• Gish

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 May 2016
Arrived in great condition
on 10 December 2011
Currently listening to disc 2 of this set which blows away the original album.
If you love the amazing 'Siamese Dream' you have to get this set as disc 2 has the same extreme energy and playability and also brings new life to the original album.
The perfectionist production makes the music on this disc sound like it was recorded this week.
I know the DVD disc 3 will not disappoint.
Any Pumpkins/Corgan fan needs to get this and the Siamese Dream set.
Amazon is currently the cheapest place to buy.
Get it onto your Xmas or New Year gift list now!
They're better known for the sprawling double-disc "Mellon Collie And the Infinite Sadness," but the Smashing Pumpkins first leaped onto the scene with "Gish." It's not as epic as some of their later material, but still a vibrant, musically-polished album, and one that has the flavor of experience on the first time around.
Kicking off with the undulating riffs of the excellent "I Am One," the Pumpkins slip effortlessly between multilayered hard rock (the mind-blowing "Siva," the magnificent bass-sputtering "Tristessa," the panoramic "Snail") and haunting ballads ("Rhinoceros," the vaguely psychedelic "Crush," the sweeping "Suffer") before wrapping up with the eerie "Daydream."
It's a rare band whose music can still be so relevant so long after it first came out -- let alone still being a voice for the disillusioned. Originally released in 1991, "Gish" definitely established the Smashing Pumpkins as a musical force of genuine artistry, talented songwriting and musical integrity. It's hard enough to find one of those, let alone three.
The grinding, kinetic guitars and bass in the harder songs form a wall of solid sound, except in "Siva" -- there, the sound keeps dying away to complete silence, before reviving with a swirling roar when you least expect it. At the same time, Corgan tones down the guitars to a gentle acoustic strum in the more balladic songs. Jimmy Chamberlin's lightning-fast drumming is an excellent accompaniment, as is D'Arcy's bass.
As a songwriter, few rockers can parallel Billy Corgan; his songwriting has the quality of poetry set to rock, which aren't things you generally see together. Corgan's high, reedy voice is interwoven well into the music, giving his poetic lyrics a certain heartfelt quality. And bassist D'Arcy gets to shine with her low, sweet voice in "Daydream."
"Gish" is recognizably the Pumpkins, at the roughest stage of their musical development -- but with edge, the musical force and the beauty that just needed refinement.
on 14 April 2011
I am not a 'Pumpkins Fan'. Being a little old for this, I have spent most of my adult life filling in the gaps on 60s and 70s, which I still believe was the golden age of rock music. However, one day was one day when I decided to check the Pumpkins out. And I started at the beginning - with 'Gish'. And gosh, what a find Gish was! I simply love this album, and liken it to U2's "Achtung Baby". Beneath the sometimes harsh and apparently hectic overlays and the most exquisite rhythms and lyrics. This is so rich, complex, so satisfying in the long term. And what I like most is that I find it difficult to 'remember' this music; so that each time I listen, it is as if I re-discover it. And so the enjoyment is repeated upon each listening. Subsequently bought "Siamese Dream" & "Mellon Collie...", but sorry - gish remains the masterpiece for me. Bravo Smashing Pumpkins!
on 19 July 2000
Gish is the debut you never expected to be true. It somehow portrays a band that will unquestionably develop and yet it is still wrapped in skillful lyrics, soaked in remarkable musicianship and tied together in a splendid bow of distinctiveness that never stops to amaze. It is almost an appetizer of what is to come and yet it is notably excellent on its own. Like all Smashing Pumpkins albums it has its own individual sound and feel. It can knock you down or soothe your soul. It may take a while for you to actually digest (which in my opinion is the sign of a good album) but once you do it will settle itself into your heart and head and stay there with all the greats.
What may be said of The Smashing Pumpkins which has not already been said? The band's debut "Gish", while being a decade old retains its energy and vigour tenaciously. Basically, this album is one of psychedelic rock, from the excellent "I am one" to "Tristessa". However, the aspect which appeals most is the effortless way in which Billy Corgan oscilattes between hard rock and dreamy numbers, e.g "Crush". It is only sad that such a talented band came to be eclipsed by others such as Nirvana. So for all those new to the Pumpkins sound, from this album expect a rough ride, with grinding guitar riffs,dive bombing solos and truly some of the best drumming ever to grace a rock band, courtesy of Jimmy Chamberlin. If you like rock, you'll like this.
This is an impressive debut, I bought "Mary, Star of the Sea" by Zwan and enjoyed it so I decided to investigate the Smashing Pumpkins. This album opens beautifully with "I am the one" and follows with "Siva". Here the Pumpkins trademark is set as Billy Corgan and James Iha layer the guitars while the rythym section just rocks on. The guitarists and the rythym section in this album seem to be an excellent example of symbiosis, two completely different species cooperating together to produce something better than the separate parts could create.
I like guitar rock, I love Zeppelin and the White Stripes, the Foo Fighters and the Rolling Stones. This album shows how, even at the very beginning, The Smashing Pumpkins were right up there with those bands.
on 11 July 2012
Are you were wondering whether or not to buy this record...?? Thinking - yes 15 quid is a lot to pay on 1 album let alone the fact that, if given the choice you'd rather buy the Siamese dream remaster. I was also caught in the same dilemma. However having never owned a copy of Gish I thought what the hell and popped a copy of this in the basket. I would like to say that, having listened to the CD2 tracks, this CD alone is worth the cash. It sounds like A clean modern Billy without a lot of his pretentious weirdness from some of the later stuff.

Yes some of the tracks are scattered in the far corners of of some of the best of's and the chances are that some fans may have some of these, but there are some real gems here I've never heard before. And they sound great. Yet to put my finger on why this cd is so special. Really am looking forward to getting to know this album. Top class.
on 8 June 2003
This album is sheer brilliance from start to finish. It is not as accessible as Siamese Dream but that makes it all the better. When I first heard it, I thought that there were quite a few dull, slow tracks - such as Rhinoscerous, however after repeated listening I just couldn't get those slow, beautiful, eerie and intense melodies out of my head. Even the full on fast rock numbers make room for some quiet, reflective moments - such as with track 2 - "Siva". With an album this great it really is difficult to pick out a favourite track. Every time I listen to Gish, I discover something new in one of the songs that didn't grab my attention before. The fact that most of the songs grow on you makes for these kind of pleasant surprises because with 99% of albums the opposite is true - the more you listen to it, the more you tire of it.
AN ABSOLUTE MUST for Pumpkins fans. If you are new to the smashing pumpkins I suggest you start with Siamese Dream before buying Gish.
55 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2011
I'd never really listened to the Smashing Pumpkins before, and I was really excited for the album to arrive. It's very guitar driven, so I absolutely loved it. In a couple of songs the rhythm guitar reminded me of Guns N' Roses, which I thought was brilliant xD But The Smashing Pumpkins have their own unique sound, and it's perfect for background music. At the moment it's my favourite album to just put on in the background and relax to :) Billy Corgan's vocals mix with the music so well, and I especially love 'Bury Me'.

An awesome album from an amazing band, I highly recommend Gish! If you're into bands like Deftones, you'll really enjoy this :)