Customer reviews

on 15 January 2007
Merzbow certainly polarizes opinion, people either love it or hate it. In fact I would not recommend that anyone buy this album if they did not already know what to expect. Be warned that this is NOT music, and in my opinion cannot be enjoyed as such.

However, I greatly enjoy listening to the noises produced by Merzbow, enough to part with real cash money for the pleasure of doing so. For me they carry the same fascination and excitement as a loud industrial piece of machinery or the operation of a jet engine. The difference with Merzbow, and this CD in particular, is that these noises are more varied, and, in my opinion, more interesting to the listener.

It is impossible to pretend to like Merzbow. Either you enjoy the noise this CD makes or you will find it disagreeable to the point of being offensive.

For those familiar with Merzbow, I found this a particularly enjoyable release, the sound is somewhere between Pink Ream and Venereology.

Maybe it is art or maybe it isn't. I'm not bothered either way actually, I just like the sound it makes.
on 4 November 2003
When I discovered that Merzbow had collaborated with Mike Patton, I decided that buying of one of his albums was a must-do. I don't think I've ever looked back from there, because Japan's finest and possibly the world's finest noise pioneer is a huge influence on my musical aspirations and my musical tatse. 'Pulse Demon' is just over an hour's worth of cold, harsh electronics which sends the listener into another world of-well, cold, harsh soundscapes. All the various frequencies and sounds collide with one another, causing a calm yet slightly disturbing atmosphere, and the extremity of this c.d is immense. The great thing about this album is that it's not positive nor negative, it's just neutral, and it lets you decide on how you want to feel when listening to this album. If you're offered the chance to see Merzbow then grab it because his live shows are something completely out of this world. Long live Merzbow and the future generation of noise!
on 15 October 2016
overrated
on 7 August 2006
Contemporary noise/art/music is now only a quasi esoteric challenge, congealed into self congratulatory flim flam, bereft of self reflexivity or insight. The limits of appreciation pushed so far that the only enjoyment to be gained is the wrong and egocentric belief that this is avant-garde and "we are part of something", in fact noise-music is just poot poot inanity, try harder, you jackals this isn't art, nor music.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse