywhere with some great vocals from JB himself and (I think) Lynn Collins and great work by the JB's as ever.

Works as a soundtrack too.

For me, it's 5* but he has done better albums in his career so I'll have to give it only 4, but I have to remind people that a James Brown 4* is everyone else's 5* in my book.
on 27 January 2012
Of all the 70s blaxploitation flicks, I think this is one of the strongest sountracks. It doesn't have the punchy choruses of some of the others, but as an album it keeps its groove throughout and comes across as a cohesive piece of work without some of the saccharine ballad fillers which the genre often suffers from.
on 14 October 2016
I am a gigantic James Brown fan and I have several collections that include his entire back catalog but there is one track I love yet dont own.
The boss is a track you will know when you hear it, it has been sampled by NAS and ICE T to name a few and a fantastic track but the rest of the album is a bit weak, not the strong funky groove you expect and many tracks you would just skip past. I am glad I have that stand out track but the album is far from his best work but worth it for a few quid.
on 9 August 2016
Enjoyed this album by the Godfather of Soul, good to hear real music again. The two tracks which stand out for me were Down And Out In New York City and The Boss, but overall very good.
on 4 February 2015
Top Album. he is still the man
on 13 December 2015
very good and unique album which transfer the feel of 70s' groove and soul music . full of atmosphere .
on 22 December 2016
Great sound track. I love James Brown music. So funky.