Customer reviews

Prokofiev & Shostakovich: Violin Concertos No. 1
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 November 2017
The Shostakovich is not as familiar to me as the Prokofiev and so I bought this cd (and its companion cd for the 2nd's) for that purpose as well as having another version of the Prokofiev (with a top notch violinist, Orchestra and conductor) in my collection. I also wanted to compare the Prokofiev with my Perlman cd. My final analysis of this cd is that it will be staying in my collection and it really is superbly played and recorded. But , for all its merits (and it is truly worthy of the five stars I have given it) I'd also have to say that I still think Perlman is the best for the Prokofiev.
on 6 March 2001
Whilst I had heard both of these pieces before, I could not have said I was particularly familiar with either. This has changed because of this recording, which is full of energy and bravado, yet stunningly lyrical in the slower passages. For anyone who has a liking for either composer, I urge you to listen and fall in love with this recording. Both are quite different to what you might expect from the composers, yet familiar enough to recognise where the music is coming from. Vengerov's showy style suits the solo part exceptionally well - you could tell the pair of them very much enjoyed the performance. Their compilation of the second concertos (also teldec) is further worth a listen - not quite up to this recording, but still stunning.