on 7 January 2002
I ordered this CD as much for Dame Edna's narration as for the musical selection, but this turns out to be a real all-round delight. Technically and musically, it is by far the most sparkling rendition of Peter and the Wolf that I've ever heard. And, although it is often grouped on recordings with Britten's Young Person's Guide, Poulenc's Babar is less well known and often overlooked. A good selection, brilliantly executed. The best tribute comes from my three-year-old son, who asks to hear it every day.
on 8 March 2004
You'll either love or hate this - personally, I think it's the best 'Young Person's Guide' and one of the best 'Peter and the Wolf' recordings available. The Poulenc I don't know so I can only say I enjoyed it too.
More importantly, the children I have played it to have also enjoyed it - although the 'Australianisms' were strange to them (We adults can enjoy them!), the sheer enthusiasm of the 'narrators' puts across a love of the underlying music. As to the orchestra - good playing serving the composers' purpose and a good clear recording.
Jolly good fun, and repeatable too.
on 3 December 2001
The best way to introduce children to classical music is to make it fun and interesting. This CD manages this in two ways: by narrating the story along with the music and by highlighting the sounds made by particular instruments. I'm not a great Dame Edna Everage fan, but his/her narration is most fitting. My 6 year old daughter has several of the Naxos "narrated for children" stories and this is by far her favourite.
VINE VOICEon 6 January 2004
I bought this for my 3-year old son who absolutely loves the Disney mini-classic VHS of the same name. I was slightly concerned that Dame Edna was the narrator incase the comedy detracted from the 'scaryness' of the story (which is half its appeal) and the educational aspect of the Orchestra. I needn't have worried as the Dame does a great job. Although her voice is condecending (on purpose) to adults, it is friendly and almost 'cuddly' to children. My son listened to the CD whilst playing in his bed-room and ran and hid his head under the bedclothes, in mock fright, when the wolf's music came on. It was a joy to witness. I am sure this score has done a lot to encourage children to either listen to or take up classical music as a hobby. That's why every Infant school should have a copy. Failing this, get one for your child. You also get Babar the Elephant and the sections of the Orchestra. At this price, it's an absolute bargain!
on 27 June 2008
I'm 37 years old and this is on my iPod. I love it.
on 8 June 2014
Dame Edna will not be to everyone's taste, especially her improvisations on the text. But the orchestration is lovely. The clarinet that describes the cat reminds me so much of the way our cat prances about the house, full of himself. I think kids would love this
on 12 February 2012
Bought this because I bought the book and wanted to have a CD and a book. The story is well told and has been made very child friendly with no nasties. My grandson listens to it every time he visits us. He loves it. Would recommend it for any child.
on 7 December 2012
My first son used to listen to this on tape and loved it. The tape died and so did the tape player. Now my youngest son can listen to it too - and the rest of the family - on the CD player in the car! Excellent
on 24 June 2013
This brought memories from my childhood as my parents had the record. Dame Edna gave a modern twist that really complimented the music and guided the children to listen for the instruments representing the different characters. Our 3 year old was gripped by it. He was very able to follow the story and identify who was entering the story.

An exciting introduction to classical music. Also made a change from children's stories on a long car journey. Enjoyable for adults. It was delivered promptly.
on 10 October 2011
I wanted this for my gransdon's birthday but was rather nervous about Dame Edna as narrator. I listened to it before sending it and was reassured - it's fine. She adds some of her own inimical comments but they are low key and it makes good listening. The music and the story are, as always, teriffic!