Customer reviews

Be My Love
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 March 2017
Total running time is about 31 minutes, although it is reissue of the 50's, it is not digitally remastered.
A little annoying when you hear split seconds of mono here and there, but i have not notice any noise like vinyl usually produced.
on 4 February 2001
Once in a while You get a glimpse of how God intended his created beings to sound: The velvet voiced Keely Smith is such a rare example with a truly Natural singing voice: Slowly burning from some magic inner flame it travels along the melody line, painting pictures of Longings, Tears and True Love. All the time each syllable is as audible as you can wish but at the same time never loosing that soft, dreamy character. The album Be My Love is (with a couple of exceptions) very representative of Keely's seductive singing style. The opening number Be My Love sets the picture and makes You feel like she's actually singing for You. It's beautiful, timeless, velvet voiced seduction of heart, body and soul. And it just goes on and on with titles like You made Me Love You, How Deep is the Ocean?, Fascination, My Reverie and It's All in the Game. Be My Love has opened up the world of Jazz Vocals to lots of my friends - and to be quite honest - also to Yours truly. Erik Amkoff - Stockholm, Sweden
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 February 2017
CONTENT:

“What Kind of Fool Am I” by Keely Smith, originally released on album in 1962 and now finally released on CD in 1993, is a single CD with 12 lovely songs. I have compiled a song listing (including album and singles label & number, year of release):

LP “WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I” (Dot DLP 3461)(1962):
01 What Kind of Fool Am I (Dot 45-16386)(uncharted a-side, August 1962)*rare gem; CD debut; her final single on Dot
02 Fly Me to the Moon
03 The More I See You
04 But Not For Me
05 What’s New
06 Don’t Blame Me
07 If I Should Lose You (Dot 45-16386)(b-side to “What Kind of Fool Am I”, August 1962)
08 Then I’ll Be Tired of You
09 But Beautiful
10 Love Me Tender
11 Nature Boy
12 I Love You so Much It Hurts

POSITIVE POINTS:

1 “What Kind of Fool Am I” was released by Jasmine Records in 1993, making its CD debut then. The title track was also her final single on Dot, before she moved to Reprise Records. This single was also making its CD debut even in 2017! All the songs in this set are popular standards and hits of the day.
2 Even though this set was released in 1993, the sound is very well remastered, demonstrating how advanced Jasmine Records were using the Cedar Remastering System.
3 The original album front cover was featured on the front cover of the booklet, occupying an entire page.

NEGATIVE POINTS:

1 The 4-page booklet is essentially useless, with a short essay. The inner right sleeve was filled with advertisement of other Keely’s releases on Jasmine.
2 There are no bonus tracks.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Keely Smith is indeed one of the greatest jazz-pop singers of all time, with pin-point phraseology. There is really no Singles Collection available even in 2017. As to her albums, I would highly recommend “Six Classic Albums” (Real Gone Music, 2017, 4CDs), plus separate single CDs on Jasmine Records, namely the current set plus “Dear Beloved”, “Because You’re Mine” and “Together”. You can also get rare singles and the rare album “I Wish You Love” from “The Very Best of Keely Smith” (EMI, 2CDs, 2008, 50 songs).

This set, making its CD debut with many rare gems, is totally and thoroughly enjoyable, and is highly recommended to all Keely Smith fans.
on 9 July 2010
Keely Smith has a voice that it to die for. It is clear and smooth with a constant hint of a smile in it. This is a collection of American standard songs. In some respects nothing special; but when your ears tune into her voice, the whole CD takes you to places a certain lager cannot reach. Buy it and escape the humdrum and drift into a timeless zone with Keely as your guide. Yum!She could Be My Love anytime.
on 12 October 2016
Great music, great singer. I have a few other Keely vinyl LPs in the garage roof. I must dig them out sometime.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 April 2013
What a great and underrated artist. Fell in love with her beautiful voice
back in 1958 when she was performing with Lois Prima.
on 23 July 2015