Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 September 2010
First, a confession: I'm a lover of the 'earthy' tones of cello and viols. Having said that, the likelihood of me enduring, let alone enjoying over an hour of double bass, even if it has piano accompaniment, is a long shot. Yet here it is! I suspect my teeth were gritted for the first chords, but 'behold', they soon relaxed, and I was able to settle down and enjoy this fine performance. One of the principal reasons for this is the extraordinary range which Quarrington manages to coax from his instrument, which often sounded much more like a cello. Also, Burashko's scintillating and sympathetic piano accompaniment adds to the richness and sparkle of the melodic lines. Additionally, the sense of bounce and 'sprung rhythmn' which infuse these performances, ensured they were anything but earthbound or leaden (another prejudice shot down!). Bottesini also deserves much of the credit, for as both a double bass virtuoso and conductor, he used the full range of the instrument, and was also committed to 'an exaltation of melody above all else'. Consequently, these are surprisingly warm and lyrical pieces given the lead instrument, and a rich and lovely surprise. Well worth investigating.
on 9 May 2013
This just arrived today, and I enjoyed it immensely. I find the double-bass very smooth, and the balance between the piano and double-bass in the composition works well. Even if you are not sure about double-bass as a solo instrument normally I recommend listening to the samples amazon provides.
on 14 July 2013
I wasn't sure I would like music for double bass, but I thought it might make a good combination with the piano. The fact that having listened to Volume 1 I have then ordered Volume 2 is sufficient recommendation.