Customer reviews

Live at Pit
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 April 2012
Just bought this, as I'd got no Sun Ra in my collection, and its a little gem. The first track (Introduction - Cosmo Approach Prelude) is perhaps the most 'difficult'. Still interesting but with a lot drums and percussion mixed with some pretty avant-garde playing from the rest of the band. Of course my avant-garde may be your easy listening so this is all subjective, and this just might be your favorite track! I don't dislike it but it'll need a few more listens to get it.

The rest of the album is much easier. In places really swinging and with some lovely Piano from Sun Ra. Largely it has to be said in the mainstream, bluesy and straightahead, which was not what I was expecting. Perhaps some of his other albums may be more difficult, but this album certainly won't stop me buying more.

The remaining tracks are:

Angel Race - I wait for you
Can you take it
If you came from nowhere here
Astro Black
Prelude to a Kiss (Ellington)
Why was I born (Kern)
Interstellar Lo-ways

Highly recommended, and may well get 5 stars with a few more listens.