on 22 October 2017
Remembering this from my youth I bought it to share with my 7 year old son. He has really enjoyed it several times , and also the 3rd track which I hadn't realised was on the disc - Babar the elephant, a story he knows well. I can't say I really like the Dame Edna character, but it was OK and didn't put us off the narration. Very glad I bought it and looking forward to playing quite a bit more. The only downside - Peter and the Wolf isn't as long as I remember it being, but then policemen look much younger now too!
on 24 June 2013
This brought memories from my childhood as my parents had the record. Dame Edna gave a modern twist that really complimented the music and guided the children to listen for the instruments representing the different characters. Our 3 year old was gripped by it. He was very able to follow the story and identify who was entering the story.

An exciting introduction to classical music. Also made a change from children's stories on a long car journey. Enjoyable for adults. It was delivered promptly.
on 3 December 2001
The best way to introduce children to classical music is to make it fun and interesting. This CD manages this in two ways: by narrating the story along with the music and by highlighting the sounds made by particular instruments. I'm not a great Dame Edna Everage fan, but his/her narration is most fitting. My 6 year old daughter has several of the Naxos "narrated for children" stories and this is by far her favourite.
0Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 August 2017
All time favourite
on 8 June 2014
Dame Edna will not be to everyone's taste, especially her improvisations on the text. But the orchestration is lovely. The clarinet that describes the cat reminds me so much of the way our cat prances about the house, full of himself. I think kids would love this
on 22 August 2014
Like other reviewers, bought for my granddaughter who loves it. Timeless classic and one of the best interpretations I've come across, even though it isn't a recent recording.
on 12 February 2012
Bought this because I bought the book and wanted to have a CD and a book. The story is well told and has been made very child friendly with no nasties. My grandson listens to it every time he visits us. He loves it. Would recommend it for any child.
on 21 August 2017
enjoiyable
on 7 December 2012
My first son used to listen to this on tape and loved it. The tape died and so did the tape player. Now my youngest son can listen to it too - and the rest of the family - on the CD player in the car! Excellent
on 7 November 2014
Great Music not so keen on Dame Edna on this [and I am normally a big fan] I prefer the Sean Connery version with Britten